cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

7900xtx or 4080 super

If you had a choice between a 7900xtx or a 4080 super, which one would you chose and why. 

I am seeing that the 7900 beats the 4080 in most bench marks for ray tracing. Also with the new reports of the thermal paste issues on the Nvidia cards makes me not want to look at them. However these higher end cards are not my expertise and I get lost in some of the comparisons. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
6 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Not to bash or something but in a AMD community forum there is a chance that the Radeon card will get more positive feedback.

However I'll give you an useful advice. Browse YouTube, not the big influencers but rather the small guys for the games you play the most, then see some comparisons.

At this time my personal opinion is:

Radeon cards have been so solid to me that I would't trade for nvidia, if it works like a charm don't mess with it.

The Englishman

Agreed.

Performance over Pretty.

If you have your choice between the following cards? which one would you pick?

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 7900XTX GAMING OC 24GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card Black GV-R79XTXGAMING ...

XFX Mercury AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Magnetic Air 24GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Gaming Graphics Card Blac...

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB

Having a bit of everything in the past, gigabyte and powercolor where the worst cards I had, however thats a nonsense fact for your purchase.

Let me tackle it factually.

Sapphire has the highest clock from stock (among all the 7900XTX) so it should be Faster, albeit marginally. Its smaller cooler could mean more heat. ASUS TUF has the best power delivery and its bigger cooler may indicate a better card in the long run including overclocking, unfortunately there is no RoG design this time around and TUF is still expensive.

If you can only pick one of those two, I would go XFX.

The Englishman
tanazzz
Adept III

If you're using a 240hz monitor or a multi-monitor setup AMD is mega buggy. You're going to get black screens/ grey screens, driver timeouts and god knows what else. Just pay the Nvidia premium and have a peaceful life or buy AMD and become a professional troubleshooter. Just browse around these forums and see the amount of people with massive issues, and ask yourself - Do I want to be a part of this circus?

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Just speaking with some experience over the last year. There are 2 PC's in my house. One with a 4090FE and one with 7900XT. I actually have a smoother experience with the Radeon that's paired with a 7800X3D. SMART access memory is great. I've got a weird bug where if I'm gaming on the 4090 it will "Alt/Tab" itself to the desktop and I have to manually click back into the game so I can resume. It sucks when I'm at a boss fight or something and die because of it. Either way, both the cards you're looking at are very capable cards, whichever way you go.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED