cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Can't decide - AM4, AM5, or wait for new AM5 parts?

I've started another computer mod (click here to see it), and before I go much further in the development phase, I need to make some decisions about what sort of gaming computer I'm going to build.   I'm posting this question here in the Part Recommendations section, because I'm not getting much exposure in the Modders Group.  

From my Modders Group posting:

I've been thinking about the components that might fit inside this case.  I'm also thinking that I need to have many of them on hand before I start cutting things and bending metal.  So, I could use some help with deciding on these options:

(1)  Go with an AM4 build, using an X3D CPU like the 5800X3D and DDR4 RAM

(2)  Go with an AM5 build, using an X3D CPU like the 7800X3D and DDR5 RAM

(3)  Wait a few months for the next AM5 motherboards and CPUs (9000 series, perhaps an X3D CPU)

Other constraints I have will be to use a micro-ATX motherboard, a two-fan GPU (maybe the RX 7900 GRE from ASRock (Challenger) at $550 USD), a 1K Watt PSU (maybe the beQuiet! Straight Power 12 Platinum at $190 USD), a 240 mm AIO to cool the CPU, and at least one case fan to pull air in from the bottom.  I'm thinking about mounting the AIO radiator in the rear, but I will also consider the top.  If I use the metal bars to support the motherboard, then having the AIO in the rear is easier to deal with.  Mounting the AIO in the top would mean it needs to be placed between the metal bars - so it is possible.  

The most costly approach would be to wait for the new 9000 series of CPUs, and that would delay this build by a few months.  I could use an old micro-ATX motherboard as a template for building up the mounting support though.  I could get an AIO that's rated for both the AM4 and AM5 sockets and install that too.  I could get the PSU now also.  All the cutting could be completed without having the CPU, the RAM and the GPU on hand, as long as I allow for adjustment in the mounting so it can accommodate the GPU and it's DP cable.

What do you guys think?  Should I buy existing tech now or wait for the new stuff coming in the next few months while I get the PSU, the AIO and maybe the GPU soon so I can start the cutting and building process in the next few weeks?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

GO AM5.

You can use a 7600 until newer CPU's drop.

They are relatively expensive.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've been leaning that way.  The AM4 platform would be cheaper though.  There are pretty good deals on the 5000 and 7000 series of CPUs with the X3D architecture to keep them in the running.  It's not knowing what the price points will be 30 days from now that has me guessing.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
rtbh99
Challenger

i would just wait a little bit to buy the cpu since 9000 series is supposed to launch end of july

---
lets talk about rtbh99
Axxemann
Forerunner

Tough call. I'm sticking with AM4 for the foreseeable future. I'm getting scary performance from the 5800X3d/6800XT combo under water. If the 5900X and 5950X come down in price, I'd say go with one of them depending on use case. If it's for gaming, Any X3D will rock the block.

I recently found a decent Video editor with upscaler to convert some of my old motorcycle vids from 720p to 1080 and 1440p. The footage just ain't cutting it to go all the way to 4K, but I did try on some other 720p videos and the upscale to 4K was impressive. I'm still messing with doing some enhancement passes before going all the way up to a 4k upscale, or upscaling in stages (IE: 720 to 1080, then 1080 to 1440 then 1440 to 4k.) I've got the storage space to make it work. It just takes a lot of uptime, even with the CPU and GPU sharing the workload. But MSI won't let me enable PBO on the X3D, and IIRC... AMD started allowing that to happen.

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Here's a possible listing of prices that have been leaked:

As for Ryzen 9000 Series CPU pricing, the Philippine e-commerce platform BTZ has listed prices for all models as follows (converted into USD via TechPowerUp):

Ryzen 9 9950X: $648
Ryzen 9 9900X: $597
Ryzen 7 9700X: $409
Ryzen 5 9600X: $315

Of course, regional pricing will vary, but this gives a rough ballpark figure for what to expect. With a $650 price point, the flagship Ryzen 9 9950X would appeal to those putting together a high-end build. The Ryzen 5 9600X at around $300 also makes sense. Either way, the pricing looks like it will end up being similar to the Ryzen 7000 Series launch.

What we don't see are the release dates for the X3D series and their prices.  Since I'm building a gaming machine, I want to focus on the X3D models.  I'm thinking that I should get a 7000 series X3D CPU on the AM5 platform.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I went with option 2, meaning an AM5 socket X3D 7000 series CPU.  Today (20 June 2024) I drove over to MicroCenter after checking prices on the parts I wanted and I picked up an AMD 7800X3D bundle, an ASRock RX7900 GRE two-fan video card, a 1200 Watt Gold beQuiet! PSU (price-matched to Newegg's price), and two M.2 drives, 1 TB for the OS and 2 TB for games (one price-matched to a $10 cheaper price on a sale that ended recently).  Using my MicroCenter card saved me an additional 5%, so this stuff cost me just under $1,500 USD.  I still need to figure out what two-fan or three-fan CPU cooler to get and then some case fans too.  I might have to mount that CPU cooler outside the case, meaning the back I suppose.  

The AMD CPU / Motherboard / RAM bundle was $479.99The AMD CPU / Motherboard / RAM bundle was $479.99

This should be an awesome gaming machine when I'm done building it.This should be an awesome gaming machine when I'm done building it.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Be sure to follow my blog in the Modders Group to see what progress has been made on this build.

Pulling the double-pane glass out of the door so I can let this system breathe.....Pulling the double-pane glass out of the door so I can let this system breathe.....

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I can't wait to see the finished build, This is such a "cool" idea, Pun intended lol

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You need to monitor my build blog in the modders section.  Here's a teaser of another part that recently arrived:

Three fans that will mount in the front door.Three fans that will mount in the front door.

0 Likes

I know the feeling. so what I am doing is utilizing the 7800x3d for my cpu, then waiting for the new 870 boards to come in. the new boards at the base have all the features that I want. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB