cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX: Official AMD Statement for customers experiencing unexpected throttling

Hello Red Team,

We are working to determine the root cause of the unexpected throttling experienced by some while using the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards made by AMD. Based on our observations to-date, we believe the issue relates to the thermal solution used in the AMD reference design and appears to be present in a limited number of the cards sold. We are committed to solving this issue for impacted cards. Customers experiencing this unexpected throttling should contact AMD Support (https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-call).

Thank you

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
13 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I hope the problem identification and solution are found quickly.  My guess is the fill fraction in the heat pipe cooler is not consistent.  But I'm no thermal engineer.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

@BigAl01 did you watch DeBauer's video on the Vapor Chamber? Interesting stuff.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

You would think that AMD would be proactively reaching out to their customers to make this right.

Hi friends, let me update for the situation;

At the end of my e-mail correspondence with Sapphire headquarters and Sapphire Turkey distributor Arena Computer Company for days, I received the following e-mail and message from Sapphire this morning;

"Dear Sir;

Our distributor has sent us an RMA request for this card, we will follow our RMA procedure to resolve the situation.

Please check with them again.

"Thanks."

I am currently waiting for RMA and refund approval from the distributor company, I hope it will be approved.

@MuratBayrakci Shame you're getting a refund. The XTX seemed like a good card. What are you going to aim for now once you get your money back?

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
ajlueke
Grandmaster

You can aim for a non-reference XTX.  I managed to snag a Gigabyte 7900 XTX Gaming OC off Newegg for MSRP.  That card will be arriving on Monday.  It still has the two 8-pin connectors vs three, so I am guessing it is still the reference PCB.  It does have the Windforce cooler on it though, so that should mitigate the hotspot issue.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Good morning everyone, 

In case you missed it, here a video featuring our SVP and GM Scott Herkelman addressing the RX 7900 XTX Cooler & Performance:

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

This is great news for the XTX owners (the ones affected)! Love seeing AMD jump into action!

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Is the thermal problem still an ongoing issue or has it been resolved. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Hey all.

Sorry for going off grid for a while.  Other things I had to attend to.

Yes, I would love to have a new 7900 XTX, but I would rather put the $$$$ toward other uses, (ie; new rifle).

My old RX 480 is meeting my needs easily and I can't justify the cost of even a new 6700 XT for my use.  If I ever do need a stronger GPU, I can simply power up my Ryzen 9 3900X with a RX 5700 XT.  

Anyway, Spring is here and my time at the computer will be less and less.  Have a lot of land that needs tending (850 acres).  Even when your retired it takes maintenance.  Then there will be some time at my range getting some new rifle scopes zeroed in.  

So until next winter, my presence will be far less than usual.  It appears that the forum members have things well under control.  With the 7000 series being the more common CPU and GPU my experience is fast becoming obsolete, like me.  LOL

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

What are you buying for a rifle @Vynski ? I'm an avid hunter here in Canada

About a year ago I passed up a good opportunity to purchase a WBY 460 from another forum I am a member of.  I was ready to notify him to complete the sale and for some reason I just thought "Why do I need a bigger gun than my Ruger .375, and the answer was pretty clear, I don't"  Anyway, I've kicked myself 100 times for not finishing that procedure.  Now I'm considering probably the most universal rifle of all, a 30-06.   It will fill a minor gap in my collection.   My complete collection:

1. 1966 Winchester 290 .22LR
  2. 1969 Winchester 94 Classic 30-30, 26" Octagon barrel
  3. 1969 Winchester 94 Classic 30-30, 26" Octagon barrel, (not a repeat)
  4. 1977 Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag
  5. 1978 Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag
  6. 197X WBY .340 Mag
  7. 2012 Ruger Hawkeye African .375
  8. 2019 Ruger MPR AR15 5.56

I do my own reloading and have dies for each caliber.  The 5.56 I only reload special loads because the price difference is just not worth the hassle with the 55 gr FMJ rounds that I just use for target shooting.  You can purchase new rounds for just pennies more than you can load them from scratch.

I don't even hunt anymore due to my age, (will be 74 in a couple of months).

The philosophy that i use with computers and rifles is that; "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

I'd say that I love my guns more than I love my computers, but it's close!  LOL

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

No my good friend, never obsolete. 

Every good input from your experience counts!

The Englishman