Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Ardjin
Adept I

AM5 Motherboard Advice

Hi there!

After being quite sure of my choice with the ASUS TUF X670 Motherboard, I've started to doubt myself. I unfortunately don't have any experience with motherboard manufacturers to know where one might be preferable, or not, but I've got a few choices locally that are all relatively close in price. The build, per my previous post, is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cQNCY9.

The choices are:

Asus Tuf X670E - $370

Asus Rog Strix B650-A - $338

Gigabyte GA-X670 Aorus Elite AX - $347

Gigabyte GA-B650 Aorus Elite AX - $322

I just wanted to find out whether you guys reckon I should stick to the TUF, or switch to one of the others? The main reason I thought about the TUF is that the Asus software and bios seem to be quite good, and the PCIe 5.0 slot might come in handy if I upgrade the GPU in a few years.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

I personally like and am biased toward Asus motherboards even though they tend to be more expensive than other OEM Motherboards.

In the past, Asus was known for it High Quality components used in the Manufacture of their Motherboards. I am not sure if that is still true of not.

I have purchased two Asus TUF Motherboards, AM3+ and now a AM4. The AM3+ last almost 8 years before going bad.

My current AM4 Motherboard has been working fine without any issues so far in about a year.

MSI, Gigabyte, & ASRock and possibly Biostar all produce good quality Motherboards. Just depends on the model you pick.  I would say the X500 & X600 Motherboards are all good choices from those OEM Manufacturers.

I would google the Motherboards for all Reviews that you are interested in purchasing and see what Customer Reviews are like.

Amazon, Walmart, Bestbuy, Newegg, etc. I would look at the One Star reviews to see if there is anything common that is bad about each motherboard.

NOTE: of the two Asus Motherboard you posted I would go with the X670E TUF motherboard.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I personally like and am biased toward Asus motherboards even though they tend to be more expensive than other OEM Motherboards.

In the past, Asus was known for it High Quality components used in the Manufacture of their Motherboards. I am not sure if that is still true of not.

I have purchased two Asus TUF Motherboards, AM3+ and now a AM4. The AM3+ last almost 8 years before going bad.

My current AM4 Motherboard has been working fine without any issues so far in about a year.

MSI, Gigabyte, & ASRock and possibly Biostar all produce good quality Motherboards. Just depends on the model you pick.  I would say the X500 & X600 Motherboards are all good choices from those OEM Manufacturers.

I would google the Motherboards for all Reviews that you are interested in purchasing and see what Customer Reviews are like.

Amazon, Walmart, Bestbuy, Newegg, etc. I would look at the One Star reviews to see if there is anything common that is bad about each motherboard.

NOTE: of the two Asus Motherboard you posted I would go with the X670E TUF motherboard.

Thanks for the reply. My gut feeling so far is also slanted towards the Asus boards, and I reckon for $30, it is probably still better to go with the X670 then. The reviews on it seem rather good so far.

You've got that right.  For $30 more go with the next level up if you can afford it.  That has been the rule since early 1980's.  

I'm an MSI guy, but ASUS has always been my number 2 go to boards.  

Good choice you made.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Have to agree with our friends here! At the end of the day, look up some reviews on the boards and make an executive decision, hehe. I myself have been looking at ASUS for my future AM5 build if that helps! 😅

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hey!

You should stick with the tuf since it has better VRM and connectivity. The Strix A version has the Quick release Button for GPU and the White theme going, but its not that amazing. 

You can bump up the action to the pricey a RoG Strix B650E E Gaming that has even better VRM than the Tuf, more pci 5.0 nvme slots specially if you plan 2xnvme in the future, dual reinforced full 16x slot, better QVL, Quick release GPU Button, more connectivity and ez LCD for troubleshooting with codes.

But the TUF should do a good job if you dont plan overclocking.

I bought the RoG Strix X670E A version that is quite nice but in the ASUS world, E Gaming versions are always superior to A, F, I, TUF, proart and prime.

The quality is amazingly good, my computer is top to bottom ASUS RoG. 

The Englishman

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply. My initial plan was actually to get the Strix B650E-F, which with import tax from Amazon would be the same price as the TUF X670 locally. The B650E-E would run me $100 more, which is a bit beyond my budget. But from what I've read, I think the TUF should do everything I need and more at this point. Still very tempted by the B650E-F's aesthetic, but it'll put my build a full month back while I wait for Amazon. I'll give you guys an update next month when I've got all the parts. Gonna take a week off to build and enjoy the pc 🙂

0 Likes

Stick with the TUF, only the B650E-E Gaming can outmatch the X670E TUF.

Aesthetics is great but not at any cost.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Just to update this, I actually got the Strix B650E-E on sale for the same price as the TUF, so I placed my order ASAP. Shall I'll hopefully have all the components this weekend, and can share the final product \m/

I can't really promise that you'll have the best experience with it, although I sure hope you do.

The E versions are really good, I have no regrets with my former RoG Strix B450 E.

You got 2 slots out of 4 ready for Gen 5 NVME so that's blazing fast if you want to upgrade storage later on. (2 lanes of Gen5 is as fast as 4lanes of Gen4), plenty of power delivery with that VRM config, lots of IO and the tiny but handy error code screen thingy.

I'm sounding like a broken record here so, good luck with the build.

Don't forget to share some photos here 😉

The Englishman
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Sorry for being late to the party guys... 😅

@Ardjin I looked at the parts you've listed via PCPartpicker...it's gonna be a great gaming rig! I especially like the Fractal Design case you've selected. I owned an older model a few years ago and just loved it. Easy to expand, supported most fan's dimensions, bays, and had plenty of room to fit a large GPU (~300+ mm), CPU Cooler an AIO. Not to mention it was "elegant". Good choice! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes
Ardjin
Adept I

Thanks for everyone's advice on the build, I'm quite proud of it, even though it's nothing fancy, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it 🙂

20230326_170607.jpg

20230326_170538.jpg

20230327_172954.jpg

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Nice! Thank you for sharing the pictures of your rig! What matters is that you like it, and are happy with the performance. 

Which motherboard did you end up buying? And are you playing any games? If so, which ones? 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

We love to see it @Ardjin! Clean build and it looks like it'll get the job done with that 6950 XT. 👀 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

You've done a great job!!!

The build looks very clean, sober and POWERFULL!

TIP: There should be some stickers on the board package to put on that CMOS battery 😉

https://youtube.com/shorts/V0is5FZK3Fw?feature=share 

The Englishman
0 Likes