cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Lmb
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 6600 XT dead after months of crashing

This Gpu has been crashing randomly and and the drivers have to be reinstalled constantly. Today it crashed again, updaters windows and the and driver. Now the gpu is dead. No fans running. This has been nothing but a nightmare since Christmas.  

the monitor would shut off while th pc was running. We would have to restart. Then reinstall drivers because windows disabled it. 

what is going on?

0 Likes
4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

what's  your full system specs? .. including make/model of your power supply

ThreeDee PC specs
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

With the little information you have provided, I'm going to need more, it sounds like you are experiencing Windows overwriting your display drivers. Here is a guide that helped me. https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/how-to-stop-updates-for-drivers-with-windows-update...

Here is another method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcv4OlFqD-E&t=84s

Both require you to remove the drivers that Windows updated to. I would use a tool like DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility. After this you need to reinstall the proper drivers from the AMD support page.

This is assuming you can get a picture out to your display.

Again, more information would help so much in this situation, because the symptoms could also have to do with your hardware configuration. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/information-required-when-posting-a-discussion/ta-p/4227...

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
Denbot
Adept II

The driver crashes seem to plague AMD GPUs, but when you get the tweaked or dialed in its happy days.

I'm guessing you have a none reference card, these normally come pre overclocked but much higher boost frequency capability.... But the power seems to be limited, when running GPU Z the power draw always flat lines 200-300mhz under the max boost, and what do you know, when the card boosts it tends to black screen, driver reset yada yada yada.

I'd try these:

First I'd check which RAM XMP profile is being applied, just the 5600/5800 CPUs don't have a great pass rate above 3200Mhz, they don't seem to like the FLCK going over 1600Mhz, I'd try a lower RAM XMP profile, once stable you can try tighter timings to make up for the loss in RAM clock speed, and also CPU curve optimisers to lower core voltages, lowering temps and potentially increasing core clock boosting. If the system does hang/crash check the motherboard debug lights, if the memory isn't happy you should see a light on the board or an error code, depending on the board. 

Then try in the other if the above does improve stability. 

1.  AMD Driver DDU (GPU Drivers Only)

2.  Increase power limit in adrenalin software

3.  Apply a custom fan curve to keep the GPU cooler

4.  Reduce the max frequency by 200-300mhz or to the quoted max boost of the reference version of your card, in this case the 6600xt reference card boosts to 2589Mhz

Also worth checking task manager while running games, I've seen the Samsung QVO drivers cause crashes when the cache runs out, your looking for 100% usage on the OS SSD/HDD.

0 Likes