cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Rien1
Newcomer

Radeon RX 5700 XT Driver Timeout

So I've had this PC and graphics card for about 5 years almost now. It used to give me a lot of trouble with this issue a couple of years back (often when I had the software installed in addition to just the driver). I forget how exactly I was able to (at least for a while) mitigate/"fix" it... using just the driver without Adrenaline software worked to an extent, but after a while it would come back. For me, it was also possibly a power issue thing since the computer sleeping would sometimes affect it, but that is no longer a factor currently.

Anyway after about a year and a half of no problems it seems to have come back. It's not only when gaming (in fact some games seem to work fine, like Civ VI for example). But even just browsing the net, anytime there's a site with some kind of video player embedded or some animated graphic content or something it freezes up a bit, I see a black screen for a few seconds, and then the app either crashes or I see the error message (if I have the AMD Radeon software installed; if not I can find it under Windows Event Viewer for System events). Sometimes I'm able to push through and play the content and it's okay for a bit, but it happens very often. Like even having the Steam client going and playing a trailer for a game makes the thing freeze and crash. Many games are basically unplayable after a bit but others are fine.

Here's the thing: I never modified anything relating to my GPU, I never overclocked anything on my system, don't use MSI Afterburner, haven't done anything with RAM either. Not sure what's causing this instability. So that being said, what should I be looking at to improve this? Is it just time to get a new card?

I've used the AMD Cleanup utility in safe mode, and installed the latest or previous drivers, including chipset, to no avail.

Apparently others have had this issue, but from what I see most of them have been modifying/overclocking their systems and using more advanced setups, whereas I haven't. It also isn't just a game thing for me, and happens with other apps or web browsers.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

0 Likes
0 Replies