cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gdaylors
Journeyman III

Problems after lightning 7900xtx

Hello, A few months ago I bought a 7900 XTX everything worked well. I used pytorch. Yesterday it rained and there was a little lightning. After the lightning, the computer stopped seeing the video card. I do not know what to do? When I turn on the computer the fans turn on and then don't stop. Please help...

0 Likes
7 Replies
kchalupa
Adept I

Hello,

Please don't panic, try reseating the card (please be gentle) and if possible, try it in another computer. Is everything else in the computer working correctly? By the fans, do you mean the GPU fans or something else. Just want to check. In the task manager does the GPU show up in the performance tab? One more thing, check the BIOS and make sure the card is enabled and see if you can find anything there. Let me know what you find.

-K

0 Likes
gdaylors
Journeyman III

Yes - GPU fans. The video card stopped being displayed, and pytorch also stopped seeing it

Screenshot from 2024-03-24 00-00-41.png

0 Likes
kchalupa
Adept I

OK, since the fans are going, the electronics are working and power is going into the card. That's a good start. Make sure the GPU power plug is nice and tight, you could try reseating that. Let me know if that changed anything.

Do you want to try reseating the GPU? Shut down your computer and pull the cord and try to power the computer on a few times, so that it will dissipate any charge on the board. Please be very gentle with it. Does yours have a L shape that holds it in place? If so, look for a latch or a little plastic piece that holds it in. Do not yank it. Make sure you unscrew the screw that holds the card down, that's on the outside of the computer. Do you have another computer that you can try it in?

Here's a video that shows how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICS37e4ObzA

0 Likes
gdaylors
Journeyman III

Screenshot from 2024-03-24 12-13-12.png

Nothing helped, everything remained as it was. I had an old video card from another manufacturer, I tried to connect it, it works. I also tried reinstalling the drivers. Radeon™ Software for Linux® version 23.20.00.48 for Ubuntu 22.04.3 HWE with ROCm 5.7
Nothing helps.

0 Likes
kchalupa
Adept I

OK, I'm sorry that didn't get us anywhere. Can you look in the Device Manager (Control Panel) and see if the card is detected there. Look in the BIOS as well. Do you have another computer that you can try it in, even an older computer that has the PCIe slot can work (it may just not run as fast), just install the drivers and try it out. See if it appears in the BIOS on the other computer to see if it shows up also.

Let me know what you find. If you don't get anything on the other computer, you should look into getting it RMA'd so they can look at it.

0 Likes
gdaylors
Journeyman III

I tried connecting the 7900 XTX to my server "Aic Server Xp1-p202vl" and to my great surprise, everything worked. Windows 10 is installed on the server. Afterwards, I reinstalled the GPU into my computer. and removed Radeon™ Software for Linux® version 23.20.00.48 for Ubuntu 22.04.3 HWE with ROCm 5.7. I used 5.7 for Pytorch stable release. And installed -Radeon™ Software for Linux® version 23.40.2 for Ubuntu 22.04.3 HWE with ROCm 6.0.2 and everything worked. I'm very glad that everything worked. It’s very strange why the previous driver suddenly stopped working. Thanks for the help...

0 Likes

You got it my man, I'm glad that I could be of help to you. Enjoy your day and get gaming on that card!

0 Likes