Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

treekilla3
Adept I

No stable output with HDMI Splitter

Hi all,

I've got a HP Victus Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5700G - Radeon RX 6600XT 32GB DDR4-3200MHz SDRAM 512GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 Solid State Drive running Windows 11.  I'm using this system in a church setup and need to output a secondary display from this machine to 4 locations around the church.  When I connect the HDMI splitter to the system, it shows up in windows as a secondary display but the output through the HDMI splitter only flashes on screen for a brief second and then goes to black as if there is no signal being received.  Windows still reports that it sees the secondary display as "Cat Splitter".  Bypassing the splitter and connecting directly to one of the monitors seems to work.

I get the same result whether I connect a monitor directly  to the passthrough (HDMI OUT) on the splitter or whether I connect it to one of the ports connected over Cat6.  Thinking that something might be wrong with the splitter, I connected 2 different laptops to the splitter as the source and those worked perfectly fine.  I then took the splitter home to try on my personal computer and PlayStation and again it performed flawless. I then reconnected the splitter to the original box and the issue was the same with having the signal flash for a second and then fading to black.  Changing the resolution output didn't seem to do anything.  When I changed the framerate, the image would then again flash for a second before going black.  The results were the same whether I used the DP or HDMI output on the computer. 

I then decided to purchase another HDMI over Cat splitter to test (different brand).  The results were exactly the same where both HDMI Splitters seem to work flawlessly with everything that I connect to it except the original machine.  

In all of my testing, I used Cat6 cables and HDMI 2.1.  The only time either splitter doesn't work is when connected to the main pc.

Here are the 2 different splitters that I've used to no avail:
- J-Tech Digital - HDMI 2.0 4K 1x4 Splitter Extender Over Single Cable CAT6 [JTECH-14EX50]
- OREI 1x4 HDMI Extender Splitter Multiple Over Single Cable CAT6/7 [HD14-EX165-K]

Are there any known issues or workaround when using an HDMI Extender/Splitter with a AMD Ryzen 7 5700G - Radeon RX 6600XT configuratiion?

Thanks

0 Likes
4 Replies

So you are connecting 5 Monitors to your AMD 6600XT correct?

4 Monitors through a HDMI Splitter.

Also what are all the Resolutions  and Hz of all the Monitors that are going to be connected?

Are all the Monitors strictly HDMI inputs or does it also have DP Ports?

It is possible there isn't enough bandwidth on the HDMI port to support all those monitors.

DP Port you can connect several monitors to one DP Port using a  MST adapter or dock with HDMI outputs.

Or connect 2 monitors to each DP Port on the GPU card using a MST adapter or dock with HDMI outputs.

Here is an article about the maximum Bandwidth of both HDMI 2.1 and DP 2.0 and max Resolutions and Hz: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/displayport-2-everything-you-need-to-know/

Here is an example from DP website connecting several monitors to one DP 1.2 port: https://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Screenshot 2023-06-26 134354.png

Note: DP versions 1.4 or higher versions would have different multiple display resolutions than above.

EDIT: From past reading about this subject the lower the Resolutions and Hz the more Displays you can connect. since each display uses less bandwidth when using lower Resolutions and Hz settings.

0 Likes

Ultimately, there should be 5 total connected but I haven't gotten anywhere near that. I'm simply trying to get one to connect through the splitter at the moment.  I should also mention that the splitter is powered. 

Currently, I have one hdmi cable (I also tried using the DP port) connected to the splitter. From the splitter I can't even get a picture to show up using the passthrough HDMI port.  The resolution is set to 1920 X 1080 at 60hz.  I also went through every possible resolutions and frame rate option available and nothing works.  

This same splitter has worked with every other device that I have connected to it including my old Dell my old $300 dell laptop.  

If you need 5x monitors in total, did you try 4x from GPU + 1x from onboard? 

0 Likes

I did not try this as I need to send the signals over a great distance to the other monitors via cat 6 cables.  What is needed is to have a two monitor configuration where the secondary monitor is what is replicated by the splitter and sent to their destinations

0 Likes