cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Anzkiiii
Journeyman III

HELP

Hi, as the post title says, I've recently upgraded from a Referenace 6950xt to a Red Devil 6950xt, and with this new upgrade, I keep crashing into gray screens and rebooting. I've tried many things, but I'm unsure why it keeps crashing like this. I don't think it's a PSU issue because the previous 6950xt ran just fine at 300w, but this new card crashes even though I've undervolted it. I even tried running it at stock and am still struggling to even get past a single loading screen. It was running fine the first day I got the card but now on the second day it's just not working. Some of the things I've tried are

Updated BIOS.
Used latest AMD GPU Drivers.
Turned off MPO/ULPS
Turned off Variable Refresh Rate in windows settings.
Removed any overclocks. Just kept stock auto OC and XMP ram settings in BIOS.
Turned on and off Resize-able bar and Above 4G decoding.

My system specs are as follows
GPU: Red devil 6950 xt
CPU: R7 5800 non x
CPU cooler: Corsair H150i LCD
MOBO: MSI B550 carbon gaming
RAM: 4x8 ddr4 3600Mhz C18 dominator platinums
PSU: Corsair RM850
Accessories that consume power: 9 Lianli infinity mirror fans and my o11 evo

0 Likes
10 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,
I believe you just did your own troubleshooting, could be a bad card.
Just swap back to your old one (if you can) and see if it crashes.

The Red Devil should be OK with that PSU.
Does the Red Devil has 3x8PIN? Use its own cable, don't daisy chain.

Try re-seating the card and power cords.
Try reinstalling drivers.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes

Hi, 

I do not currently have the old 6950 xt card, that's the reason why I wish to fix this issue as quickly as possible. I've reseated every PCIE cable and used individual cables for each GPU port so no daisy chaining is occuring. Currently doing DDU and reinstalling drivers in the hopes that it'll work out just fine. If you have any further tips to give feel free to drop them here, kinda stressed out trying to fix this lol. 

Thanks for the comment non the less 

0 Likes

Does the card have dual bios?

Try the other one. Doesn't hurt.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Tried the silent bios and the same thing still happens. I'm open for any solution. 

0 Likes

Can you still return the card?

Do you have a friend that would help you out trying the card?

The Englishman
0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

The reboot means power or temp, and I doubt it is temp. You tried wiring 3 different power cables from PSU.

Fyi, on the powercolor product page for it, "Minimum System Power requirement (W) 950W". Maybe they really mean it.

0 Likes

Not sure honestly, temps looked fine yesterday at around 55-65C. I'm starting to also think it's a PSU issue because anything else is out the window. realistically it should work just fine considering the previous 6950 xt was running just fine at 300w but this one just doesn't work properly. Going to try a 1000w PSU and see if there's any results. If someone has more solutions do let me know. 

0 Likes

If webpage says 950 then there's some logic to the crashes.

Could be a power spike and your RM850 simply can't handle it, if possible set power limit to -10%, limit the clocks and undervolt it.

I think MSI afterburner can go as low as -20% power limit, at least ASUS GPU Tweak did. This should limit the card severely to troubleshoot the PSU.

The Englishman
0 Likes
Anzkiiii
Journeyman III

So to add to this, I'm not entirely sure if it's a PSU fault but I've somewhat solved it. I redownloaded windows, got the latest drivers and undervolted the card while also lowering the power limit to 90%. Purely based off of this I would say it would've been a PSU issue but it wouldn't explain this.

As soon as I tuned my fans in adrenaline I instantly crashed ingame, happened when I turned off zero rpm mode. It would seem like there's an issue with amd drivers and fan tuning. Otherwise as we speak I'm running just fine at 260W and have relatively the same performance. Although I also think it has something to do with my RAM but for now I won't mess with it any further. 

0 Likes

Have you resolved it?

0 Likes