cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Jameoqweef
Journeyman III

GPU choices

So I'm looking to build a new computer and was thinking going full red. But all roads lead to the 6950xt. Why are people recommending that card over any of the new models. Should I just skip out on MSRP for all GPUs at this point and go full resale?

Also, in regards to receiving a free game, does the sale of the device also count towards game sales and if so can we opt out of that being a part of the purchase? There is no way I will be a part of boosting sales for games the like of Avatar.

0 Likes
3 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

The 6950XT is an incredibly powerful card that has a little more to give than the 3090ti, so its an easy pick, even today.

You can't go wrong with it, specially against a 7800XT.

Unless you consider going 7900XT(X)

The Englishman
0 Likes
alfata
Adept II

With the driver issues going on for the last half a year it is a bit hard to recommend team red GPU.
Its a crap-shoot if you will end up with unsolvable problems waiting for a year for the right driver or not.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

If you can find a 7900XT for a similar price to the 6950XT, I think you should go for it. Many have had issues, but I personally have had none beyond turning off MPO or hardware acceleration for this application or that one. 

Specifically for gaming, AMD and Nvidia both have solid options. 

About Avatar, it is a good game. I got pulled away by friends playing titles like The Finals, but the dozen or so hours I put into the game felt good. 

Back to the task at hand, you should look into anything from the AMD RX 6700 XT to the AMD RX 6950 XT or the more recent RX 7900 XT, if you can find it on sale. For team green, I would look into anything with equal or more power than an RTX 3080. 

Some games have issues with specific setups, so I would do some research based on the games I want to play. Both sides have their draw backs, as well as their advantages over the other, so if you are set on a specific game, look into the performance of that specific game with similar hardware to what you want to build. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes