cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Silent_DarkSoul
Journeyman III

Fps is very low when connected to wifi.

I have a 6700xt and its been working perfectly for around 8months until recently. Whenever I try and play a game connected to my WIFI the fps drops significantly (sub 10 fps). However, when I'm not connected to WIFI the fps shoots back up to how it was before. I've reinstalled drivers and still no change. I've looked at task manager and everything seems fine and my windows 11 is up to date. I've searched online and they're are basically no solutions that I've yet to come across.

0 Likes
6 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

Please list full system specs.

Is the Wifi built on the motherboard? Is it an add-in card? Or a USB dongle?

What drivers were reinstalled?

What game, and is it single player or multi player online?

Try running a game benchmark, do you see similar results?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

amd r5 5600x 6 core processor

6700xt 12gb gpu

16gb ram

motherboard: asus amd b550m-A-WIFI Micro Atx

i reinstalled the gpu drivers. tested multiple previous drivers and still nothing changed. Currently using the latest one (24.7.1)

I Also updated my wifi driver for my motherboard. wifi is built in 

this happens on all games but the games I've tested are EA FC24, Warfame, Chained Together, Spiderman, Batman Arkham City, Persona 5 Royal, AC Unity

I remember doing a performance test using the postmark software and everything was fine except for 3D graphics. It was showing extremely low fps. (2D graphics seemed fine)

0 Likes

passmark*

0 Likes

Passmark is more CPU/System oriented. Try one of the 3DMark graphics tests, Time Spy, Fire Strike, etc.

Download and run GPU-Z from TechPowerUp. Only thing I can think of is PCIe bandwidth/lanes are somehow impacted by motherboard wifi.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
redteam4life
Adept II

This is intriguing to me. To extend on FunkZ hunch, i think maybe some monitoring and stats/logs could help some.

You can use, GPU-Z to monitor your PCIE link speeds also. Click the "?" next to bus interface and click start render test. (see below picture)
gpuz_render test.jpg

You should see pcie link speeds down in bottom left hand corner of the window. I would try this while connecting and disconnecting your WiFi and see if it has any effect on speeds.

I would also be interested in using task manager and seeing performance /usage of CPU/Network when using wifi vs not.

Perhaps also, if possible maybe try Wired connection with wifi disabled to see if there is any changes.

I was wondering also, if you have both m.2 slots filled?

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

To Be clear.

If you are not connected it plays normally? But still with the driver enabled, just not connected to any SSID, right?

Some troubleshooting options that you might want to try that beats not doing anything.

Try an hotspot from your phone to discard a "problematic" SSID
Change preferred band to 2.4 only
Disable Dual Band

Some other troubleshooting steps:
Reset the network adapter
Delete the driver and then scan for new hardware
Have you installed the chipset driver package?
Try the vendor driver (intel or mediatek) instead of the board driver
Is the GPU set to 16x?

Is the built-in WIFI an installable card or you hook the antenna straight to the back panel?

What the ping or internet speed?

I know it can be a weird issue, but I've seen CPU throttling from a USB headset, so.....

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes