Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jocan
Journeyman III

DVI-D support

Greetings,

I found a simple dual DVI card XFX Radeon HD 4670 on sale and wondering if it is DVI-D like XFX  Radeon R7 360 I am currently using or just DVI-I?

Thanks you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes, irrespective of DVI-I vs DVI-D, if it supports 2560x1600 it is dual link. I'm sure you're aware but you will specifically need a dual link cable as well as there are extra pins involved.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

Did you mean to ask whether it is single link or dual link? ie. what is the max resolution supported? (single link supports up to 1920x1200 whereas dual link supports up to 2560x1600)

Because DVI-I vs DVI-D are similar in that both carry digital signal but DVI-I adds extra pins for analog signal.

In any case, most cards have dual link DVI-I connectors but check the pinout of the card you intend to buy.

https://superuser.com/questions/390178/dvi-d-vs-dvi-i-is-the-digital-video-quality-any-different

0 Likes
jocan
Journeyman III

Sorry, you are right, I meant to ask 'dual link'. I am told that card manual says 2560x1600. Does it mean that it has dual link DVI? Thank you.

0 Likes

Yes, irrespective of DVI-I vs DVI-D, if it supports 2560x1600 it is dual link. I'm sure you're aware but you will specifically need a dual link cable as well as there are extra pins involved.

0 Likes

Are you planning on purchasing such an antique GPU card HD 4670 due to budget restraints? 

The HD 4000 series is not supported by AMD drivers any more and the only compatible AMD driver to install is the one you get from Windows 10/11 Windows Update unless you are using Windows 8/8.1 or older versions: https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/graphics/radeon-hd/radeon-hd-4000-series/ati-r...

Personally it isn't worth spending money on a GPU card that is practically incompatible with Windows 10/11 and its technology is so old that you won't be able to play many if any of the latest games.

I would look into purchasing a RX 400/500 GPU card that still have limited AMD driver support depending on your budget limits.

0 Likes

Budget and speed are not a concern.

1. The card is not for Windows
  2. The card is not for games
  3. The computer has no external PSU plug - otherwise it would not be limited to ancient cards.

are there better choices given above criteria?

0 Likes

Maybe then you should post exactly what type of PC or computer you have and its hardware and software and what you are going to be using the HD 40000 series GPU card for.

Otherwise you original post is vague without not much information to go on except getting information on DVI port and nothing else.

If the card is not for Windows then what is it for?

It helps others to give a more appropriate answer if they understand what the User exact needs are and why plus post all the computer information as per AMD Forum's rules.

Anyway, if all you need to have answered without any background information just concerns the DVI port then others will be better qualified to answer your questions.

Take care.

0 Likes

Usage - Linux office desktop. Two 2560x1440 single mode monitors. Mostly word processing. PC - contemporary dell/lenovo tower. I acquired dual DP card

Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]

for one setup since I already had a pair of KDP70 DP->dual DVI-D adapters but would like to avoid adapters for the second setup.

0 Likes

Based on images of the XFX Radeon HD 4670 it has two dual link DVI-I connectors. For a consumer grade card (not Quadro or W-series Pro) this is an uncommon feature as most have one of each VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP and/or S-video, but not typically two of the same type. Seems like the perfect card to meet your needs of dual DVI without using adapters. Of course, given its age you may need to address fan or heatsink replacement.

FunkZ_4-1720828906437.png

0 Likes

Indeed, it does sufficiently good job driving two 2560x1440 DVI monitors.

0 Likes