cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

papabear7979
Adept I

display ports will not work

I have just installed my second Radeon RX 5500 XT graphics card and the same issue has shown up.  The display ports will not work.  HDMI works fine, but display ports will not.

My system is as follows:

Motherboard Name Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

CPU Type HexaCore AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, 4642 MHz (46.5 x 100)

Video Adapter AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT

32 GB of RAM

Windows 10 64-bit

What is the deal?  I am really hoping NOT to have to purchase a non-AMD graphics card.  And I will NOT purchase a new processor.  I have been running older AMD video cards (6450 and 7450, and they work fine with multiple monitors.  I even went out and purchased a DP to HDMI cable so there would not be any unusual adapters.

0 Likes
11 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

What resolution are you running? Passive DP to HDMI (such as via a cable) only works up to HD (1080p) resolution. If you want higher resolution you need an active adapter.

https://www.barco.com/en/inspiration/news-insights/displayport-to-hdmi-conversion-should-i-use-an-ac....

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

That does not make any  sense, since I have an older, and I mean older video card that does support multiple monitors through the HDMI and display ports (not a DVI port).  Even with the 1920 x 1080 resolution.

0 Likes

Have you tried display port only?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

yep tried using just the display ports only, no video, no connection showing on the monitor.  Tried various display port cables as well.  Some with adapters, some with just the display port on one end and the HDMI on the other.  I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX-1080 Ti on another machine and it  works just fine with the multiple monitors, through the same cables I was trying to use on the AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT card.

Do you have a display that is display port as well? Have you tried display port to display port on a display?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

No, none of my monitors have a display port.

first monitor has (2) HDMI ports and a VGA.

Second and third are both the same:  (1) HDMI, (1) DVI, and (1) VGA.

Last monitor has (1) HDMI, and (1) VGA.

0 Likes

If I were having these issues, I would bring my rig to a friends house or see if I can borrow a display port display to troubleshoot, and see if display port to display port works. IDK why it would if the other displays aren't working, but it would be worth the five minutes it takes to try it.

0 Likes

As mentioned above, using the same monitors and the same cables, but with a different video care that has HDMI and display ports configuration, and they work, two working monitors.  And if there was an issue with the new video card altogether then the HDMI would not work, but it does.  It is still pointing back to the display ports on the new video card, not working, none of the three of them.

0 Likes

There are multiple revisions of DisplayPort and HDMI specification. Your adapter cables may work correctly on an older version but not on a newer card.

Connect the 5500XT to a monitor that supports native DP and see if it works.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I completely overlooked this as a possibility. Good catch.

0 Likes
Billy880
Journeyman III

I am using old one, so there should be converter that bridge the HDMI to old ports.

0 Likes