cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Fww
Adept I

7900xt and vrchat video player

I know there a performace problems for vr which supposed to be fixed, does anyone else has problems with vrchat's video player in vr mode?
Currently in vr mode it stutters to the point of unwatchable while in desktop mode it works fine. I did manage to load it once and it worked fine from start to finish but so far I didn't manage to do it again.

11 Replies
Beanstomp
Journeyman III

Same issue here. I haven't tested it in desktop mode but in VR the video will work for a few seconds, then start rubber banding and freaking out for a bit until the scene changes, and then repeats the issue. I've tried a handful of things but I can't find a workaround for this.

0 Likes
Nanotankz
Journeyman III

Ive been having this same problem too for a while now and ive tried to figure it out myself and still nothing when in vr it stutters and rubber bands threw out the video. So if you are able to figure it out please let me know.

0 Likes
shaoaz
Adept II

Happens on the 6950XT as well and nothing but using old outdated drivers can solve it. 22.5.1 precisely which are the only drivers for it as far as going back goes. Extremely upsetting that this issue keeps on going without notice.

0 Likes
Aeyesi
Adept I

7900XTX with latest drivers and yep it stutters, in ChilloutVR it can even crash if played from other than YT resource.

0 Likes
andr2535
Adept I

I have this problem too.

The problem doesn't appear on all video players though, it seems to always work with Unity players but not with AVPro players. I uploaded a short video showcasing the difference, with a player that supports both:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjPZR0iwWZA

0 Likes
Tenshii
Journeyman III

Hardware:

CPU: R9 5950X

GPU: RX 7900 XTX (Sapphire Nitro+)

RAM: 32GB

VR Hardware: Quest 2 w/Link cable

Can confirm this issues is STILL present in Adrenaline 23.3.2

Also - interestingly the problem only manifests if using SteamVR version of VRC. If I use the PCVR Oculus Rift version, everything plays fine. 

However - I use Full Body Tracking and rely on OVR for playspace dragging to adjust my avatar placement and to use quick keybinds for resetting my trackers when they fall out of calibration (which the Rift version does not allow for) so this is a pretty big bug for me and means I have to choose between watching movies or having FBT. 

Also it is only in SteamVR VR mode - if I do Desktop mode then the problem does not present itself, but why would I use desktop mode when I have the setup I have. 

Please can this be fixed AMD! I am sure you are doing your best but this is really limiting my ability to hang out with my friends.

I have seen so few threads or posts about this issue but I have submitted several bug reports. 

Just wanted to share this for anyone it might help with VRChat specifically. There is a new open beta with a custom start up flag:

Tenshii_0-1680775243385.png

This has fixed my issues it seems specifically with video stuttering - Have been testing in LSMedia and so far so good!

the flag to paste in to your general settings for VRChat in steam is:

--disable-hw-video-decoding

FPS in general on the 7900 XTX within VRC (even in a home world with just me) is still quite painfully low for a £1300 graphics card though. Hopefully that 'low VR performance' known issue gets fixed soon!

Thank you for pointing this out!

This seems to eliminate my issue as well, in the short 3 minute test I did today. I would still want the video decoding issues to be fixed. But this fixes the primary issue for me.

Unmoon
Journeyman III

Wow, this is a scary issue! I ended up having my headset display show no signs of life until I had restarted SteamVR twice & unplugged it...

As mentioned above, there is the following launch flag (now out of beta) you can give to VRChat, but I had trouble with the players lagging quite heavily with CPU decoding. Hopefully this is fixed soon!

--disable-hw-video-decoding

0 Likes
Fww
Adept I

Did anyone else notice videos getting way darker when you dissable hardware decoding?

CynthiaWhite
Journeyman III

I've heard about some performance issues with the 7900XT in VR, but I'm not sure if they've been completely resolved. As for VRChat's video player in VR mode, I've experienced similar problems. It tends to stutter and become unwatchable, whereas in desktop mode, it runs smoothly. There was one instance where it worked flawlessly, but I haven't been able to replicate that success.

On a related note, if you're into creative content, I'd strongly recommend checking out "Alight Motion" It's a fantastic tool for video editing and motion graphics, and it could add a whole new dimension to your VR experiences. Give it a try!

0 Likes