cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Swiftwella
Adept II

7800XT - System crashing first time I load a game each day

Hi everyone. I'm one of the victims of 7800XT deciding to crash my system.

I have a Ryzen 5700X in an ROG B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi II with G.SKILL TridentZ NEO 2x16GB 3600MHZ CL16.

Everything was fine while I was still using my old RX 580 Nitro+ but since changing it to a 7800XT Nitro+ I've started having WHEA-Logger (Event ID 18) errors.

Example:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 9

The details view of this entry contains further information.

The processor APIC ID keeps changing, so it's not related to any one core exactly. The funny thing is, it only happens once per day, with the first game that I open. After the first crash, it runs stable until the next day (might be a coincidence, but that's the behaviour I'm observing the last 5/6 days).

I've tried a myriad of things:
1) First I thought it was because of two monitors (DP+HDMI), but it happens with just one monitor (DP). Two monitors (DP+DP) is still crashing.
2) Disabled MPO.
3) High Performance power plan still crashes.
4) DDU + Just drivers (No Adrenalin). Still crashes on the first game loaded before 5 minutes have passed. Fine afterwards.
5) Undervolting, Overvolting, Overclocking, Underclocking, all combinations under the sun. Still the same type of crashes.

It's always the same WHEA-Logger error in a random core, instant reboot and then it's fine. This CPU was totally okay and stable with the other GPU. Nothing was changed.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Swiftwella
Adept II

Hello everyone,

After many cold boots and playing the most varied games, I haven't had any crashes with the new drivers.

It seems 23.12.1 fixed my WHEA errors.

SAM and FreeSync is turned on.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
crspears
Adept II

I believe the issue is related to SAM (resize bar / 4g decoding) and freesync. disable SAM or freesync and see if it still happens

I have been dealing with this for 2 years on my xfx 6900xt. the entire time everyone has gaslit me about the issue even existing

Interesting, I haven't tried that. I will try and report back.

0 Likes

I've disabled 4G Decoding in BIOS and still crashed. I will now disable FreeSync (in addition to keeping 4G Decoding disabled) and report back.

0 Likes

try disabling SAM in radeon but keep 4g/resize bar enabled

Swiftwella
Adept II

Preliminary results:

Installing the new driver 23.12.1 with Full Install after DDU with slight underclock (2475 MHz Max Frequency) and +5% Power Limit seems to be stable.

SAM is activated. FreeSync is deactivated.

I will keep trying to turn things one at a time and see how stable it is.

0 Likes
Swiftwella
Adept II

Hello everyone,

After many cold boots and playing the most varied games, I haven't had any crashes with the new drivers.

It seems 23.12.1 fixed my WHEA errors.

SAM and FreeSync is turned on.

I am gonna be completely honest. 

I was very skeptical on believing that the 23.12.1 drivers fixed my crashes, but they actually did. 

I have been playing for 4+ days now with no crash at all, however, i was actively monitoring the Windows Event logger for WHEA ID 18 and only after 4 whole days, I have a report today, but i had no crashes.

I bumped the power limit to +15%, lets see what happens, so far so good, was about time. 

Good to hear!

I have since upped my Max Frequency to 2500mhz (still with +5% Power Limit) and it's still stable!

0 Likes

I think you might need some help.

0 Likes