Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

DemonYakade
Journeyman III

VSync not working

Hi Everyone,

I'm using RX 5500XT 8GB model from MSI and my current AMD driver version is 21.6.1 released on 2021-06-17. If I enable "wait for vertical refresh" in AMD Radeon Software, it does nothing. When I gaming screen tearing persists. I have 1080P 60Hz monitor. I don't know what to do. I enable OpenGL triple buffering also. But it didn't work. Enabling VSync in game works. But I need to force the applications to use AMD Radeon Software. I uninstalled AMD drivers and install again, clean install windows also. But problem still there. I upgraded my old NVidia GTX 960 2GB from AMD RX 5500XT 8GB, but I think am I took a wrong decision? When I'm using Nvidia control panel and force the applications to use NVidia settings enabling VSync, all the games working without any screen tearing. I don't care about input lag and other stuff, because I'm not a competitive multiplayer gamer. I mostly do single player gaming. I got some info on internet that force AMD VSync from AMD Radeon Software not support DX11 games. Is that true? Please help me with my question, if anyone here who know is there any way to force VSync using AMD Control panel for both DX11 and OpenGL games? Thank you very much.

My PC Specs in short.

Processor :- Core i7 3770

Motherboard :- GA-H61M-DS2 (rev 4.0)

RAM :- 16GB

SSD :- 240GB SSD

HDD :- 2TB HDD @ 5400RPM

GPU :- MSI RX 5500XT 8GB

OS build :- 19043.1081

Windows Experience Pack :-  Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

6 Replies
Psyhix69
Adept III

I have noticed that also. That selecting "Always On" globally or in game profile does nothing.

For the vsync to actually work I have to enable it in-game!

There is no information in the pop-up info (when You hover Your mouse over the "?" icon) about this!

So basically this function is broken.

0 Likes
zakzak
Journeyman III

Pretty sure the function is broken my friend. Like Psyhix69, I had the same issue where enabling "Always On" did absolutely nothing, and I had to enable vsync in the game settings.

0 Likes

vsync.PNG

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

The only Sync option I found in Adrenaline that actually prevents screen tearing is Radeon enhanced Sync. 

It bypasses the default sync option and have had no luck with Free Sync.

I only experienced a 15 to 20 FPS drop with Free Sync and still got tearing.

I also only play single player games even on MMO's if they have a single player option that what I prefer. I game to relax unwind and just be creative.

My GPU is Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT.

Hope this info helps good luck.

0 Likes

The current version of windows 10 Pro 64 is 21H2.

If you're still on 21H1 then you really need to update. That could be your problem as this means you are missing critical .Net Framework updates that have a major impact on internet and audio/visual hardware and software.

0 Likes

@goodrx Can You update Your answer with the source of the information: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-012#faq-Wait-for-Vertical-Refresh- ?

Looks like if we want to have vsync enabled in-game we either need to use "Enhanced Sync" (in AMD Adrenaline panel) or in-game vsync option.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-enhancedsync

What API’s does Enhanced Sync support?

With Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition, Enhanced Sync now supports works games using DirectX® 9, DirectX® 10, DirectX® 11, DirectX® 12* and Vulkan®. Enhanced Sync does not support OpenGL®.

0 Likes