cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

zinx
Adept II

Vulkan tearing issues - Vsync is not working correctly

I also posted this in another forum but no one answered.

I have a problem using Vsync with games/softwares that use the Vulkan API.

Software like Dolphin,PPSSPP and RetroArch get constant tearing issues that I dont get with other API's like Directx 11 or 12.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series.

It's using the AMD GPU Radeon 530 and the Intel GPU Intel UHD 620.

The OS is Windows 10 and the CPU is Intel i7-8550U.

The developers of Dolphin believe it's a driver problem and not a software one.

Here is the bug on their issue tracker : https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/11674.

I tried to force vsync from AMD settings and it didnt work as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Likes
5 Replies

Wait for Vertical Refresh

Vertical Refresh or VSync, synchronizes the application with the monitor frame rate with the objective of removing screen tearing.

Note! Wait for Vertical Refresh only works OpenGL 3D applications. When using other APIs such as DirectX® or Vulkan®, VSync is controlled via the 3D application graphics settings.

How to Configure AMD Radeon™ Settings to Get an Optimal Gaming Experience | AMD 

Try enabling 'Enhanced Sync' in  the Wattman game profile (not global)...then turn vert sync off in the game settings.

This even more reaffirms that the problem is the driver. 

I can't force Vulkan to have vsync from AMD settings. 

0 Likes

Is English your native language? Let me read it again:

Wait for Vertical Refresh

Vertical Refresh or VSync, synchronizes the application with the monitor frame rate with the objective of removing screen tearing.

Note! Wait for Vertical Refresh only works in OpenGL 3D applications. When using other APIs such as DirectX® or Vulkan®, VSync is controlled via the 3D application graphics settings.

In other words:

AMD graphics and settings support the following API's with these distinctions:

Wattman setting 'wait for Vert Sync" does not affect a PC game that runs on Vulcan. It only affects OGL games.

If you want vert sync, you select it in the game options for any Vulcan or DX9, DX10, DX11, DX12 game. Applying vert sync for these type of games in Wattman has no effect. Never has. 

You would do well to try Enhanced Sync in Wattman and disable vert sync in the game...as I posted.

0 Likes

"Software like Dolphin,PPSSPP and RetroArch get constant tearing issues that I dont get with other API's"

The problem is that all these emulators are all based on piracy (using hacked PS4/Xbox/etc games on a PC) and this is not something AMD supports....

0 Likes