cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

kaioken
Journeyman III

THOUGHTS ON AMD RELEASES

Some clear reports about the releases from AMD....
    1. 3700x amd 3900x both destroy intel 9th gen cpus even at 7z zip compression test and adobe premierer pro rendering which was intels lead all this time
    2. 3700x is within 5-8% of all games tested of the 9900k....so within 5% is just margin of error...so still claiming intel is the KING of gaming does not value that much...
    3. 3600 geekbench single core is 5.6k and multi core is 28K-30K...with 4.3 all core boost. which is on per weith 8700k at 4.9-5.0 Ghz... they are having problem with single core boost of 4.4-4.6 ghz
  • some reports that single core boost is still not there as amd confirmed fully functional bios version will be released some times later.....
  • AMD navi release seems to got more attention than their cpu release.... beating rtx 2060,2070 and on par with 2070 and 2060 super respectively...even beating it in some games...
  • Some youtube reviewers praised for this performance from navi cards ..and new choice for the 1080ti performance for $400 dollars..
  • Claiming rtx features against the navi cards are useles...cause rtx is at the moment is useless themselves for the rtx cards....only ti is somewhat deserved to buy for rtx gameplay
  • navi cards are not paper launch and are available at micro center if you buy amd cpu ..you get EVEN $50 DOLLAR discount off of those cards.
  • i say both CPU AND GPU release is a success for AMD
  • SOME reviewers on youtube are falsely claiming that the navi cards are bad value....they are nothing but paid shills...dont fall for it..because super cards aren't worth the price...at the moment

0 Likes
4 Replies
qwixt
Forerunner

It's the same story as it has been. AMD has good value due to the cost of multiple cores. Intel is for those that want better single core performance, and willing to pay extra for it. Saying they destroy their intel counterparts is a bit much, then you go on to call those disagreeing with your view of the Navi release as "shills". I don't think you are viewing this critically enough.

Navi drivers and cooling are a joke. From the release notes:

Known Issues

• With Radeon Image Sharpening enabled, Radeon Overlay may flicker in DirectX®9 or Vulkan® applications or games.
  • Radeon ReLive streaming and uploading of videos and other content to Facebook™ is currently unavailable.
  • Audio for clips captured by Radeon ReLive may be corrupted or garbled when desktop recording is enabled.
  • Textures in Star Wars® Battlefront II may appear pixelated or blurry when using DirectX®11 API.
  • ASUS TUF Gaming FX505 may experience discrete GPU connection issues with devices disappearing from device manager when the system is idle.
  • Minor stuttering may occur when playing Fortnite™ during the first few minutes of gameplay on AMD Radeon RX 5700 Series Graphics.
  • Valve Index headset may experience flicker when launching SteamVR on AMD Radeon RX 5700 Series Graphics.
  • Radeon RX 5700 Series Graphics may experience a black screen during uninstall on Windows®7 system configurations. A work around is to perform uninstall in safe mode.
  • Recording clips with Radeon ReLive may result in blank clips on Radeon RX 5700 Series Graphics with Windows®7 system configurations.
  • League of Legends™ may fail to launch on Radeon RX 5700 Series Graphics with Windows®7 system configurations.
  • Radeon Settings may not appear in the right click desktop context menu on Windows®7 system configurations.

And these are only the known issues.

As far as Synthetic benchmarks go, they are a waste as far as I am concerned, when real application/game benchmarks exist and tell you exactly how much of a difference new hardware makes.

0 Likes

Intel does seem to be a hard sell at this point.  The single core performance is so close now that AMD and Intel will perform identically in 99% of gaming scenarios, not to mention losing performance in productivity applications.

But yes, that was the tag line for the 1800X as well.  Good enough for gaming, better than Intel in everything else. 

0 Likes

Yes,the difference is narrowed even more now. Intel has slightly better SC performance. After switching back to amd for GPU, and dealing with their drivers, I wouldn't touch an amd product. I would pay the premium for intel just to stay away from amd drivers, but that's just me. The value is clearly in favor of amd.

That 1800X still shows up quite favorably in the benchmarks. I haven't watched motherboard prices, but it seems like the new boards are quite expensive. When looking last night, there seems to be a large portion of boards over $300, and several at $700.

0 Likes

I'm not sure what the point of the X570 series is really.  Sure, it has PCIe 4.0, but beyond that, what is the benefit?  The chipset draws vastly more power that the previous iterations, but it doesn't seem like all that extra juice creates any additional headroom.  The 3000 series CPUs seem to perform identically in X470 boards, with lower power consumption.

Maybe all that power handling will be needed for the 16 core CPU, but so far, I don't see much reason to shell out the money.

0 Likes