Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Davidb77
Adept I

SP5 Socket issue

Hello, 

hoping this is the right place to post. I’ve recently purchased a AMD EPYC 9374f to go into a Gigabyte MZ33-AR0. While inspecting the socket for the cpu I noticed what looked like a dark spot. It looks like a pin is out of place. My question is, do I ask for a return or is this not going to be an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0252.jpeg

11 Replies

I suggest you open a AMD SUPPORT - WARRANTY Ticket and asked them after uploading your images from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

I would get a magnifying glass and physically check the pin or pins in that dark spot. Could just be some left over dirt from the manufacturing process. 

Anyways, AMD SUPPORT - Warranty can probably tell you if you need to RMA your processor or not or give you instructions on how to test the processor out.

NOTE: Using a Magnifying app on your photo it shows the dark pin to be perfectly normal in shape and size except it seems to be dirty or possibly could be a burn mark like from a short:

Screenshot 2024-04-19 225220.png

Get some 90% or higher Isopropyl Alcohol and gently clean it with a soft brush and see if the dark spot goes away.

Great info! I appreciate it. 

eebiii
Forerunner

Even if it comes clean, I would be hesitant to use it. What if it shorts again with your new parts in it? I would return for another board. That is way to suspect for me. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I think that’s what I’m going to have to do. MB came from Newegg so I think it shouldn’t be an issue to a RMA. 

eebiii
Forerunner

@elstaci knows more than I ever could but these kinds of posts make me pay extra attention to new boards and sockets. I have been lazy as of late and just start throwing it all together. I do a lot of water-cooled builds and it sucks when everything's together and the board is bad. So, if I see any damage from here on out, it's immediate RMA for me. I walked into Microcenter the other day and they had over 20 boards that were open box, missing parts etc. They say they test them. I say BS. Half are prob shorted out.

Davidb77
Adept I

IMG_0258.jpeg

 took another pic, when you zoom into this one it’s a bit more clear 

Yes it is clearer.

I would definitely open a AMD SUPPORT - WARRANTY Ticket to see if it something that needs to be RMA.

But if the short to the pin on the processor was due to a defective Motherboard your AMD Warranty would most likely be voided unless it can be proven that the CPU itself shorted out the MB.

either way good luck.

I haven’t even powered the board up yet. I noticed this while getting it ready to be built 

This pic is of the board the cpu is fine. All new parts with no power having been put through them yet. 

Sorry that looked like a CPU pins.

Not familiar with Sockets with CPU type pins on it.

In that case I would open a Warranty ticket for your Motherboard and have it replaced. That looks like it is darkened due to a short. If you clean the pin and it is still dark then that would verify a shorted pin.

Also I wouldn't install a processor on it since if it is due to a short it might damage your processor voiding its AMD warranty.

eebiii
Forerunner

It looks burnt. I am trying to find a pic of another board to match up. But am having a hard time finding one without a cap on it.