cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Richeduserus
Journeyman III

Severe FPS Drops and Stuttering in Games Despite High-End Components

I'm having severe FPS drops (lags) and stuttering in my games, making it unbearable to play. Despite having high-end components, my gaming experience is far from smooth, and I'm at a loss for what to do next. Here's a detailed breakdown of the issue:

System Specifications:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 4100
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING

The Issue:

1. FPS Drops:

• My games can reach very high FPS (maybe up to +300), but they frequently drop to extremely low levels (as low as 4 FPS for example). This fluctuation is drastic and happens unpredictably, making it impossible to enjoy a game.
    • For example, in Fortnite, I can have a maximum FPS of 144, but it can suddenly drop to single digits.
  2. Stuttering and Delays:

• The game stutters and freezes, especially noticeable when there are rapid actions, such as shooting. The screen and audio both freeze for about 1-2.4 seconds, which is incredibly driving me mad.

What I've Tried:

• Reinstalling Drivers: I have reinstalled the latest drivers for my GPU, but the problem persists.
  • DirectX 12: I’m using DirectX 12 in Fortnite. (According to Adrenaline, Fortnite is a marginal performance class for me, i.e. so poorly).
  • Settings Adjustments: I've adjusted various in-game settings and tried the lowest configurations, but doesn't resolve the issue.
  • Temperature Checks: All components are running within normal temperature ranges.

Additional Details:

• The issue occurs regardless of the game's graphics settings or resolution.
  • I have no background applications consuming significant resources during gameplay.
  • All components are relatively new and should be capable of handling the games I play.

Possible Causes?

• I'm uncertain whether this is a hardware issue, a driver problem, or something else entirely. Could it be related to the power supply or a specific setting I'm overlooking?

Seeking Help:

• Has anyone else experienced similar issues with sudden FPS drops and stuttering despite having good hardware?
  • Are there any specific troubleshooting steps or diagnostics I should run to identify the cause of this problem?
0 Likes
0 Replies