Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ricecragger
Adept I

RX570 No Input after updating drivers

Hi all, 

Noticed I was having random black screens while playing games so I went to update my driver for my RX570. Downloaded and installed and then it prompted a system restart. The restart took way longer than usual and after waiting more than 10 mins I manually restarted it (held down power button). After that I just got a black screen and a No Input message from my monitor. 

Guessing maybe I messed up the driver by manually restarting? I tested different HDMI cables and it shouldn't be my monitor as I can connect my laptop with no problem. 

I saw another post on here with similar issues and they used a back up GPU to access their machine and fix it. I unfortunately do not have another GPU as this is my first build. I can't get to the bios because no input ever appears. Not sure how to fix this. Any other way to boot in safe mode?

My build: Ryzen 5 2600, Gigabyte RX570, AsRock B450 Pro Am4 MoBo, 2x16GB T-Force VulcanZ 3000mhz RAM, Deepcool DA500 Bronze + PSU, T-Force VulcanZ 250GB SSD, WD BLUE 1TB HDD, Monitor: ACER KA242Y 24"

Had this build for ~8 months now. No problems until now. 

Thanks for your help. 

14 Replies
ricecragger
Adept I

bump

Make sure the card is seated fully in the slot. Disconnect your HDD/SSD to protect your OS while you troubleshoot. We need to get a BIOS screen at a minimum. If it does, with the drive(s) disconnected, make sure "fast boot" is disabled.

Power down, reconnect the boot drive and when you get to the sign in screen, use the "restart" option while holding "shift". This should bring up a blue screen with a few options. Choose "start up options", it will reboot to a blue screen with many options. Choose "safe mode with networking". Make sure you're internet is plugged in because you need to download DDU graphics uninstaller, unless you have it. Run that while in "safe mode", reboot at the prompt. 

(If you can't get the blue screen for safe mode for any reason, hold the power button down for 2 reboots. Repeat that 2 more times ( I know it's tedious). Turn the PC on for a final time and it should be on the "Automatic Repair" screen. After the diagnostic runs, choose "troubleshoot", "start up options" and do as above.)

Install the previous driver that worked or download 20.8.3 from: Radeon™ RX 570 Previous Drivers | AMD , that's a stable driver or pick the one you had, not the 20.11.1. Once installed, go into "performance", "tuning", enable "manual" overclocking and slide your power limit to max. Set a fan curve where at 70c it's at 100%. That should fix it.

Should none of the above work. Like you disconnect the HDD/SSD and not even a screen, but fans/lights are on. Reset the CMOS. On your board it's either a button or it may have a jumper, follow the manual. If still no screen, you will need to try removing one RAM stick at a time to see if you can get a screen. Try swapping them to the other slot one at a time. Of course turning the PC off while doing that and leaving the HDD/SSD disconnected during all this kind of troubleshooting. If you get a screen, pay attention to what slot/stick worked. Verify that the other stick is bad by swapping it out to see if you get a screen.

This test would've confirmed a bad RAM stick or slot. If it didn't do a thing, then you'll need to try a different card or power supply. The latter is more likely than a bad card given the symptom. Beyond this, it could be the motherboard. Hopefully you stopped at the blue screen for selecting "start up options", which means you'll be ok using the driver tutorial above.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Make sure the card is seated fully in the slot. Disconnect your HDD/SSD to protect your OS while you troubleshoot. We need to get a BIOS screen at a minimum. If it does, with the drive(s) disconnected, make sure "fast boot" is disabled.

Power down, reconnect the boot drive and when you get to the sign in screen, use the "restart" option while holding "shift". This should bring up a blue screen with a few options. Choose "start up options", it will reboot to a blue screen with many options. Choose "safe mode with networking". Make sure you're internet is plugged in because you need to download DDU graphics uninstaller, unless you have it. Run that while in "safe mode", reboot at the prompt. 

(If you can't get the blue screen for safe mode for any reason, hold the power button down for 2 reboots. Repeat that 2 more times ( I know it's tedious). Turn the PC on for a final time and it should be on the "Automatic Repair" screen. After the diagnostic runs, choose "troubleshoot", "start up options" and do as above.)

Install the previous driver that worked or download 20.8.3 from: Radeon™ RX 570 Previous Drivers | AMD , that's a stable driver or pick the one you had, not the 20.11.1. Once installed, go into "performance", "tuning", enable "manual" overclocking and slide your power limit to max. Set a fan curve where at 70c it's at 100%. That should fix it.

Should none of the above work. Like you disconnect the HDD/SSD and not even a screen, but fans/lights are on. Reset the CMOS. On your board it's either a button or it may have a jumper, follow the manual. If still no screen, you will need to try removing one RAM stick at a time to see if you can get a screen. Try swapping them to the other slot one at a time. Of course turning the PC off while doing that and leaving the HDD/SSD disconnected during all this kind of troubleshooting. If you get a screen, pay attention to what slot/stick worked. Verify that the other stick is bad by swapping it out to see if you get a screen.

This test would've confirmed a bad RAM stick or slot. If it didn't do a thing, then you'll need to try a different card or power supply. The latter is more likely than a bad card given the symptom. Beyond this, it could be the motherboard. Hopefully you stopped at the blue screen for selecting "start up options", which means you'll be ok using the driver tutorial above.

Thanks! I'll try this out and get back. To be fair, I didn't touch any internals. I went from a game of Valorant to downloading the drivers and then no more boot. 

0 Likes

Then you should be fine at the point of getting Windows out of "fast boot" and doing the "safe mode" driver thing. The rest is for the "end of the world" scenario.

0 Likes

Nothing seems to get me to the BIOS. My fans and LEDs are running but not image or input appears on screen. Monitor just says No cable connected. Not sure what's going on :(

0 Likes

Looks like no luck. Can't get to any type of input to get a bios screen. I'm guessing it's my GPU then? This is my first build so I have no spares lying around. Is there anyway to get this working without an extra GPU?

0 Likes

First try resetting the CMOS. Unplug the PC, press the power button for 5secs. Then short the 2 pins at the bottom where it says "CMOS_CLR" or something like that for 5 secs. Plug it in and see if you have a screen. 

0 Likes

Didn't happen to work either. ):

0 Likes

If it were any brand but AsRock I wouldn't say this but the board may have went south. Try to find any PCIe GPU, see if video comes back. Might be easier to borrow a PSU from another PC just to see. Those are the only options left besides making sure the card is seated and the cord is in all the way.

0 Likes

It is either the motherboard or the GPU. If the lights or beeps on the motherboard are normal for post then likely the GPU. 

Your best bet and easiest thing to try is test that GPU in another machine. You only need to see if you get video on a post. 

If you don't have family member, friend or work place that can help you with this, then go to Computer Store. Many may check the card for free or a nominal charge. 

Also you could someone else if they have an old card you can borrow to test with. Anything PCIe  will do. 

0 Likes

And why exactly can it not be a faulty PSU? There is a PCIe 12v rail no? There is a 4-8 pin power rail, no? Or you just want to challenge every response I give today? Remember, you're "IT", not specifically hardware/software. There's a flow chart to diagnose things and a PSU is one not to leave out. OP can probably borrow one just to check it off the list easier than a GPU or swapping into someone else's rig for that matter. Of course I forgot to mention that OP could try the card in another PC provided that it has a PCIe 16X 2.0 slot or better in it, with a 500W or better PSU. 

0 Likes

No I have no issue with what you said and am only trying to help the OP. Not in the other post either. Did not infer that any advice you gave is bad. I was just suggesting if available, a quick way to test. 

Seems you are the one having issue with what others are saying today. 

I will tell you that the conflict you are trying to start here is against forum rules. @Matt_AMD 

Again the OP can follow whatever advice they choose. Many people will offer advice, not just you and they are welcome to do that. What you are not allowed to do is bait people into flame wars. Doing so does nothing to help the OP and that is what I am trying to do, I would think it is what you are trying to do too?

Yes the PSU is good to check. I didn't mention it because you already correctly suggested to check it. 

I said what I said because it had not been said, and certainly not because you missed saying it. 

0 Likes

@amd matt please review all of @pokester 's comments if judging rule violations. From the beginning of my joining this forum he's given an attitude of disrespect, even acknowledged being "condescending" at times in a message to me. Please know I'm not here to argue, get into some contest for "kudos", become recognized as a "guru" or anything else. When I'm trying to help someone and someone else is constantly rebuking my advice, that comes from 20+ years of selling/building PC's, confusing the OP, this can be frustrating. 

Like reprimanding me for recommending a slight  RAM OC on a board being upgraded to a newer architecture the CPU is not designed to run on and trying to imply to the OP that I'm giving poor advice is not cool. A private message or say nothing is better. The only reason I'm bringing this up in this post is because he wanted to "tattletale" to you about me breaking rules. When I think his complaint to you doesn't belong in this post and nor does mine. This "conflict" is across about 3 posts where he initiates it.

0 Likes

by al means I welcome @Matt_AMD  and @Ray_AMD  to do just that. Retaliation in comments is also against forum rules. If I am guilty I should be moderated.

Thank you for pointing that out. Of course you have not mentioned this before 2 posts yesterday and we have politely conversed many times even in private messages but now for whatever reason saw me giving some alternative advice in which I no way said your advice is bad anyway that you are taking exception too. 

The terms of service say

"You are free to disagree with others, but if you stoop to personal abuse or attacks, your post(s) will be deleted. If you are insulted, please report the post but DO NOT retaliate. Trolling and/or attempting to bait others into a flame war will not be tolerated. Any post deemed to do so will be deleted"

I am not the one breaking forum rules and I welcome AMD to do as they rightfully see fit if I am. 

This stuff in an OPs thread does not help the OP and I will say nothing more on this matter here. If you have issue with another helping an OP in addition to your advice, I suggest you private message a moderator. 

0 Likes