cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

azoz
Adept I

Random Stutter Issue

I'm having a stuttering issue while playing video games.

I have a PC build which is:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4XbVVW

• ZOTAC GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card.

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor.

• MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard.

• Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory.

• Lexar NM790 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive.

I've tried turning on EXPO mode to increase the RAM speed but it doesn't matter either way. I keep getting stutters while playing on 1440p 240Hz monitor (Odyssey G7) and I have already turned off v-sync from both Nvidia and video games. I've tried the following:

• Limiting the fps to 240/238.

• Playing on low graphics.

• Playing on lower resolution 1080p.

• Turning off variable refresh rate.

• Optimizing Nvidia Control Panel settings.

• Updated motherboard bios to the latest version.

• Updated all drivers to the latest versions.

• Disabled the AMD graphics card.

• Disabled unused audio devices.

• Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic but nothing appeared to be wrong.
  • Tried an HDMI cable instead of DisplayPort but same result.

But none could help me solve the stuttering issue. I play a lot of fps games such as R6S, Valorant, Overwatch. And tried playing Elden ring and remnant II but I don't get a stable performance on any of them. I haven't noticed the stutters while playing on Valorant but the rest of the games aren't working as I expected.

I saw one suggestion to turn off FTPM but I'm not sure if it's what causing the issue.

Can you please help me out if you had this issue or you know how to know the culprit for the stutter?

8 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

There have been lots of questions about how to eliminate the stuttering in games.  Many include the X3D CPUs too.  I would first go into the Windows settings and set the power mode to 'balanced' if you currently have it set to 'best performance'.  One person noticed voltage spikes aligned with stuttering events under the 'best performance' setting and they went away when he switched to 'balanced'.

I do believe some people have disabled the CPU fTPM in the BIOS and had good results with that.  I know that you needed fTPM enabled during the Windows install, but apparently you can disable it after Windows is up and running.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

I've tried both suggestions and none has worked. Could it be possible that the montior might cause the stutter? Because the FPS graph is always above 240 Hz. I've lost all hopes.

I've tried also turning off PBO but the bios won't allow me to save the changes.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I doubt it's the monitor, but you should be using a high quality DP cable, one rated for the current DP specifications (1.2 or 1.4).  I don't think there are monitors using DP 1.4 yet, but I could be wrong.

DisplayPort 1.2 offers a maximum total bandwidth of 21.6 Gbps over its four lanes and a maximum total data rate of 17.28 Gbps. In comparison, DisplayPort 1.4 has the same four-lane structure but expands the maximum total bandwidth to 32.40 Gbps, and the maximum total data rate to 25.92 Gbps.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

I have this display port and I think it's good:

UGREEN 8k DP to DP Cable 2M, 1.4 DisplayPort Cable 8k@60Hz/4k@240Hz/2k@240/2k@165Hz, 8k Male to Male Cable Nylon Braided for Gaming monitor, Samsung PC, ThinkVision G32qc/Y27qf, DELL S2421HS/S2721DS

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That should be a good cable.  If you have another monitor on hand, I would try that too.  Have you used your Odyssey G7 with another computer to verify it's still working properly?

Can you limit the frames per second in a game you are playing where you have the stuttering issue?  I don't mean setting the limit at 240 Hz, more like 120 Hz.  Just as a test to see if the stuttering persists.

Did you disable the CPU fTPM in the BIOS?  I believe you said you did, but I want to verify that.  It has been a source of stuttering in the past.  

When you say that you disabled the AMD graphics card, I think you mean that you disabled the 7800X3D internal graphics - which is what you want to do in the BIOS.  Maybe you should double check those settings to ensure it's really turned off (waste of power since you have the external graphics card).

Lastly, check the PCIe settings in the BIOS to ensure it's set to PCIe 4 and not 3.  If you have a second PCIe slot on your motherboard, you could try your GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER in that slot as a test (check the PCIe settings for that slot too).

0 Likes

I have checked all of them but stutters are still there. I've noticed that when I clean install nvidia drivers sometimes the stutter goes away but for only 1 day max.
I've noticed that I don't have PCI driver. Could it be related to the stutters?Screenshot 2024-07-31 071543.png

0 Likes
azoz
Adept I

I've tried turning disabling PBO but it also didn't work. The original option was auto. Could it be that windows 11 is causing the problem?

azoz
Adept I

Are there any perfect settings to configure in the bios to make sure I'm getting the best performance without stutters?