cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Walluttt
Adept II

PC Restarting when gaming

When i'm gaming in some heavy games, my pc restarts after some hours in. I don't really know why. At first I thought it was linked to OC/UV of my gpu and cpu, but after resetting to default setting it still does it. I did a sfc scan and nothing was detected as well as chkdsk. I don't think it is related to heat spikes because in average my jonc temp for my gpu is around 90 and my cpu 65. I don't know if it comes from my cpu, gpu, ram or psu. Here's my specs:

-Ryzen 5 5600X

-Be quiet! Pure rock 2

-CX 750M

-gigabyte aorus B550 elite V2

-RX 6800

-W10 Pro

-4x8 Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz

22 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,

I wouldn't discard GPU temps yet, 90ºC seems high for an average.

To put you in perspective, my RoG Strix RX6800 won't even touch 70ºC for a maximum temperature with 2300 core clock.

You can also try this: Do you have DOCP enabled? Disable it and troubleshoot again.

The Englishman

I dont think so, anyway i didn't touch any function called this way. Does it have another nam

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

90 C is way too high.  See what you can do to get more cooling air into the case around your GPU and make sure it's not being overclocked.  

Can I assume your PC doesn't restart during web browsing sessions, but only when gaming?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
Walluttt
Adept II

I thought it was normal for the junction temps. I didn't optimize the curves with the amd software, would it be a good start ? 

and indeed it doesn't crash while browsing or doing anything not gpu heavy

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Do whatever you can to increase cooling to the video card.  Even undervolting the video card can help.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

So pc restart can be caused by the gpu overheating ? I will try this then 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's a good question.  I would normally expect the PC to just freeze as the video display stops.  I'm not so sure it would trigger a restart.  Windows can do some strange things when components stop responding though.  A good example is when the RAM is failing and you get a blue screen.

A faulty gpu wouldn't cause restart ? Maybe it comes from my psi, it's ten-year old but i don't have anything to test 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Your PSU is 10 years old?  So that is also suspect.  It's hard to know when a PSU is failing unless you can monitor the voltages on the rails just prior to the failure.  If it's really 10 years old, I would certainly consider that a candidate for replacement.  Go for a quality brand closer to 1,000 watts if you elect to replace it.  I never mess around with the PSU's I buy.  I just paid over $300 for a 1200 Watt Silverstone unit in the build I'm working on right now.

0 Likes

You are right, GPU tend to crash and leave a zombie PC. Unless its tied down to a bad PSU not providing enough power to the graphics card, then it will trip and restart.

@Walluttt 

Downclock and Undervolt.
2000, I know its low but its for troubleshooting.
Undervolt to something like 900-1000mV

johnnyenglish_0-1687043217460.png

Disable Zero RPM

johnnyenglish_1-1687043340685.png

The Englishman

thanks for the advices, I will try the downclocking and undervolting first to see if there is any improvement then if it isn't done i will buy a psu. Btw what do you mean by "GPU tend to crash and leave a zombie PC" does it prove my gpu is not faulty ?

Normally when a GPU crashes due to something, it will most of the times not trigger a restart.

And your main issue is a restarting PC. Although, we cannot ignore that GPU temps are high.

The PSU is not the best there is, its a low tier Bronze, you can check if its making coil whine when GPU is under load.

List of things to check:

- Are the pcie power cables well connected? Are they two separate cables from the PSU?
- Are the fans spinning correctly?
- Try disabling XMP/DOCP/AXMP run ram at default
- Downclock GPU
- Check for PSU Coil Whine

The Englishman

I can't really tell if i hear the sound coming from the gpu or the psu, but there's coil whine. I plugged it in daisy chain as I don't have any other pcie cable. I can try to disable xmp too

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Then it's most likely a PSU problem of supplying enough current to your video card.  You should have separate PCIe cables from the PSU to the video card without daisy chaining.

As far as I remember there was just one pcie cable for my gpu. But anyway i looked back in my minidump files and found out my pc had some restarts monthes before i bought my new gpu, they were just appearing less often with the rtx 3060

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I recommend you replace your PSU then.  Keep the old one as a spare for systems that don't require a higher end video card.  You can expect to spend over $100 USD for a quality unit.  I would not buy one below the 750 W level.

0 Likes

Did you use DDU to remove any leftover nvidia driver/software files?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Yes I did use DDU, I did back a driver clean install with the amd software yesterday but it was still the same

just changed my psu. It still does it......

0 Likes

Ok I may have a clue. Can it be caused by faulty ram ?

0 Likes

I updated my bios when suddenly my screen turned black. I decided to remove 3 of my 4 ram sticks and it when on again. I saw on forums that ram could be responsible on making your pc unable to run after a bios update. It really does seems to me that ram is responsible am I wrong ?

0 Likes