cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Nvidia brings G-Sync support to FreeSync monitors

colesdav​ mentioned on another thread about Nvidia using Freesync. Found this website that confirms what he mentioned: Nvidia brings G-Sync support to FreeSync monitors | PC Gamer . Which is great for me since I needed to purchase a new monitor which also happens to have Freesync on it and I own a Nvidia GPU card at the moment.

A driver update will soon turn on G-Sync support for other variable refresh monitors.

For a few years, Nvidia's G-Sync has been the best thing going in gaming monitors: an adaptive sync technology that uses specialized hardware to match the framerate of the monitor with an Nvidia graphics card. Because G-Sync displays use proprietary Nvidia tech, though, they're pricey, and the open standard of FreeSync has come close to delivering the same experience on lower priced variable refresh displays. Now Nvidia is bringing G-Sync compatibility to some of those FreeSync monitors, no extra hardware required.

"We tested about 400 [adaptive sync] monitors and 12 of them passed," Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang said at the company's CES press conference Sunday. "We're going to test every async monitor the world has made, and for the ones that pass, we're going to certify them, and we're going to optimize the software to support them, and we're going to turn it on in our software so that whatever Geforce customer enjoys that panel can now enjoy it as if they purchased a G-Sync monitor."

This new FreeSync monitor support will go live in Nvidia's January 15 driver update. And it actually won't be limited just to FreeSync monitors that Nvidia says pass certification. Those monitors will simply have the feature turned on by default.

"For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we’ll give you an option to manually enable [G-Sync], too," says Nvidia's press release.

For a more detailed explanation of G-Sync and FreeSync technology, check out our breakdown of the two here.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Hi,

You asked me to let you know when the driver is out. It was just released a few hours ago.

Here are the details:

Version:417.71  WHQL
Release Date:2019.1.15
Operating System:Windows 10 64-bit

There is a link to what Nvidia are calling 'Gsync Compatible' FreeSync monitors on their website.

Bye.

0 Likes

Thanks I took a look at it, it doesn't mention anything about being compatible with AMD Freesync monitors.

Any downloaded it and will probably install later on once I see it is stable.

0 Likes

Hi
It should work with any  'FreeSync' Monitor, the 'Gsyc Compatible' part is about Nvidia testing available FreeSync moniitors and stating that they are good enough in terms of being flicker free, stutter free, with a good FreeSync range (i.e. better than 48-75 for example...) and also the panel quality etc.
Good luck with testing it.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Installed on my system and activated variable refresh.  I don't notice any difference in quality between the variable refresh on an NVidia or AMD GPU.