cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft takes a step toward phasing out 32-bit PC support for Windows 10

Something expected eventually by Microsoft and Windows x32 : Microsoft takes a step toward phasing out 32-bit PC support for Windows 10 | ZDNet 

New Windows 10 PCs, starting with the May 2020 Update/2004, will be able to run 64-bit Windows 10 only. Existing PCs are unaffected.

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | May 13, 2020 -- 22:15 GMT (15:15 PDT) | Topic: Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 2004, Microsoft is changing the minimum hardware requirements for the device. The change affects new, not existing PCs from OEMs only.

According to the documentation (thanks to @TeroAlhonen for the link), Microsoft isn't making available copies of 32-bit Windows 10 media. For now, Microsoft is still allowing users to buy 32-bit Windows 10 at retail and to continue to get updates for their existing 32-bit Windows implementations. Anonyone with a 32-bit PC should be fine for as long as their devices remain usable. 

From Microsoft's documentation on minimum hardware requirements for Windows 10 desktop editions:

"Beginning with Windows 10, version 2004, all new Windows 10 systems will be required to use 64-bit builds and Microsoft will no longer release 32-bit builds for OEM distribution. This does not impact 32-bit customer systems that are manufactured with earlier versions of Windows 10; Microsoft remains committed to providing feature and security updates on these devices, including continued 32-bit media availability in non-OEM channels to support various upgrade installation scenarios."

This is just a first step on what's likely to be a long and drawn-out process of making Windows 10 a 64-bit only product. 

Microsoft is expected to start rolling out Windows 10 2004, the May 2020 Update, on May 28, sources say.

12 Replies

So oddly enough the 2004 update on the media creation tool site, does have a 32 bit ISO available for download. Just posted today..

0 Likes

At the moment, Microsoft is still supporting Windows x32 on all previous Windows PCs and Non-OEM PCs which is why it probably has a 32 bit ISO.

But any Users that purchase an OEM PC with Windows 2004 installed will not be able to install Windows x32 bit Windows on it for whatever reason they may have.

Not sure if you do a Clean Windows x32 bit on a Windows 2004 OEM PC if it will install or not. 

Anyway that is how I understood the article.

0 Likes

Probably where I went wrong.....you actually have to read the article.....LOL

0 Likes

You are in good company (-: .

0 Likes

I have used x64 since release day of Windows XP x64, I have used 64-bit operating systems ever since.

Software I develop is 64-bit only even if it is small. The reason is much easier memory management.

x64 has an address space of 18 EB so there is lots of room beyond any possible memory technology 

0 Likes

Yes, Windows x64 is definitely a huge improvement over Windows x32.

Most PC with 4 gbtes of RAM MEMORY will be pretty much obsolete since you really can't run most modern games or professional software on 4 gbytes RAM MEMORY or less. If it does run it will run very poorly.

0 Likes

I have many core 2 duo machines with 4gb and 64 bit Win 10, here at work. They still run Office and browse the web just fine. 

0 Likes

Regular computer use, 4 gbytes is fine, like browsing or using Office spread sheets or Word etc. But if you take a look at software like Adobe Premier Pro (8 gbyte minimum)  or AutoDesk (12 gbyte minimum) etc those require a minimum 8 gbyte of RAM or more to run.

According to this gaming website, 8 gbyte of RAM is minimum requirement to run the latest games: https://www.gamingscan.com/how-much-ram-for-gaming/

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

Regular computer use, 4 gbytes is fine, like browsing or using Office spread sheets or Word etc. But if you take a look at software like Adobe Premier Pro (8 gbyte minimum)  or AutoDesk (12 gbyte minimum) etc those require a minimum 8 gbyte of RAM or more to run.

According to this gaming website, 8 gbyte of RAM is minimum requirement to run the latest games: https://www.gamingscan.com/how-much-ram-for-gaming/

That is more or less the mentality of the Xbox One and PS4. The difference is that the memory on a console is all the same, while the PC is different.

The VRAM on the PC is called dual port memory. This way the CPU and the GPU can both access the resources.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

Yes, Windows x64 is definitely a huge improvement over Windows x32.

Most PC with 4 gbtes of RAM MEMORY will be pretty much obsolete since you really can't run most modern games or professional software on 4 gbytes RAM MEMORY or less. If it does run it will run very poorly.

My X570 has 32GB of RAM installed, prices are low enough I can afford 4x8GB at the ideal speed for my R5 3600 processor.

It is eye opening how much RAM and VRAM a given game today will use if it is available

Look at my RX 480 with 8GB of VRAM, that is 8x more than a 32-bit operating system can recognize. With 64-bit windows the whole 8GB is fully leveraged.

0 Likes

When it comes to ram on the GPU though often what is called used is really just allocated not that it is really using that much. You are correct though it is rapidly changing. This next generation of games that come out for the upcoming consoles are going to be the beginning of some much heftier requirements. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

When it comes to ram on the GPU though often what is called used is really just allocated not that it is really using that much. You are correct though it is rapidly changing. This next generation of games that come out for the upcoming consoles are going to be the beginning of some much heftier requirements. 

I have several video cards and games will use what is available. Like I said it was eye opening the way games use machines with more than a console worth of resources.

0 Likes