cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Interesting thread on Reddit! Is Nvidia trying to stomp out the AMD brand? Check out the thread:

0 Likes
8 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

That's probably not really going to be an issue.  NVidia has pretty high standards for any VESA adaptive sync monitor to be called "Gsync Compatible".  I imagine most panels won't be able to hit those specs and will just have to label themselves "adaptive sync" or "Freesync"

0 Likes

I think the point they were making though is that Nvidia and the OEM's seem to be now labeling them as adaptive or g-sync compatible leaving out AMD's FreeSync name altogether. Point being AMD should protect it trademark features. That being said I'll be the first to admit that FreeSync works better as G-Sync Compatible on my RTX 2060 and my FreeSync monitor than it ever did with any of the AMD drivers on my RX 580, so go figure.

0 Likes

Oh and yes the standards are higher to be listed as G-Sync compatible under the Vesa Standard, that however doesn't stop you from enabling it in the driver if you choose and you still can. Mine isn't listed as compatible but works great.

0 Likes

I think in some ways G-sync Compatible helps the adaptive sync standard.  Since there are more rigid requirements, you know that displays that meet them will perform to certain specs (no flickering, ghosting etc.).  That will be true if you use an NVidia or AMD GPU as well.  Before, AMD simply allowed manufacturers to label all adaptive sync monitors as "Freesync".  Which led to massive differences in user experience depending on which monitor you bought.  

0 Likes

I completely agree with that statement. With FreeSync it did not seem there was any policing of the standard at all. At least Nvidia does test the ones it claims are compatible. So yes any level of verification is a great thing for consumers. I have felt from the beginning about half of the so called Freesync issues have nothing to with drivers and are just poor hardware implementations in the monitors.

0 Likes

My LG panel supports advanced FreeSync and it works properly

0 Likes
luisfpr
Adept II

Well folks watch what Jim from AdoredTV has to say about it and you'll see why AMD needs to stop NVidia from killing the FreeSync brand! Nvidia Kills FreeSync, Intel "Meets Competition" - YouTube 

0 Likes

Going to AdoredTV is like getting your news from Fox News.