cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Enabling Freesync on Samsung Neo G9 causing dark image.

Windows 11 Pro

XFX 7900XTX

5800X3D

Samsung Neo G9 5120x1440  (1011.0 firmware)

60/120/240hz (same problem on all 3 refresh rates)

Adrenalin 23.3.1

HDR works beautifully in Windows 11 until I turn on Freesync.  The output image then becomes MUCH darker, although the freesync function itself is working properly.  Even in SDR mode the image becomes quite a bit darker with Freesync enabled.  Any help is appreciated, thank you.

0 Likes
8 Replies

I'd like to report a fix to this issue!  Apparently this is an issue with Freesync Premium Pro.  If you force this to be treated as a Freesync Premium monitor it will be allowed to reach full brightness with Freesync enabled.  This explains why the image has been dark whether in HDR or SDR because it had nothing to do with that.  It was capped at 400 nits of brightness when Freesync was enabled.  And now... 2 years later... IT WORKS.  I can finally get my money's worth out of the flagship monitor I bought.  Here's a link to the solution: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/1417lww/samsung_oled_g8_service_menu_tweak_for...

Even though that post is regarding a G8, it works equally well for the G9. Confirmed.

0 Likes

”If you force this to be treated as a Freesync Premium monitor it will be allowed to reach full brightness with Freesync enabled”

How can I do this on my monitor? Or is setting the lux in the service menu enabling this

0 Likes

Download the CRU app (Custom Resolution Utility) if you don't have already have it.  Launch it and confirm your monitor is selected in the top pulldown.  In the "extension blocks" window at the bottom, select CTA-861 and then click "edit."  Select "FreeSync range" and delete it.  Then select Freesync range again and "add."  Enter 48hz-175hz as the new range and click ok. Within the CRU folder you will see a "restart64" executable.  Run that to restart the video driver and enjoy. Just takes a few minutes total.  You will need to repeat this process each time you update the video driver. Credit for this solution belongs to the user kr0mka in the AMD reddit. Hope this works as well and easily for you.

0 Likes

Worked like a charm on my neo g7. You are an absolute legend! Any reason for not having the range 48-165hz?

I'm stoked to hear it worked for you!  I went through nearly 2 years of searching for a real solution for my Neo G9 before I stumbled on that fix.  As far as the hz range, I am merely the messenger.  48-175 is what I saw in the solution on reddit.  It worked and that was good enough for me haha.  

0 Likes
Killrockstar
Adept I

Wow going to try this later, I have been so torn between using my display in sdr or hdr with no freesync, if this works amazing and maybe someone could forward this on to samsung or amd for their next driver updates?

0 Likes
Killrockstar
Adept I

now if they could only fix 120hz mode not running at 160hz with a dp cable the monitor will be perfect!

0 Likes
Barberq
Journeyman III

Does this solved?

0 Likes