Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

aggebagg
Journeyman III

Computer dies after gaming, no BSOD

Hi! I could use some help with troubleshooting

Previously I had problems playing Hell Let Loose for more than 2 hours. Then I disables PBO in bios and everything worked fine. 
However, I am still having issues when I play high-performance games for extended periods (around 12 hours). The computer shuts down. This time I played CS2 the whole day and then it died, even with PBO disabled. It only dies when I play, not when idle. 

In the logs it says:
Critical: Kernel-Power. 

Everything is connected to a power strip with surge protection, so there shouldn't be any impact from bad weather.

This is my computer setup:
RAM: Kingston 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MHz CL36 FURY Beast
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2GHz 104MB
Motherboard: MSI Pro B650-P WIFI
Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L
GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC - 24GB GDDR6 SDRAM
PSU: Corsair RM1000x PSU (1000w 80+ Gold)

What I have tried:
- Disabled PBO: worked for shorter gaming periods
- Ran MSI Kombustor v.4.1.29.0 as well as GIMPS Prime95 for 1,5 hour: I have the temperature file and it looks like it is stable at 89C (maximum Tjunction (TJMax)), but then it has these wierd jumps to 104C (which is not seen in Adrenaline software but in the excel-file (Temp-log)). NOTE: Temp-logs are from after 30 min stresstest. Could it be the CPB that is causing this?
- Ran memtest - nothing was identified 
- Updated BIOS

I don’t know what to do. Could it be caused by the PSU?
It’s frustrating when you spend a small fortune to get a nice gaming computer, and then it doesn't work

5 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

That cooler is just not enough for that CPU in my opinion, you must be having temperature spikes causing the shutdown, with boosting enabled, its even worse.

Noctua even have a disclaimer stating you can't go full throttle with it.

Its best for you to use a custom lower PPT/TDC/EDC (Also known as ECO Mode) till you get something beefier.

johnnyenglish_0-1718113535266.png

Good Luck

The Englishman
FunkZ
Paragon

In support of @johnnyenglish statement, the Noctua NH-D9L is manufacturer rated for only 88W and the 7800X3D  is a 120W TDP processor with a 162W PPT. The AMD General Specifications state: "Liquid cooler recommended for optimal performance".

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

7800x3d isnt the most power hungry boi and is pretty efficient my Noctua NH-U12S is more than enough but i do admit the NH-D9L is not as strong so no idea if thats the problem would try cinebench stress test for thermals 

I'm sorry but TDP and power comsuption are not the same. Keep in mind that X3D parts have a lower safe operating temperature. AKA tJ max.

We also have an official AMD guideline for recommended coolers not mentioning the online Noctua warning.

The user also stated some unusually high peaks of 104, that would definetely trigger CPU safety mechanisms.

This is almost 99% the culprit.

The Englishman

I totally agree that its a thermal issue.  I would pull the side panel off the case and put a big box fan in front of it, blowing air into the case.  Then I would do an extended gaming session and monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures to see if they cross the 90 C level.  If that works, it's time for a much better cooling configuration.  I recommend an AIO setup for the CPU.  There is no mention of the fan configuration within the case or even what case is being used.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".