cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

astelzero
Journeyman III

Coil Whine

Today I bought new PSU, both 8 pin and 6 pin are connected. But I still get that very strange noise from my graphics card

I have RX 580 Nitro+ 4gb...

12 Replies

Coil Whine occurs with high powered hardware like the PSU & GPU. The high power usage causes certain electronic components in the hardware to start making noises.

If it is actually Coil Whine then your best bet is to RMA the GPU card and get another one. There is not much you can do to get rid of Coil Whine besides insulating your Computer case against noises or components in your GPU card.

If the Noise increases when the GPU card is under heavy loads then it could be Coil Whine. Need to be sure the noise is coming from the GPU card and not some other hardware such as your PSU.

Some other Users have found out that their GPU made noises like Coil Whine depending on which AMD Driver version they have installed. There were one or two threads here at AMD Forums concerning noisy AMD GPU Cards.

When you first installed the GPU card was it noisy or did it start afterwards after a certain period had gone by?

Hey guys, so I have a AMD Radeon 5500xt mech 8gb and I didn’t have the problem before but now I have a slight buzzing noise maybe coil whine I’m not sure but it does it when I hover over apps or are in a app scrolling. I uninstalled drivers and checked and it did not so the noise, installed them again and the noise came back. Is this just how it is or is there a driver update problem? I appreciate any responses!!! 😁

When you install the driver it activates the cards power profile, hence it starts to use more power an "coil whine" can be a result. Most GPU manufacture's won't RMA over it unless it's super unbearable. My Gigabyte RX 5600 XT just started buzzing slightly during boot. It's really harmless but can be annoying. How to reduce coil whine from your Video Card - YouTube That link has some ideas to reduce it. Gigabyte will not RMA for coil whine, however you can say it's doing anything else and get an RMA. 

That said, I've RMA'd an XFX R9390 years ago for coil whine and the one i got back did it worse! So it again comes down to can you live with it or not? Like in the video, the higher the OC the worse it will be or if you have a 60Hz monitor and you either don't have FreeSync or it's not on, your card will be trying to push 150 FPS or more through, causing extra load for no good reason. Refresh rate equals the highest FPS a card can display without screen tearing or blurred motion. So 120Hz is 120 FPS, 60Hz is 60 FPS, and so on. Key note, is the human eye can only fully track 30 FPS, that's a biological limit. I found that out working with security camera systems and it makes me wonder why we all try to get hundreds of FPS if our eye/brain can't fully "take it all in", lmao!

"It worked before you broke it!"

I appreciate the reply thank you for the information, I will probably just live with it but I’m glad it isn’t anything bad. I don’t wanna take my chance and get a new one and it be worse. One last question though could a new adrenaline software fix this problem in the future? 

0 Likes

I also don’t really hear it in a game. Mostly when hovering over apps and doing school work on chrome or other apps it will do it small bursts. 

0 Likes

No future drivers will get rid of it. It's a electro-mechanical issue. One would need to find the offending capacitor and solder a new one in. If it was screaming load, I'd send it back but other than that, ignore, where a headset or go with a Fractal Design S series case and use an AIO cooler.

I think its the new drivers update. Because, my 5700 xt hadnt make that noices before, but ater this update, i started to heard them after closing my games

0 Likes

It can start making that noise anytime in it's life of service. Drivers are a coincidence. Put the old ones back in, it'll still make the sound. You can't argue electronic facts because they're like laws of physics. I'd say 98% of video cards develop a whine or hiss in their lifetimes. Some brands are worse than others. My 7 month old Gigabyte RX 5600 XT just started buzzing every now and then, mainly on boot. No performance loss, heard way worse. Every card I've ever had has made coil whine at some point.

Do what @colesdav  says and run a frame limiter or set one in the game if it has it. Run lower texture resolution, see if anything makes it better or not. Either way, I and any electronic engineer guarantee the driver didn't cause a hardware noise. 

RMA the card and the next one will do it too at some point. Change brands, it'll do it at some point. Nvidia's do it too. There is no escape but running onboard CPU graphics like an AMD A-10 or the 3200G, or Intel's 630 HD graphics built in. Then the onboard audio will act up, it never ends.

If something is electronic and uses any circuit with a device that reduces or increases voltage/current, there's a possibility of audible noise. That goes for PSU's, CPU's, onboard audio, northbridge (older boards), monitors, etc., etc.

0 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the reply’s and help. I hav not fixed the issue but I have been reading. A lot of people say turning curser trail on will get rid of it in windows. It only really bothers me when I’m doing school work using the curser and ONLY when it touches an app I can do it all day on just the background but once it touches an app bam makes the noise. Weird!!!!! 

0 Likes

I'd just add that the video attached to the post sounds way too loud to be normal coil whine. 

Typically, a card only really whines with ridiculously high frame rates.  Use some kind of frame rate limiter (vsync is a good choice if you're always above the monitor's refresh) and it becomes negligible or even non-existent.

I'd replace the card if it's that loud and not tied to frame rates.

0 Likes

If the noise is coming from your GPU inductor coil whine you can try playing with an FPS Limiter and see how the noise varies with Game FPS. 

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Works for me on hissing R9 Fury GPUs. 

0 Likes
Martiniweenie
Journeyman III

I'm a bit late to the party. I purchased an rx 6900 xt and paired it to a corsair 1000w psu. My gpu had unbearable coil whine for three months. I just updated Radeon Software today and the coil whine just disappeared. Just figured I'd post this here as there's other people with the same coil whine issue. 

0 Likes