cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

bfontes
Adept I

Can't Display 1366x768 with Win10 and Radeon RX 580

Hello, my favorite resolution has always been 1366x768.  I just bought a brand new computer with Win10 and an AMD Radeon RX 580 card.  Same monitor as I have had for years.  For some reason, 1366x768 does not appear as an option in my desktop settings or in any game settings.  This is very upsetting for me since 1600x900 makes things too small for me, and 1280x720 doesn't fit all the content for some games that I play.  Is there any hope?  I hope I am just missing the proper setting somewhere and you folks will be able to help me.  Thanks.

17 Replies

Run your monitor at its native resolution and increase the scaling options

0 Likes

Thanks, that's a good solution for windowed programs, but it seems to have no effect on games that run in full screen mode.

0 Likes

Yup, do use higher scaling. Absolutely no point in having an RX 580 and running 1366x768, or even 1600x900. That card should be run at 1080p. Get yourself one of those nice Samsung 144HZ 1080p QLED HDR Freesync monitors. For a better gaming experience, you need higher refresh rates, not extreme low resolution.

0 Likes

I have started using scaling thanks, my problem now is just that some of my full screen games don't have a scaling option and they don't inherit the scaling from the general Windows setting.

Still I'm wondering why the 1366x768 setting has disappeared.  I have 800x600 as an option, also 1280x720, so the reason can't be that the rez is too low.  Is it because of Win10?  Or because of the video card?  I can't deal with the text being too small, but 768 seems to be the minimum required to make sure things don't get squeezed off the screen.  I've started using 1920x1080 (my native) with a 125% scaling, which looks nice, not as small as 1600x900.  I just wish all games had that scaling setting.

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

WHY do you use an ancient monitor with an RX-580?

1366x768 is so ancient/outdated that even my RX-570 can handle a 4K display(3840x 2160) E-A-S-I-L-Y!

Get a contemporary monitor is my recommendation!

0 Likes

Wow thanks, please let me know where to go to sign up to be as cool as you are!

Looks like lots of other folks could use this advice also, since 1366x768 is BY FAR the most popular setting according to multiple sources.

Desktop Screen Resolution Stats Worldwide | StatCounter Global Stats

No, it isn't when it comes to gaming setups. Who buys an RX 580 for everyday tasks and no gaming? Look at here: Steam Hardware & Software Survey

I don't know what the point of your thread is anymore as you seem to do nothing but condone the usage of 1366x768 which is ironic. Just put it to 1920x1080 and use higher scaling if you can't read your stuff, and if you have issues with reading things in a game at FHD on something like a 24 inch monitor, you might as well have your eyes checked.

0 Likes

If you're talking about handling Windows desktop, even a GT 710 can run UHD there.

However, if you're talking about handling modern games at high settings, then no, the RX 570 won't do 4k properly. Even my overclocked 1080 Ti started having frame drops to below 60 in Rainbow Six Siege after one of the recent updates. The savage map in PUBG closed experimental test server lags at 4k, too. Other things like Forza run fine though.

0 Likes

Here my RX-570 all FarCry3/4/Primal (on all Ultra) run perfectly smooth @ 3840x2160 and even the SkyDiver (3DMark) scores ~21457 in UHD mode.

0 Likes

It's clear that you're mentioning old games and a benchmark made for laptops and lower end machines to make your RX 570 look better than it is.

Anybody knows you need a Vega 64 LQ / 1080 Ti minimum for proper *modern* 4k gaming. Try Resident Evil 7 or The Evil Within 2 and see 20 FPS.

0 Likes

Do you have VSR and GPU scaling enabled? It gives you extra settings in display:

0 Likes
dancer42
Adept II

there are current 4k tvs that will do 240 refresh rate, my 4k is old and only does 120 refresh but i only spent about 350 delivered for my 56 inch if you get a new tv that will do 240 refresh then you can run 2160p instead of 1/4 or 1/2 of that and native 4k is nice. 

0 Likes

No, there aren't unless you're talking about internal methods of interpolating. Nearly every 4k TV out there will have a "real" refresh rate of 60 HZ. Some Korean TVs do a bit more, but those are an exception. If you want REAL 144HZ at 4k, you need to shell out $3000 for the 27 inch AUO monitor.

0 Likes

or all intents and purposes the human eye cannot detect screen flicker

above 70 frames per second if you are doing three dee in which you may want

120 frames per second the vizio 55 inch supports hdmi 2.1 which supports

1080p at 120 fps and can be had for 600 dollars my 4k does memc 120 and yes

you are right the 120 mode makes tweens between each 60fps frame.

0 Likes

Yes, yes it can. That's why Freesync and G-Sync displays exist. Interlacing is not real 120 FPS so stop talking about it as if it is. You neither get 120 HZ selection in your AMD settings nor actually refresh at 120 HZ. It's just the panel doing FRC. 1080p desktop looks like crap on 55 inches BTW.

0 Likes

Has your issue been resolved?

0 Likes
lukaspc99
Journeyman III

Having the same issue, with a rx570. My monitor one day worked fine, and then suddenly the 1366x768 resolution is not available. And for some of you saying "just buy a 1080p monitor" there are places in the world that good quality electronics are not affordable. So for some people the solution of simply going to a store and buying new things is not possible.

0 Likes