cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Black Friday 2019 GPU Purchases: Watch out for false / incorrect advertising regarding value of AMD Raise the Game bundles.

Hi everyone.

GPU prices have been very high due to Mining Prices and also have generally seem to have been held high on new GPUs since the mining boom ended.These "high prices" seem to be the new "normal".

Many of you may have been holding off until Black Friday sale to purchase your new AMD GPUs.

There are some good discounts available on some AMD GPUs already - with up to 20% reduction in price on some GPU models along with the latest AMD Raise the game bundle: https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game 

I think the AMD Raise the game bundle is good and I have benefited from recent bundles on Ryzen Processor and AMD GPUs but beware that there are some large retailers advertising the value of the bundle as at least 2 times higher than the actual cost to purchase the games directly at the games official stores.

Also note "Black Friday discounts are / may be available on games if purchased separately at game stores.

I am not sure if AMD can do anything to stop retailers overstating the value of the AMD Raise the Game bundles and I am aware that the T&C's state that the codes have zero monetary value, and they may run out before you redeem them.

Just making everyone aware in case they get caught out by this.

Bye.

4 Replies

Indeed, comparing Newegg (Top) to B&H Photo (bottom) shows how different even reputable retailers can be for the same items.

But also make sure your Black Friday/Cyber Monday "deals" are actually deals. With AMD set to finally replace the 3 year old Polaris entry and lower mid range cards soon, which may have ray tracing functionality as well as additional perks such as priority driver development for around the same prices as the current RX 580... Also, a deal on a Ryzen 2000 series processor may seem like a good deal, but is it worth the 15% lower IPC in addition to lower clocks and higher power consumption compared to Ryzen 3000?

0 Likes

The larger discounts I see so far are on the RX580 and RX590 8GB cards, so maybe the new low end Navi are due to replace them.

RE: as well as additional perks such as priority driver development (on new AMD GPUs).
As far as I can see it it takes at least 6-9 months before the drivers and BIOS work on new AMD / new AIB AMD cards  based on my RX Vega 64 Liquid experience.
I prefer out of date AMD cards at low cost which have ~working drivers and BIOS.

0 Likes

The thorn in AMD's side is the GTX 1660 6GB sitting pretty at $200-$210, which right now is the same price as an RX 590. It's faster, -much- more power efficient, and modern enough to not have to worry about driver support being terminated anytime soon. And when the RX 5500/5600 are released relatively soon, they'll get the driver improvements while the RX 500 series drops by the wayside. Plus nVidia is in a much stronger position to comp any AMD Black Friday discounts, whereas AMD has shown absolutely zero indications at regaining or even maintaining market share.

0 Likes

Mining activity keeps me far from the video card market. Been considering more hard disks for the gaming box given they are less costly. 

Next year the Intel 665p SSD may offer better prices after launch.

0 Likes