Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Grimlock888
Adept I

ASUS Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB Heating question

Hi Guys (sorry for my terrible english)

i like to ask about this gpu model ASUS Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB  is this model has the same overheating issue  as the other models like the Saphirre ? Becouse im living in Hungary and paying for a expensive gpu kinda chain me down for atlest 2 year and i want to make sure that im buying a perfect model.

Thank you for a answer.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

it depends on the card you are looking at. There are two types of cards, the MBA (Made by AMD), often also called reference cards as well as custom cards.

The MBA / reference cards are produced by AMD, they sell them under their own branding via amd.com directly, but also send those cards to their board partners like Asus, Sapphire, XFX, Power Color and so on. The board partners receive those cards, put them inside their own branded packages and get them to the retailers. Some batches of the MBA cards are affected by defunct coolers, hence the heating issues. Since those cards all come from the same factory and are just repackaged by the partners, it doesn't matter if you get one from Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, XFX or AMD directly: It might be affected. I don't know if AMD was able to verify all bad batches and recalled some of the cards from the retailers, so I am not sure if all those MBA cards in stock at retailers are "good" or if there are still faulty ones on the shelves. The Asus card you asked about is a MBA model by the way.

The custom cards on the other hand are designed and manufactured by the board partners themselves. Since these use unique cooling solutions with completely different design, these cards aren't affected by the thermal issues you are reading about. If you want to avoid getting a bad card as much as possible, you might want to look for a custom card like an Asus TUF, Power Color Red Devil and Hellhound, Sapphire Nitro and Pulse, XFX Merc, Asrock Taichi and Phantom Gaming, Gigabyte Aorus Elite and Gaming. Again these cards are completely built by the manufacturers and use different cooling solutions.

As someone else also stated, by far not all MBA cards are affected, for example mine is running cool since over three weeks, the card works just as it should.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
eebiii
Miniboss

Good question. Not sure, I'll leave it to the pros to answer. I just wanted to say that is a badass card and I want one too.

0 Likes

AMD stated the overheating issue (Defective Vapor Chamber) isn't with all the RX7900XTX GPU cards. Just with some of the GPU Cards.

One way to find out is by running your GPU card. IF the Hot Spot reaches 110c and the GPU card starts to throttle and you flip the GPU card in a horizontal or Vertical position (Flipping PC case) and the Hot Spot returns to normal (Below 110c) then you have one of the affect GPU cards.

Otherwise you can contact Asus Support to help determine if you have one of the affected  GPU cards or not.

I understand that if the card is in the upright position the vapor chamber does what it is supposed to do.  However if the card is positioned on it's side the vapor chamber does not function properly.  So if you have a mid tower case, I'm assuming the card is positioned on it's side.  You might try laying the case on it's side and get the card standing up straight and see if it makes a difference.

Regardless of what happens AMD will likely give you an RMA and a new card that supposedly does not have this issue.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Sorry @elstaci , Guess I should have read your entire reply first.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Hi,

it depends on the card you are looking at. There are two types of cards, the MBA (Made by AMD), often also called reference cards as well as custom cards.

The MBA / reference cards are produced by AMD, they sell them under their own branding via amd.com directly, but also send those cards to their board partners like Asus, Sapphire, XFX, Power Color and so on. The board partners receive those cards, put them inside their own branded packages and get them to the retailers. Some batches of the MBA cards are affected by defunct coolers, hence the heating issues. Since those cards all come from the same factory and are just repackaged by the partners, it doesn't matter if you get one from Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, XFX or AMD directly: It might be affected. I don't know if AMD was able to verify all bad batches and recalled some of the cards from the retailers, so I am not sure if all those MBA cards in stock at retailers are "good" or if there are still faulty ones on the shelves. The Asus card you asked about is a MBA model by the way.

The custom cards on the other hand are designed and manufactured by the board partners themselves. Since these use unique cooling solutions with completely different design, these cards aren't affected by the thermal issues you are reading about. If you want to avoid getting a bad card as much as possible, you might want to look for a custom card like an Asus TUF, Power Color Red Devil and Hellhound, Sapphire Nitro and Pulse, XFX Merc, Asrock Taichi and Phantom Gaming, Gigabyte Aorus Elite and Gaming. Again these cards are completely built by the manufacturers and use different cooling solutions.

As someone else also stated, by far not all MBA cards are affected, for example mine is running cool since over three weeks, the card works just as it should.