cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

FYI: Regular Ryzen Processors doesn't support fTPM feature in BIOS

While assisting another User that was having fTPM issues on his high end MSI Motherboard, The User and I both learned that regular Ryzen Processors doesn't support fTPM feature. Only the Ryzen "Pro" processors version does.

Basically as soon as the User enable fTPM it would crash the computer as soon as it started even though the User had all the correct BIOS Settings configured correctly for fTPM to work.

Here is AMD SUPPORT reply to the User concerning fTPM in regular Ryzen processors:

Screenshot 2021-02-15 072732.png

The User ended up purchasing a separate TPM Module for his motherboard that has a TPM connector to it.

The Motherboards Manufacturer should put a "Note" in either the Motherboard's Spec or Manual that fTPM only works on Pro version of Ryzen processors under TPM mode.

Don't know how many other Users were aware of this fact so I decided to announce it.

EDIT: What is interesting it seems that in Europe where the User resides doesn't sell TPM Modules. I checked a few AMD Distributors in Europe and none sold it. So the User needed to spend about $100-$120.00 to ship a TPM Module (~$25.00) from the USA to Europe.

5 Replies
jrmwng
Journeyman III

I suffer from very same/similar problem (enabled fTPM in BIOS, then cannot boot to change bios settings; no video signal can be detected by monitor; Ryzen 2700x CPU but gigabyte x470 motherboard; motherboard LED shows that CPU is not working properly). 

the above symptoms still exist after I attempted to clear CMOS values in hope to restore BIOS settings.

Before my next move to buy a discrete TPM module / another new AMD processor using AM4 socket, may I learn from you whether you cleared your BIOS settings as well?

0 Likes

The thread I opened seemed to have been in error. Because I have a Ryzen 7 3700X and I am able to enable fTPM on it without any issues using a X570 Asus Motherboard.

It depends on the Motherboard's BIOS to be able to properly enable fTPM in Ryzen Processors.

Found this 2021 LinusTechTips tech forum with the same issue using a Gigabtye Motherboard with a 2700X CPU: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1389122-amd-ftpm-not-working-ryzen-5-2600x/

Screenshot 2022-03-13 220146.png

This is a AMD Forum link from above thread concerning a work around for a Gigabyte Motherboard: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/bsod-on-boot-when-amd-ftpm-is-enabled-in-bios/td-p/155436

Screenshot 2022-03-13 220146.png

Running a X370 MSI MOBO with the Ryen 7 2700x with fTPM enabled and have had no issues even when I upgraded from the 1700x CPU. Flawless conversion but I did make sure to reset my BIOS setting to default before installing the new CPU.

Question is on a MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK MOBO would disabling fTPM improve my CPU performance or not? When I first built this system fTPM auto enabled after I finished installing windows 10.

I've never considered disabling it because under 15-minute stress tests my CPU load tops out around 34 to 37%. 

The Ryzen 2700X was a darn good CPU, but it has several incompatibilities. 

1. Ryzen Master incompatible
  2. PCIE 4 x4 NVMe support

I would question the X370 board and prefer the MPG X570 for this CPU.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
lmstearn
Adept I

Hi,

Very interesting, thanks for the info.

Got here an older Ryzen 5 1600 AF Processor with Wraith Stealth on an ASUS TUF B450 Plus Gaming Motherboard, setup the fTPM key for Windows 11. Seems to be okay, although in shutting the machine down there popped up an AMD illegal instruction message box which may or may not be related, will check the WER logs later. Machine appears to be running well now.

0 Likes