Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Robbert
Adept III

Age yourself - your first GPU? I'll go first

Hi all!

Yet another day, yet another question, what was your first GPU? Mine was a Voodoo card, though we had PCs since the early 80s (I'm from 86)).

Looking forward to y'all's replies!

Robbert

181 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

ATI Rage XL

Ok I’m new, 62 and retired. Decided on on the  ASUS 6700XT OC, hasn’t come in yet, will let you know what I think. Chow for now.

Still no update, received my card and power supply however power supply was bad. Fried the controller for the leds on my fans, had to reinstall the 500 watt supply. Will keep you all posted with pictures once it’s up and going. Awaiting parts!

OK, first update and mistake as considered on my part. Purchased the Mamba 620 wireless keyboard and mouse, they look good I have to admit however their operation is marginal at best. In normal operation they are ok but when gaming they have extreme lagging issues. Furthermore, trying to reach out to the manufacturer is nearly impossible been trying for a week, can't find a phone number and can't catch anyone on the chat line. Don't waste your money or effort' there is a reason they are so cheap unless you are only looking for esthetics.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I remember having a Voodoo 2 video card.  Playing Quake II was a blast with my kids.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Although not a true GPU, the Hercules graphics adapter I had boasted a much higher resolution compared to the rival CGA card during its time. Additionally, I was able to enjoy playing all the games with SimCGA. Here you can find all the information about CPU's

I had a Radeon tv tuner card in a Dell PC that I purchased in 1999.

ATI RAGE 128 Ultra. Very cool card. Had some decent gaming experiences on that one. 

I want to say it was a hand me down 2 MX. All I can remember is play KoToR 2 at under 30fps

ATI RAGE 128---after that the most memorable was this bad boy ---760GTX

rdenmon_0-1680754531160.jpeg

I came to team AMD in 2019ish

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

It was an old Invidia 5200 series AGP interface. I think it had either 64MB or 128MB of ram. Not DDR or anything special just VRAM. It was basically just plug and play. No overclocking software. Just drivers and if you had the right MOBO you could get temperature readouts but only in the BIOS which at that time looked like DOS. 

I want to recall precisely 😂 When I was a child we had a Commodore 64 and as a youngster had pre-made locally acquired PCs. Assembled my first PC in the mid 2000s with an ATI Radeon however after almost twenty years I can't remember what explicitly. 😅

I wish I could remember exactly 😂 When I was a kid we had a Commodore 64 and as a teenager had pre-made store bought PCs. Built my first PC in the early 2000s with an ATI Radeon but after nearly 2 decades I can't recall what specifically. 😅

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •

Similar progression for me.  I had a prebuilt with a GeForce4 MX440 in it.  The first PC I built I got a BFG Geforce 6800 Ultra.

0 Likes
Olemissrebel
Adept II

Tseng Labs ET4000/W32.    🙂

My, how far we've come.. I finally got an evga ftw3 3080ti + evga hybrid kit this week.

Well, tbf that wasn't exactly a gpu (but it helped me play Duke Nukem, others). My first gpu was an Ati Mach 32.

So far advanced!!! I have an evga ftw3 3080ti + evga hybrid kit 😃

The animation studio animation.su creates cartoons and animated series.

This was your first GPU ever?

Oh man .... It was a Vodoo3 ... geez... I feel old now.

Diptenkrom
Adept I

Voodoo 3DFX card. I'm an 80's bruh as well.

vialli100
Forerunner

3dfx Voodoo too...

Was only thinking about my early GPU's a few days ago...

Went to ATI with Mach 64, then most of the Rage cards.. 

Always been ATI/AMD GPU's and CPU's...

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
afward
Adept I

Not exactly a GPU, but my Hercules graphics adapter was way higher res than the competing CGA card at the time. And with SimCGA I could still play all the games 🙂

After that my first actual graphics card was ATI (but I can't remember exactly which model)

XelaVo581
Adept II

5700xt

Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts

I think my first GPU was AMD Rage II but not certain. it was a long time ago and it was the first computer I built myself. 

tenzo23
Elite

I remember saving up my money to get a Diamond Monster 3Dfx Voodoo2 and Diamond Viper V330 combo. It was my first real PC gaming setup. The early Voodoos were "3D accelerator" add on cards so they had that pass-through dongle cable you connected to your primary video card. I think I only had 2 games that took advantage of 3Dfx but I was amazed by the difference in visual quality. I remember playing Need for Speed II SE with 3Dfx and it made it look so smooth with anti-aliasing and when it looked like rain was hitting my screen, I thought Wow, how cool!

/sig Fun guy.

I had 2x voodoo2 cards in sli! I sold those to a buddy and got one of the voodoo3 cards. I worked my butt off for computer parts! Finally, I was jamming on a 21" Sony Trinitron 85hz  + Half-Life/Counter-strike 1.6,  Quake III Arena  and Team Fortress Classic. Man, the nostalgia.

My first PC was a Phillips desktop, came with a massive (at that time) 3GB hard drive, was told that I would never use that amount of space and an exceptional 64Mb ram, complete with a 14" B & W monitor and had Win 95 installed. Win updates were fun, could take several hours to download updates, these could be just 50 Mb downloads, of course, if you had the internet turned on, you could not use the phone, took a few years before we got a dedicated  line for internet, and everything was so slow, you youngsters today don't realize what my generation went through to give you what you have today, my iphone can do nearly as much as my present PC, but the phone cost more

AMD Ryzan 5 3600, Asus GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics (522.30), Asus Prime B550M-A LGA 1200 mATX Motherboard, (BIOS 2003) Cooler Master MWE White 230v 550W 80+ V2 Power,500GB SSD, 16GB DDR4 Ram, 2TB HDD, 32inch Phillips 1920 x 1080 Monitor, Samsung 28 inch 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor. Win 10 21Hl, Build 19043.11466

Unsure what my parents had as a kid but my first CPU/GPU I bought for myself was an FX8320 and MSI R5 2700, which immediately got replaced with a R9 380 lol I bought prebuilt because I was so new to PC gaming.

Yeah sure,  Cirrus Logic 5446,  16 bit ISA slot, 2mb of ram.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Radeon RX 7800 XT, MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE Wi-Fi, 64 GB DDR4.
0 Likes
Chotch
Adept II

I want to say some voodoo card but i dont remember specifics. Something in the late 90's/early 2000's.

drpluto
Adept III

Ati rage 128 agp 

Likebrews
Adept II

Like one other here, I think my first discrete video GPU was a Voodoo 3DFX. Think it was in a 386. Now driving a 8GB RX580 on R7 2700.

AMD Ryzen R7 2700X on MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 64GB Corsair RGBPro RAM MSI Armor 8GB RX580 WD NV750 Black Creative xFi Fatality 7.1 Twin MSI Optix MAG27322CQR
m888
Adept I

XFX R7 250... Happy to be running a 6800XT midnight now! Thought this post would make us feel old? mission accomplished 😁

tolcheen
Adept II

Geez, I want to say an S3trio64 if I don't count the 386.

hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Nvidia Riva TNT was my first real GPU.

RansomEOlds
Adept I

Not sure of the GPU but the CPU was a Pentium 133. My brother built the computer for me in 1995.

lowteck
Miniboss

1280px-KL_Diamond_Monster3D_Voodoo_1.jpg

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
German_AC
Adept II

Diamond Stealth III, with the S3 Savage chip. 

x.jpg

Artificial intelligence is no match for human stupidity.

After seeing this, I do recall getting some sort of Diamond Stealth in the 90s.