cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

deyelive
Adept II

FrostPunk Review

Thanks to @Amber_AMD for the recommendation! Also my review / experience wouldn't have been possible without https://community.amd.com/t5/contests-and-sweeps/11-bit-studios-amd-frostpunk-custom-pc-giveaway/m-p...

FrostPunk is a survival strategy game set in a frozen wasteland, where you must lead and provide hope for a group of survivors while building and managing a city to keep them from being consumed by the tundra. Being from The Great White North and specifically Winterpeg, I felt I had the experience and call to duty to immerse myself into this responsibility. The game is challenging and intense, but it also has moments of great beauty and hope.

I have to admit, I didn’t get things perfect on my first try, but such is life. After countless hours of hard work, strategic planning, and tough decision-making, my city was finally thriving. The steam engines were running smoothly, the people were warm, and the food was abundant. I remember feeling overwhelmed with pride, as I watched the sun rise over the city, illuminating its glory.

My favourite moment in Frostpunk came during one of the game's most difficult scenarios, where a cold snap unlike anything we’d seen before had struck the city, and resources were running low. My citizens were huddled around their fires and our shelters, trying to stay warm, and food and coal supplies were dwindling rapidly. It was a bleak and desperate situation, and I wasn't sure how much longer we could hold on, even after all the combined decisions I’d made along with our shared work to cultivate hope in our city.

Then, something unexpected happened. A group of refugees arrived at our city gates, seeking shelter from the freezing cold. They were sick and hungry, and we didn't have enough resources to sustain our own population, let alone newcomers. I was faced with a difficult decision...turn them away and let them freeze to death, or take them in and risk the lives of my own people. I agonized over this decision for a while, fearing our city would tear itself apart at the seams while being stretched too thin. In the end, I decided to take a chance and let the refugees in. It was a risky move, but I couldn't turn away people in need. The next morning, something incredible happened. The refugees had banded together with our own citizens and had started to build makeshift shelters and gather resources. They were working alongside us, not against us, and their presence had given us a renewed sense of purpose and hope.

As the days went on, the weather improved and our food and coal supplies began to recover. The refugees had become an integral part of our community, and I felt a deep sense of gratitude and pride for the way we had all come together in the face of such adversity. Looking back on that moment now, I am struck by the way that Frostpunk captures the essence of human resilience and compassion. In the game, as in life, there are no easy answers or perfect solutions. It represents the possibility of hope and survival in a world that seems devoid of both and by working together and supporting one another, we can overcome even in the direst of circumstances.

In conclusion, it is a testament to the power of art (games) to inspire and uplift us, even in the darkest of times. FrostPunk is a game that captures the essence of Canada, with its frozen wastelands, harsh winters, and unwavering spirit. It provides an opportunity to celebrate the power of hard work, determination, and community. If you're looking for a game that will challenge you and leave you with a sense of pride, then FrostPunk is the perfect game for you, eh!

1 Reply
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

(me reading your review)(me reading your review)

Wow! This is one of the best, and most in-depth reviews I've read in a while. You should've written for the last season of Game of Thrones. 🤣

Really though, you have an incredible way with words, and I hope more people read your thoughts on the game because you've just convinced me to play it, too!