cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mclingo
Challenger

two full generations of cards and still no fix for raised blacks & hardware interlacing

two full generations of cards and still no fix for raised blacks & hardware interlacing

• Hardware deinterlacing is broken in every driver version -> It is poor quality when applied to
interlaced video and it is not adaptive anymore, which is a NO-GO for HTPC usage.

• Color levels (full 0-255 vs. limited 16-235) are broken. That means limited 16-235 which is the
standard range for videos are interpreted as 0-255 and this leads to elevated blacks and dimm
whites.

This issue can be best seen on displays which want full range 0-255, like TVs in PC Mode (PC
mode for full 4:4:4/RGB support, so you do not use color subsampling like 4:2:2 or 4:2:0)
Also overriding the range for test purposes in MPC-BE (video tab -> Output range) does not
take effect.

These affect all RX5000 & 6000 cards only.

1 Reply
MLegend
Journeyman III

Hey, I recently switched from a 1070ti to a 6700xt and noticed this same issue with video RGB range. However, after updating to the newest driver (23.5.1), the video RGB range looks correct now. I haven't tested this with 10-bit pixel format enabled yet, but the video RGB range seems to be fixed with default settings (10-bit pixel format disabled/dithering enabled, default video profile) regardless if it is RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4.

I haven't noticed the deinterlacing issue you're referring to, but DVDs seem to be playing in 24p with proper pacing with this driver.

If you still own an AMD gpu and are still having these issues, I would highly recommend trying out this driver and testing it to see if it fixed these issues for you. Let me know if it does or does not fix the issues.

0 Likes