cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hubwood
Adept I

Newest Radeon Adrenalin update brakes MSI Alpha 15 A3DD completely!

This information will be posted to MSI and AMD.

Today I recieved a brand new MSI Alpha 15 A3DD (120Hz Monitor) with a RX5500m.
When trying to update the Display driver to the newest version available from AMD (after running all windows updates first), the Laptop didn't boot into windows anymore, and the only thing that helped was to FACTORY reset it!
Not even using the automatically created restored point worked anymore.

After that I tried to install the new drivers BEFORE updating windows. Same result. But this time, I made a manual restore point which I could succesfully use after it didn't boot up into windows anymore. (Causes Blue Screens of Death)

Version I tried to install: Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1 from ( released 02. December / 2019).
Version it says is installed: 19.30.31.01 (sounds higher than the one I downloaded, I know... ?)

Just wanted to inform you and see if others have the same problem.
I mean, this is the ONLY available laptop with a rx5500m as of today.

132 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Newest Radeon Adrenalin update brakes MSI Alpha 15 A3DD completely!

Maybe you are trying to install the wrong driver for your APU > Laptop graphics update...How to 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-7-mobile-processors-radeon-rx-vega... 

Release Notes

Important Note for Laptop and All-In-One (AIO) PCs

AMD recommends OEM-provided drivers which are customized and validated for their system-specific features and optimizations.

If you experience issues using the Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition driver package downloaded from AMD.com, please install the OEM-provided drivers for full support and compatibility.

qwixt
Forerunner

Laptops can be finicky beasts when it comes to drivers. As a consumer, you don't know how much custom work was done. Use the MSI drivers for the laptop only. Read the cautionary note in kingfish's post. It's there for a reason.

hubwood
Adept I

Unfortunately this leads to the excact same driver version. With the same result
The MSI Alpha 15 is just useless right now.
I've tested it for a youtube video on my channel. Will send it back. Great Dissapointment
Many Games run WAY slower than they should. Or not at all.
Heavy Crashes / Freezes in daily usage aswell.

AMD/MSI have to fix alot with this laptop. (The 120Hz / 8GB Version at least, I'll give the better model another chance)

0 Likes
pseudo555
Adept III

Same here on same laptop.

I try to use custom installtation, and it seems, the HDMI/audio part is doing this issue, as i specify not to install the graphic driver.

Installting only the catalyst settings works fine.

This BSOD is really a pain in the *** as it appears even in safe mode.

I also got a BSOD while asking windows to reset itselft (without keeping my files).

Only reset to msi factory setting solve that issue (as i didn't create a restauration point).

0 Likes
pseudo555
Adept III

I just try to install only display driver & new control center and it works. Issue is with the audio part as i suspected.

0 Likes
pseudo555
Adept III

Just install the adrenalin 2020 edition (over w10 x64 1909 up to date before install), no BSOD.

0 Likes
bryanreginald
Adept I

Any updates? My alpha 15 freezes most of the time even with right clicking the mouse only. Doing a fast forward on movies also freezes the laptop. Browsing with chrome often gets a not responding notice. Please help. Thanks!

pseudo555
Adept III

I installed Adrenalin 2020.1.2 without issue on that laptop.

I still get BSOD from time to time, for no peculiar reason. I did the same as i used to be on my 10 years old previous laptop, with the same softwares and OS.

In my case, the BSOD come with error code 0xA0000006 which as no signifacation from microsoft stopcode page.

Windows' system event log said (sorry, it's in french):

"L’ordinateur a redémarré après une vérification d’erreur. La vérification d’erreur était : 0xa0000006 (0x0000000000000040, 0x0000000000000004, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). "

Expect catalyst driver(2020.2.1 was just published), everything else is up-to date.

I also got same BSOD during windows reset from scratch (not using msi recovery feature).

I don't think AMD can solve the issue, as i'm not sure it comes from the GPU/CPU part.

As previous catalyst driver (the one from 2019 branches) crashes during the audio installation (there is an amd hdmi sound driver installation in thoses version), i'm wondering if the issue doesn't come from nahimic/realtek.

Anyhow i didn't find anything on MSI forum last time i checked.

Note: on guru3d's forum, another user report issue with hardware acceleration in chrome :

Hardware Acceleration in Chrome | guru3D Forums 

And strangely enough, audio part seems to be the issue as well...

bryanreginald
Adept I

Thanks for the information.

0 Likes