cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ErikaRam
Adept II

New laptop drivers constantly messing up

Hey new laptop MSI 6700M that I just got last year and ever since getting it it has had constant driver errors it's always the same one and I can't upgrade it because the moment I do it just rewrites it with the old one for some reason for windows update. The windows one is from 9 of last year and has constantly had issues. It causes black screen of death moments and other things. It also for some reason installs then the AMD system itself i can't open unless I download a whole new upgraded version because it says that the driver and the thing don't match even though it literally just updated it.

And as above I can't even download the new one cause it downloads the old one causes blue screen cause it gives me the very old version of AMD (Not adren)

0 Likes
1 Solution
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Use the drivers provided by your laptop manufacturer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies

What model laptop....MSI 6700M is not a laptop model.

What processor or APU

What OS

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/information-required-when-posting-a-discussion/ta-p/4227...

Laptops update different than desktop graphics. If you can't answer these questions...take your computer to a professional and pay to have it updated.

Information Required When Posting a Discussion

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • Radeon VII
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • If a laptop, Make and Model of the Laptop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1909 Build
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 20.10.1
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 5 5600X

Windows 10 22h2 build 64 bit
Driver version is: Radeon Software (Don't have Adrenaline) 30.0.13024.4
Laptop Mod is: Delta15001
AMD Graphics card is: AMD Radeon RX 6700M
CPU Is: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Use the drivers provided by your laptop manufacturer.

0 Likes

I would but I literally can't use the one they give me because it won't let me open the system it comes with as it says the drivers don't match. So I can't change any of the AMD settings and the one they gave me isn't even recent as it is from 9 of last year.

0 Likes
novalestic
Adept II

Maybe you meant MSI Delta 15

"rewrites it with the old one for some reason for windows update"

well, try to disable it with

sysdm.cpl

novalestic_0-1669163725491.png

on "hardware" tab

novalestic_1-1669163758695.png

choose "device installation setting"

novalestic_2-1669163795479.png

select "No", there will be warning but save change it anyway.

- go to safe mode

- install the proper driver

you might want to uninstall all the driver first but i suggest you download all the necessary drivers before that.

maybe you will have better luck than mine, i had the exact same problem the first time i bought my laptop as it crash randomly (but not so frequent), but the last windows update really punch that ticket as now my graphic driver always replaced with windows driver and it crashes with amd driver, i had to force it to shutdown (by holding down power button, not from windows menu) and 80% or the time it will be fixed, but the moment i turned it off and poof, it happen again after i restarted it. i found it annoying that i had to resort to this cave man solution to fix pretty much expensive device (turning off by holding power button shouldn't be the solution but it the only solution that's works for this device!). Also, the moment i put my laptop to sleep, the driver crashes. So yeah, cool stuff microsoft.

0 Likes

How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Update

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/how-to-stop-updates-for-drivers-with-windows-update...

Lots of people don't like the idea of 'stopping/delaying' Windows updates. I won't get in to that. Here is a way to prevent Windows Update installing any drivers. This does not effect the security, quality, patch, or any other type update...they are presented as normal.

In short...you don't have to worry about WU installing (changing) AMD graphics drivers.

This is done through group policy:

Type gpedit in the search bar...follow > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

kingfish_0-1669168095325.png

On the right side scroll to Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy and double click it. Select the ENABLED option.

kingfish_1-1669168095581.png

Click 'Apply' then OK.

Reboot your computer.

Yeah mine is delta 15 as well and it does the same exact thing 16000 dollar laptop and has constantly been doing this. What I can tell it seems to only be this one driver for some reason I don't understand why that is.

0 Likes

Yeah, my gpu driver just stop working and revert to onboard graphic, it was HP Omen 16, i mean, what is the point of me buying gaming laptop, and can't even use it for gaming. I feel like i just blew couple thousand of dollar for a joke. I don't know whether this was windows issues or amd driver having a hissy fit moment, but im certainly disappointed. I dont want to be hassle to tweaking here and there, we paid good money for these hardware it should work. Certainly left a bitter taste in my mouth, should have get the RTX 2060 one instead of RX 6600M, dammit

0 Likes

I feel the same to be honest and yeah I stopped trying to fix it and just accepted it's either Windows downloading a driver that doesn't even exist or that it's my drivers messing up in general. Gonna maybe try to buy a NVIDIA instead next time so it doesn't install the driver anymore from AMD.

"it's either Windows downloading a driver that doesn't even exist or that it's my drivers messing up in general"

I had tried the mod suggestion to turn off WU and literally disable it from registry, uninstall all the AMD Graphic drivers with DDU and it literally work until i restart my laptop , now either the OS gain consciousness and tried to fck me over every time or it's simply a driver issues that AMD just don't want to acknowledge it , judging from what i saw in couple of forum, the driver issues seems accepted as "normal" if you bought Ati/Radeon and AMD stuff.

0 Likes