cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Danimal
Journeyman III

New hard drives cause pc to crash/not boot when RAIDXpert2 settings are enabled

The problem that I am having is that I can only get the RAIDXpert2 menu to appear in the bios when my new drives are not connected, as when the drives are connected the PC will freeze/crash on the bios spash screen.

I can get the PC to boot with the drives connected but to do that I have to change the 'Boot from storage devices' option to Legacy or Ignore (within CSM 'Compatibility Support Module'), but by doing that, the RAIDXpert2 menu will then not appear. The trouble appears to be caused by having UEFI selected under 'Boot from storage devices' or by setting CSM to 'disable'.

I use an m.2 for my OS and 2x mechanical hard drives in raid 1 for other storage. One of my hdd's failed so I removed them both and replaced them with two new Toshiba drives (x300 4tb). Using all the same bios settings from before results in the freeze/crash on the bios splash screen. I have initialised and formatted both drives within Disk Management and both are GUID Partition Table (GPT).

Within Windows, I can get the drives to appear in the RAIDXpert2 software (through booting storage as Legacy or ignore) but I am unable to create an array there as they don't appear after clicking 'create'.

I've spent a couple of days googling and testing and now I'm all out of ideas, - Any suggestions or ideas would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance,

Danimal.

3900x, Asus x570 Crosshair Hero 8 (Wifi), 2x Toshiba x300 4tb, Windows installed on an MP600 1tb.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Danimal
Journeyman III

I'll leave the question up in case anyone may find it helpful, but I've since discovered that my PC wasn't freezing or crashing at all. It turns out the POST time had just dramatically increased to a few minutes, and I didn't know that could happen so I was powering down the PC before it had a chance to boot.

Anyway, selecting the 'Boot from storage devices' option does resolve this, however, in all the mobo manuals and RaidXpert2 documentation I have read so far, everything thing tells me to disable CSM entirely so I still don't really know what's going on. Or why the PC is happy with it enabled.

RAIDXpert2 now appears in the bios (?) when before it didn't, and I have now successfully created a raid in windows using RaidXpert2. I attempted to do this within the BIOS and while it told me it was successful, the drives needed initialising again when I booted to windows.

The bottom line is that I have resolved the issue that I was having, but I don't really understand how. Click enough buttons and something will happen, I guess.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Danimal
Journeyman III

I'll leave the question up in case anyone may find it helpful, but I've since discovered that my PC wasn't freezing or crashing at all. It turns out the POST time had just dramatically increased to a few minutes, and I didn't know that could happen so I was powering down the PC before it had a chance to boot.

Anyway, selecting the 'Boot from storage devices' option does resolve this, however, in all the mobo manuals and RaidXpert2 documentation I have read so far, everything thing tells me to disable CSM entirely so I still don't really know what's going on. Or why the PC is happy with it enabled.

RAIDXpert2 now appears in the bios (?) when before it didn't, and I have now successfully created a raid in windows using RaidXpert2. I attempted to do this within the BIOS and while it told me it was successful, the drives needed initialising again when I booted to windows.

The bottom line is that I have resolved the issue that I was having, but I don't really understand how. Click enough buttons and something will happen, I guess.

0 Likes