cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

FcB-ZaRe
Adept II

Missing shader cache folders since 23.3.2, RX 570

As the title says with all 2023 drivers i get a problem with the shader cache folders, they are missing and wont create. 
I started to notice it with drivers 23.3.2 where oglcache (opengl cache) and vkcache (vulkan cache) folders were missing.
Today i tried drivers 23.8.2 and 23.11.1 for seeing if i can finally leave the 22.11.2 ones and now the dxccache (dx12 cache) has disappeared too, now only the dxcache one remains, so with the newer ones is still worst.
This issue is causing that the games are unable to compile and store the shaders unless the game has an own folder for it like hogwarts legacy for example, causing extremely long loading times and big sutters that will never stop because the shaders are not compiled and stored. Has been a nightmare trying to play Robocop today.

I posted some months ago a topic warning about it but they didnt fix it, still managed to make it worst.

oglcache and vkcache folders missing on 23.3.2 - AMD Community

Well as you can imagine i always install new drivers using amd cleanup or DDU so is not my fault and all pre 2023 drivers create perfectly all the cache folders. The bugs on polaris drivers are ridiculous for such a well known architecture for amd devs. FIX IT PLEASE.

Shader cache folder should be at users/your user/appdata/local/amd

0 Likes
10 Replies
FcB-ZaRe
Adept II

Can somebody with a polaris card say if he has or not this folders with recent drivers, please?

0 Likes
FcB-ZaRe
Adept II

0 Likes
relampago
Adept I

During the weekend I will check if I also have the problem. But serious drivers for Polaris stopped at 21xxx...
can you check if the rx570 suffer from the clocks problem in recent drivers:
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/rx-580-clock-speeds-jumping-to-1300mhz-while-idling-ev...

0 Likes

Yes, my gpu does the clock spikes too but i wrote a temporal solution on that topic

0 Likes
FcB-ZaRe
Adept II

I found what is causing the issues, the installer or the driver itself has issues with windows user names that contain an special character, my user name contains an accented vowel. I dunno how but driver devs have broken UTF-8 Unicode support for the folder routes. Older drivers worked just fine.

I tested it activating on windows an option that allows UTF-8 Unicode compatibility for languages in the world, this option is on control panel>region>administrative tab>change regional system configuration.
While it works for this case makes some programs unable to boot, maybe because its still on beta.
Creating a new user without special characters in the name is the only complete fix (i tested it successfully) but for me is a pain because i have a lot of programs that are associated to my user, loooots of savegames associated to my user and some developing tools that need a lot of configuration associated to my user too.

Now that you know what is wrong i think that it shouldnt be difficult to fix and the behaviour is very easy to reproduce, just create an user with an accented vowel on the name and you will see that the shader cache folders are not created.

Please fix it because im very sure that im not the only one with this issues because there are a lot of countries out there that use special characters on their grammar. Thanks. 

@Matt_AMD do your magic please

FcB-ZaRe
Adept II

New driver 24.1.1 still has the same issue, vkcache, dxccache and oglcache folders missing... I cant use any driver newer than 22.11.2 because all have the same stupid problem. Are you going to fix it please?

0 Likes
peruka93
Staff

It's a known issue and fix is under way

Unfortunately AMD only fixed it for RDNA gpus, for polaris and vega is still in the known issues list... I tried the new driver with my RX 570 and is still broken. Also theres not a target date for the fix like it was for RDNA gpus. What a pity

0 Likes

Fix for Vega & Polaris is ready internally and it will be included in future driver release.

0 Likes

Hello, any update on this? There are no driver updates for polaris since 24.3.1 version...

0 Likes