cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ADyingGod
Adept I

Fallout 3 & New Vegas Crashes on 24.1.1

I'm unable to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I can't even load a save or start a new game. Instant crash to desktop and removing all the mods, tweaks, INI settings or having the game in its vanilla state doesn't seem to have any effect. Rolling back to previous version solves the problem but I don't plan to stick with older drivers just to play a 13 years old game. Any solution to this problem in the next release would be appreciated. I have a 6750 XT. I'm enjoying to overall experience but these minor things adds up.

121 Replies
ericthener
Journeyman III

so will they fix this or not?

Who the F knows its Amd they dont give a crap

Coffeequest
Journeyman III

I am bumping everyone to help request an AMD fix. I may try the mod route, but I really would much prefer a native fix.

kewee
Adept I

Having the same problem here with 24.3.1 and Fallout 3 and NV

Nick_15607
Adept I

No acknowledgment from AMD and it’s been this long is ridiculous. Should’ve gone Nvidia with my new build. 

4xRED
Adept I

How did they break a 14y old game lmao. 

0 Likes
Nazrex
Adept I

Same problem.   Been having this issue for almost a year now!

Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4 fails to launch with a Radeon RX 7800XT.  They launch, with an older Radeon RX 580.

Skyrim Anniversary Edition, also launches with both... 

Fallout 4, being the newest of each... should at the very least launch without issues, but it instead immediately crashes to desktop as soon as you attempt to launch it.

Fallout TV show making more people want to play these older Games but they dont work!  

I tried DVXK like others suggest but this also does not work!

When is AMD going to fix this!   

Nazrex
Adept I

Maybe more people need to use the Bug Report Tool for this, on the Adrenaline software!

I don't think many people know about it, cause AMD keeps it hidden.  Click the GEAR icon, is in there; left side, second to bottom.. click on "launch bug report tool" !

We need to FLOOD THEM with BUG REPORTS on this!  Maybe that will get AMD's attention!

Waedynd
Journeyman III

I am also having the same problems. I'm running Windows 11 with a 6800 XT. Have no problems with any other games except for fallout New Vegas. I hope AMD is looking into a fix for this. 

0 Likes
josh34583
Adept I

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas still do not work on the new 24.4.1 update. It is not even listed under known issues.

ImDeadSpace
Adept I

Absolutely wild this hasn't been even noted as an issue in the recent update. Imagine screwing up an iconic series from over a decade ago right when the hyped TV show drops and cucking everyone from being able to play for months now. I guess don't forget to use the bug report tool, maybe if you do they'll fix it in 7 months from now. 

Not even acknowledged in the known issues, thanks AMD :). Whatever atp I'm just going to try the DXVK fix that seems to be the most consistent solution for others. Make sure you keep on that bug report tool!

alex25
Journeyman III

I have the same issue

Game loads ( new Vegas and 3) press new game, load or continue game loads for a second then crashes

absolutely wild they did not fix this in this update, AND on the same day fallout 4 got its next gen update? feels like an insult to us not gonna lie

sevenmod
Adept I

Not fixed or even mentioned in the ’Known Issues’ section of the latest drivers 24.4.1…

aggietallboy
Adept I

Problem still here in 24.4.1

LOOKS like replacing the D3D9.DLL  from here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/62391?tab=files

WORKS

I use the R9 file and I'm able to at least get to character creation on the new game, whereas without it, I crash back to desktop as soon as it cuts over from loading screen to active gameplay.

0 Likes
sick111one
Journeyman III

Had the same issue, no mods, tried to play my copy I got free from Epic Games Store, I played it within the past year and had no issues.  I ended up rolling back to the December 2023 firmware update for the AMD Adrenaline Software.  v23.12.1 fixes the issue, hopefully a new update will fix this issue because I highly doubt the Fallout series is the only game having issues with the latest series of updates.  Even the Xbox PC Game Pass version was crashing because of these bad drivers.

pcb66
Journeyman III

When my Fallout 3 began to break, I tried many things. The only one that worked was to uninstall AMD Adrenalin and run it with compatibility for Windows 8.

God knows why it worked, because I just reinstalled AMD Adrenalin and the CTD came back.

pumpkinfarm77
Journeyman III

Just finished the show like many others here. Welp.... i guess Fallout 4 will have to do for now.

This is the first time I've ever dealt with a driver issue for an old game LOL

Nick_15607
Adept I

This long and no fix from Amd is unbelievable. Not even a comment on it either. Bought a 7900 XT for the VRAM, I really should've waited for the 4070 ti

Beans1
Journeyman III

AMD what are you poeple doing, fix the issue, its been months, this is ridiculous, i knew amd had a reputation for crappy drivers but i didnt think you could break a 14 year old game and then just sit on your hands for months doing nothing.

Dad
Adept I

I found a fix for this on 24.x.x drivers. I know some other people said it before but they didn't really say how to do it, just named what to do.
Follow this guide here.

https://performance.moddinglinked.com/falloutnv.html#Introduction

I will explain why the games are broke, why some fixes work, and why this one is best, along with telling you which sections of this guide are relevant to fixing this problem. Because once I understood why this was happening, it was easier to apply the fix.

First off, the games are broken because the 24.x.x drivers somehow broke the DX9 rendering in these games. It is just a software bug, which is why "fixes" like the "Intel Bypass" that include d3d9.dll fix it. As it is tricking the game into thinking you have a completely different GPU. The problem with this is that the performance on Fallout 3/NV and how the games behave/handle loads are dependent and tied directly to the GPU. So tricking your game into thinking your 7900xtx is a 7900gs will cause performance issues. Sure it worked and got them past the load screen, but to me it was unplayable and choppy.
The best fix is using DXVK. I know others said it. But you have to follow certain steps from that guide or the fix won't work, which is why I'm trying to be so thorough. So like I said before, when you have some semblance of understanding the problem, it makes it much easier to understand the solution.
DXVK is software that converts your DX9 into Vulkan. So no more DX9... no more problem.
You just have to be sure to use it on windowed mode and download onetweak. Once in windowed mode it will be smooth.

Go to FNV guide linked above. (WARNING: IF THIS IS A FRESH INSTALL, BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR MOD MANAGER BEFORE DOWNLOADING/MANUALLY APPLYING MODS)

Download and install the mods in the "Engine Optimization" Section. Download all mods/files needed for these as well. Such as NVSE,etc. Nexus will make this process straightforward for you.
Download and install "New Vegas Tick Fix".
Download and install "DXVK" Follow steps to force windowed mode (Those above 1080p resolution will have to manually set windowed resolution to their native. If you can't find the .ini where your Fallout exe is located, make sure to check your "My Games" folder as well, sometimes this will store saves and ini files separate from the EXE.)
Once your windowed mode is right.
Download onetweak or equivalent mod to make it look like fullscreen.

ALMOST FORGOT. FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO PLAY FO3, I'M FAIRLY CERTAIN THAT DXVK WOULD ALSO WORK ON THAT BUT POSSIBLY NOT AS SMOOTH. IF THIS IS THE CASE AND IT ISN'T AS SMOOTH, YOU CAN DOWNLOAD "TALES OF TWO WASTELANDS" MOD WHICH COMBINES FALLOUT 3 INTO NEW VEGAS. SO YOU CAN LAUNCH BOTH GAMES FROM ONE LAUNCHER ON NEW VEGAS ENGINE. MEANING THAT FALLOUT 3 WILL NOW BE PLAYED ON NEW VEGAS' ENGINE AND WILL GET THE SAME PERFORMANCE THAT NEW VEGAS GETS FROM THESE FIXES.

I know it's  a lot, but I really hope this helps even 1 person get their game working. This is all honestly unacceptable considering it's been 5 months and they knew the show was coming which would drive sales of old Fallout games. Only for AMD users to be punished for having a flagship AMD card that's up to date on drivers.
Aside from someone who is penny pinching and only plays e-sports. I will never be able to recommend AMD to someone in good faith ever again.

Thank you for such a thorough reply and explanation!

Ravayak
Adept I

It's definitely not a fix and it's already posted here.

Yes, you can launch the game with DXVK but two major issues:

• No shader compilation on Windows with Vulkan, so it stutters like hell, and if you use Async mode, all stutters are replaced by flickering objects.

• Fallout NV crashes at 3840x2160 when windowed, so for 4K users, it's screwed.

The second "viable" option is to roll back drivers prior to version 24. However, Transparent MSAA is broken on that driver, so no antialiasing is applied on any transparent object (vegetation, grass, broken windows, and smoke).

So, you've spent more than $1000 to buy the top-notch GPU that AMD has to offer, and you need to deal with stupid workarounds just to launch a DX9 game.

Screw AMD! It's not acceptable; this problem is more than a year old!!!

Thinking of going back to Nvidia and never looking back.

To AMD, you're the only one responsible for your bad reputation. Ten years with a low-range Nvidia card and never one problem like this...

AMD has disappointed us big time. I am seriously thinking in selling my 7800XT to get a RTX 4070 perhaps.

You can compile on Windows with Vulkan... just only on Nvidia. Lol... Waiting another generation or two and I'll be buying team green from now on. After literally only ever buying AMD my entire life.

0 Likes
nnagrom
Journeyman III

Been following this topic for several weeks now. Why can't this game be played in 2024? Furthermore, how is my XBOX a better gaming experience than my MF PC ATM? ....just trying to get into a game of caravan mans

philthy780
Journeyman III

Still has not been fixed - I will submit a bug report.

Carcosa2049
Journeyman III

Incredibly disappointing lack of response from AMD  

Carolinafrog
Journeyman III

same! #Annoyed

francescociccia
Journeyman III

It's crazy how a company like AMD, in its increasingly precarious market conditions, completely ignores fixing a bug they caused on two major games like Fallout, which have also seen a huge increase in players thanks to the TV series. These players are simply being cut off, and we're talking about a significant portion of the user base. It's extremely serious that this bug has been repeatedly reported by users for several months and that the series was also announced months ago. Unfortunately, it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend the company...

Nazrex
Adept I

New Driver released... Problem not fixed.

BUT!

Its in the Release Notes that both these Games "may" fail to launch.

I checked the Release Notes of the previous three Drivers, and its NOT listed in any of those.

So at least AMD is now acknowledging that yes its an issue, and hopefully they're looking into it.

We need to keep hammering them with this!

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

@Wally_AMD I have been dealing with this as well. I do believe it is an AMD issue. I can't say for sure but I really hope this is looked into. Currently I have used a work around by using a D3D9.dll from Nexus mods, but the game is still really unstable. This is with up to date drivers. 24.4.1

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
dzine4c
Adept I

Same here man!!

Rezuructor
Journeyman III

After over 3 hours of searching I finally found something that worked.  I was playing fine on my Rog ally up until recently when I tried to boot up the game and it kicked me out after about 2 seconds of starting a new game. All the links to mods that fixed the crashing did not work until I stumbled upon this one; https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/17209 . Basically same instructions,  download,  extract,  paste onto the file directory.  That seemed to work for me, both fallout 3 and NV had the same issue but after doing those steps for both I have not had any issues since and yesss it runs buttery smooth. Sucks that we have to go through all of these hoops to play but we are at the mercy of AMD until they decide to fix this.  I hope this helps !

0 Likes

It's definitely not a fix and it's already posted here.

0v3rkill
Adept III

i hate that they never care about older games when most of pc gamers love playing older games. Don't ruin older games. Care for the new and old the same. . .

Angrolight
Journeyman III

CURRENT FIX

Same problem. After updating to the new driver  Fallout 3 and NV don't work.

I've had this problem all week trying to figure out how to at least get past the scrolling wheel during a new game.

Before I started this, I went for a fresh download, deleting everything. All Fallout NV files, including the ones in

%localappdata% . Went to steam, started the download. After downloading went to verify game files. Everytime I ran it, there's one file that needs to be redownloaded, but doesn't. Go to the Download settings in steam. DELETE THE CACHE. It works still currently, no bugs. Not sure about mods nor Fallout 3 but that's the next test, and at least I can wake up to the Doc finally. I hope this helps guys!!!

0 Likes
kewee
Adept I

24.5.1 still doesn't work - but in the Release Notes under known issues now says
* Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas may fail to launch. [Hotfix pending verification]

gives me hope a hotfix is in the works...

It now says:

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas may fail to launch.[Resolution targeted for 24.6.1]

So next driver most probably.