cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bigdrago
Journeyman III

Re: 18.4.1 broke my windows

Guess I have to wait then. I really hope that the computer doesnt autostart the update!

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

just disable or postpone the update. you can easily pause them by going to... Settings > Updates & Security > windows update in there go to Advanced Options, then turn on "Pause Updates" even if their downloaded and ready to install this will even pause the one's needed to restart the PC to complete. can look up how to do it a different way so it's longer than 35 days, but have to keep in the back of your head you have that on lol.

0 Likes

Load of problems with this build. I'm not installing anymore drivers until MS starts issuing fixes. Some people say you have to disable hardware accelerations

0 Likes
joecrow
Elite

Based on this and other posts in this forum it certainly seems there can be severe problems with the 1803 update. From personal experience of updating 2 PCs both AMD CPUs (FX 8350 & 4300) with RX460 and RX570 resp. I have had only positive results. Playback of 3D bluray disks in 3D with Cyberlink PowerDVD 18 & 15 did not work with 1709 but sprang back into life with 1803, subjective but I think the color is better and sleep and resume problems have gone away. On one PC I had already updated the GPU driver to 18.4.1 prior to the 1803 update and on the other I updated to 1803 with the GPU at 18.2.1. In both cases everything went fine and I have subsequently updated the 18.2.1 to the 18.4.1 again without problems.

HOWEVER:-

I did notice a couple of things with the update perhaps could cause problems in some circumstances/configs.

Following the update to 1803 I noticed that the "Turn on Fast Startup" setting in the Windows Power Setup was now checked (enabled) this was known to cause problems with the 1709 update and it had been disabled. I have subsequently disabled it again.

After the 1803  update my Radeon settings had changed, about the only thing I change from default is the "Pixel Format" to RGB but this had changed back to the default YBCr maybe other settings would have been reset to default too.

English, there have been several recommendations here suggesting this problem does not happen if the OS display language is English, certainly that's my default and I am aware that there have been problems with the Language packs being no longer available for 1709 builds. Not sure if that could cause the problem but maybe.

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

well, at least you've had a good experience with it lol. yeah there are some who don't get any problems with the 1803 update. but so far i haven't been able to pinpoint why that is even when some people have similar builds to even what i have(except newer GPU's and different RAM, MOBO SSD/HDD). idk, did a lot of testing on my end and posted everything on my post. but the one that shocked me was a fresh installation of windows didn't fully fix everything(yes, i DO NOT use the windows Recovery built into the settings)... fixed quite a few things but there is still a few things that have stayed. but did do a LOT of searching into this and for one issue i have i literally tried everything including certain BIOS settings and so on. found about...15 different supposed fixes(if not more), finally found the one i did that fixed it but... didn't last for long lol. but it still works for the most part if something happens, just may seem to change. but all the issue's i have found were dating back to people using the preview build update i think either December of last year or the very beginning of this year. was kinda disappointing to see that...

0 Likes