Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Jaslsd
Adept I

AMD cleanup utility

Hey!

I've been running into a problem with the AMD External Events Client Module task. Any time I started a game my monitor lost signal for a short amount of time. Afterwards, while ingame, i keep facing blackscreens and glitch screens (in germany we call the black and white glitchscreen from TV back then "ant football".. it's exactly that).

So I happened to come across the information I could ALT + F4 the glitch screen and prompt also found the Task responsible (AMD Ext.. mentioned above).

Since I cannot use the computer with those complications I decided to run the AMD cleanup utility to reinstall all drivers properly, hoping it would fix my problem.

Now, 2 hours later I still sit in front of my computer (in safe mode) saying the utility is in progress.

It's runtime is estimated to 15-20 minutes. But I am too scared of shutting the computer down, since I've read about many different issues with this software.

Can anyone tell me what to do now?

0 Likes
8 Replies
BigBeard
Adept I

Reboot, install DDU, reboot into safe mode, run DDU, reboot. Reinstall drivers. Cross fingers.

I did, unfortuntely no difference to before.. 

I even had to reinstall multiple times since one time the installation was remarkably broken. 

0 Likes

Sorry to say, but I believe you tried to run the old amd clean up utility.

There are two and I'm not sure if the older one is still supported. The newer one available on the amd website says "AMD Cleanup Utility is designed to remove any previously installed AMD graphics and audio drivers/software found on a system".

The older one however, almost two years old now, is for everything, including chipset drivers and it has only a little icon with "In progress" and can take ages. So, I would stay away from that one to be honest.

That is some good information! Hopefully people will read this before diving in like I did! 

0 Likes

I believe you because I faced the same problem. I could do some temporary fixes but in the end, not even clean installs of Win 10 or Win 11 could fix it. There seems to be an incompatibility between recent Windows updates and recent AMD graphics drivers. If you get a problem, such as blackscreen, there seems to be no real solution at the moment. The question of blame is an open one. Ultimately, I think Microsoft has to take into consideration that a huge number of PCs run on AMD graphics cards. They can't just say it's a matter for AMD to sort out.

I cannot emphasize enough how thankful I am for your answer. 

Finally someone who faces the same problems and has someone to blame (yay it's possibly not me!) 

So.. I can assume it is a known problem in the making of being fixed? Even if I can breathe at ease now, it still is frustrating that the software does not work properly. 

0 Likes
432hz
Adept III

Before proceeding, you may want to backup any important files to a separate drive if you haven’t done so already.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
frankken
Journeyman III

Hi,

I’ve dealt with similar issues before. Here’s what you can do:

Wait a Bit Longer:

Sometimes the cleanup utility can take longer than expected. Give it a little more time, especially if you’re seeing activity (e.g., hard drive light blinking).

Force Shutdown as a Last Resort:

If it’s been hours and there’s no progress, you may need to force a shutdown. Hold down the power button until the computer turns off.

Boot Normally:

Restart your computer in normal mode. If you still have issues, try running the cleanup utility again, but this time from normal mode, not safe mode.

Manual Driver Reinstall:

If the utility still fails, you can manually uninstall AMD drivers. Go to Device Manager, find your graphics card under Display Adapters, right-click, and choose Uninstall. Then, download the latest drivers from the AMD website and install them.

Check for Conflicts:

Make sure no other graphics software (like NVIDIA drivers if you’ve switched GPUs) is conflicting. Uninstall any other graphics drivers if needed.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

0 Likes