Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Brindille
Adept I

AMD Adrenaline Software Will Not Open When Launched with 23.9.2 and 23.9.3

Hello, 

Today I received my new 7800xt graphics card. I had an Nvidia 3070 previously. So I uninstalled Nvidia and all the other software from the company, with the DDU tool so as not to forget anything. I installed my new card and launched the installation of adrenalin version 23.9.1 the drivers are installed correctly since my resolution has changed and my second screen lights up with the desktop (proof that the installation was done correctly ) moreover the software is present in the taskbar but the software whose icon appears disappears once you click on it. Also impossible to launch the software. I tried to reinstall several times with version 23.9.2 but the problem persists and after 5 hours of trying to install my new graphics card I admit that I give up.

If you have a solution or a similar problem I am interested.

3 Solutions
Brindille
Adept I

Hello,

I solve my problem this weekend.

I reset windows and reinstall the 23.9.1 and it's work after that i download in the software the 23.9.2 and still working.

It's a bit hard but it work for me .

Have a good day

View solution in original post

zyxx
Adept II

Hey AMD: FYI the Bug isn't fixed.

Last working Adrenaline Version 23.9.1.

Your Adrenalin Frontend does not start.

Again no mention in Known Bugs section of 23.11.1 (same as 10.x and 9.x).

Please advice how to proceed, or are we supposed to go ahead and give team green a try?

brikulex
Adept I

I don't think that AMD is actually working on fixing this.

However I believe I have found something (at least something that works for me).

As always, I am not responsible for what you do, and if following my guide makes your computer explode, it's not my fault.

I am asking some of you who are affected by this bug and ever had Epic Games Launcher installed to try this:

1. Exit Epic Games Launcher if you have it open (right click it in the notification tray and click Exit)
  2. Open the folder %localappdata%\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved
  3. Rename the Logs folder to something like LogsBackup
  4. Try to open Radeon Software and hope it works

Please respond if it fixed your issue or not, or if you don't even have the EpicGamesLauncher folder.

If I find out it doesn't actually work and it was just a coincidence, I will edit this post to correct it.

Good Luck!

336 Replies
EChase0
Adept I

I've been having this issue for a few weeks now. DDU did not solve the problem. Adrenaline software refuses to open.

This along with persistent game crashes. Even before this, using adrenaline screen capturing would just crash drivers which makes me really miss shadowplay. My friends are starting to make fun of me for trying AMD graphics cards. My 7900 XTX was $1000. This was a huge mistake.

Pedrofranken
Journeyman III

@Matt_AMD: Seems like you guys have given up on us. Is there any status of the issue?

Win 11 (latest update)
5600X
6800 XT

23.9.2, 23.9.3, 23.10.1 and 23.10.2, but still no Adrenaline software. I also tried DDU before installing 23.9.3 and 23.10.2 (23.9.1 and insider V.23.30.01.02 works for me, but I don't know which driver the last one is based on and I kinda want the bug fixes for CS2).

The driver works, but it sure would be nice to get notified when you have a new driver and use the features of the software.

twibr
Adept I

Безымянный.jpg

I updated it a week ago, no problems except the usual for Rockstar)

0 Likes
zyxx
Adept II

Any Updates on this @Matt_AMD ?

I don't want to be rude or ungrateful, but no updates on send Bug Reports for weeks, Radio silence here and not even a mention in the known Bugs section... do not make me confident in AMD.

Have anyone got any response from those bug reports?

Maybe it is time to sell the AMD GPU and buy a Nvidia one.

That's what I'm doing. I was about to sell mine and upgrade but I'm switching instead.

0 Likes

I think rude and ungrateful is the proper response at this point, they have had months to address this and instead they are ignoring the problem AND the consumers having it. I've been using AMD only for probably 20 years now and I'm getting an nvidia GPU instead of upgrading with AMD because of the way this has been handled. I doubt they care but I've been a loyal customer and gave them a lot of my money.

Shiyu
Adept I

AMD released new drivers for Alan Wake 2. 

Can anyone check if this version still has this problem?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-20-17-05-alan-wake-2?sf269918062=1 

0 Likes

Same problem here

SlayerCR77
Adept I

Same issue after clean install, 23.10.2 wont launch.

ASrock 6800 XT and Ryzen 5700X on Win11

If 23.10.2 isn't working right for you? I suggest looking into previous drivers.  

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6800-seri...

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

No offense but using previous drivers isn't exactly a fix, I am STILL stuck with 23.9.1 and there have been improvements for games I play and I still haven't had the chance to use fluid motion frames. It's kind of ridiculous to not have a fix by now and it's even more ridiculous to just ignore the issue which seems to be what's happening.

23.8.1 is working but not sure if the tradeoff of old drivers is worth it

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I can't figure out why but 23.9.1 and all of September's drivers are gone from the download page for the RX 6000 series as well as the RX 7000 series. The best I can do is tell those effected to look at 23.8.2 WHQL.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Unfortunately, this does not work for 7800xt owners. It's an absolute mess with AMD going radio silent...

23.8.1 is working but not sure if the tradeoff of old drivers is worth it?

0 Likes
Been
Adept II

I tried the drivers released for Alan Wake 2 and it still doesn't work. I really wish the warranty covered stuff like this because I would just return my GPU and get an Nvidia card at this point.

0 Likes
Giuse
Adept I

Hi, I'm also using 23.9.1 drivers with my RX7900XTX because all the updates made send me to restart the pc. So it's a problem for many?

yeah its a known issue I'd assume.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Those having issues should fill out this page in as much detail as they can. https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes
CapPain
Adept II

Ahh that time again for the weekly digest

1) How can AMD possbily provide you with a resolution to your problem when all scenearios here are different and information differs for every user. Also, the lack of it.
2) People referring to third party uninstallers (a couple of them) also when only upgrading software. Why? Why not use AMD's own uninstaller? You don't have to run any magic tricks or ultra clean your computer to do an upgrade. You're also not changing GPU vendors, so why using DDU/Revo or whatever? AMD shouldn't support this.
2-b) If you've used third party uninstallers or have messed up, go and reinstall Windows, I am sure you will also fix other problems you may have had. Did it work after a clean Windows install? There you go, there's your answer, you must have done something. Just accept it and don't blame AMD (not that I am defending them).
3)'upgraded to 23.10.2 and still cannot open the software'. I can confirm the software is working correctly on this version as well. Even for those claiming it does not work on a 7800 XT. It works for me and never required me to troubleshoot. I just followed the standard uninstall procedure (and lately for upgrading from/to 23.10.1>23.10.2 simply upgraded with their installer). That's all.
4) The software also worked on versions 23.8.x for me on a 6800 so the issue for some may have originated before this.
5) Users still trying to install an older version and not 23.10.2 as the latest. Why is this? Also, if you've had issues installing the downloaded driver, you can try downloading the driver again instead of running the same file. There may have been an issue publishing the software and you will never know.

I doubt AMD will provide with a response if information is misleading or poorly. Think of what you've done during the upgrade process, what version you were on, what apps you have installed, etc. Did you check logs after trying to run the software? - Again, no to be rude on everyone, but we need to remember that 'AMD' is also people and they will try and diagnose/replicate issues. If they haven't by now, it may be a conflict with either third party apps or as I suggested earlier, you may have done something that shouldn't have been done just to upgrade version.

0 Likes

I just used and cleanup utility in safe mode. Why are you blaming the users just because you didn't encounter this issue?

I use DDU because it gets rid of every AMD GPU driver on the computer, including the OEM driver that gets packaged in with windows version updates. DDU allows the basic user to easily disable Windows Driver Updates and removes the OEM GPU drivers, which, since updating to Windows 11 has had an issue where during AMD driver update Windows replaces the updated drivers with the current OEM driver on the computer(this will leave you with an otherwise working GPU but unable to open Adrenaline software). Which is the only problem I have ever had when installing AMD drivers.

No clue if that's what's happening here, but there are reasons people do things, you should probably figure out why before making hot takes.

0 Likes
Kekobrot
Journeyman III

Same here, had this problem for a few weeks already. Any software version newer than 23.9.1 won't open for me (RX 6800). I just saw that 23.10.2 was released and tried it out but the problem still persists.

I guess im stuck on 23.9.1 until it will be fixed. It's really annoying since i'm using the app actively every day..

Hi, could you help perform following troubleshooting steps one by one?
You can continue to perform the next troubleshoot without rolling back the previous changes

Troubleshoot 1:

1. In task manager, end tasks in this order: cncmd.exe RadeonSoftware.exe
  2. In task manager, end process tree for: amdrsserv.exe
  3. Goto %localappdata%/amd/cn, remove all files
  4. Run AMD Software in start menu

Troubleshoot 2:

3. Goto %localappdata%/amd/cn, remove all files
  4. Goto C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext, rename cn.blb to cn1.blb
  5. Run AMD Software in start menu

Troubleshoot 3:

3. Goto C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext, rename avcodec-59.dll to avcodec-591.dll

Troubleshoot 4:

3. Goto C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext, rename RSServCmd.exe to RSServCmd1.exe

Troubleshoot 5:

2. Goto Video folder, rename "Radeon Relive" folder to "Radeon Relive1"
  3. Run AMD Software in start menu

Thank you very much for your help and feedback.

0 Likes

I'm not Kekobrot, but same Problem here. All versions > 9.1 do not start the AMD Adrenalin Driver Frontend, including the today one "whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.11.1-win10-win11-nov3-rdna.exe"

Sporting a 5900x on a x570 MSI MB, paired with 2*16 GB RAM and a 6900XT.

Troubleshoot 1, 2, 3 and 4 did not do the trick (please note cncmd.exe and RadeonSoftware.exe were not running in Task manager).

Regarding Troubleshoot 5 I assumed you meant the folder in C:\Users\EDITED\Videos\ "Radeon ReLive"? Renaming this, did not solve the issue

Any news? Should I try something else to troubleshoot? Provide any logs? Or is there nothing we can do except wait months for working software of yours?

0 Likes

It seems so be working fine for me now. 

I just installed 23.12.1 and deleted the epic games folder in User>Appdata> Local and it runs fine now.

Tried every fix and every version and this is the only thing that worked for me.

I really hope this bug won't return. 

0 Likes
JFM
Adept III

Idk if it is same for everyone but for me it is %50 chance. Either works without an issue or doesn't work until I end the task named "AMDRSServ.exe" and relaunch Adrenalin. I am using overlay just to see whether app decided to work or not, hella annoying. 

Been
Adept II

I don't know if I just got lucky or what but I finally was able to get it to work. I used the AMD cleanup utility first and then installed the driver released for Alan Wake 2 and it worked. If you try it and you have any overclock setup make sure you backup the file to load it or write down all your settings because everything in Adrenalin will be reset and your overclock import files will be deleted.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback. Could other users try this to see if it works? Specifically, run the AMD clean-up Utility, then try to install the 23.20.17.05 driver for Alan Wake 2.

0 Likes

I tried the recommended steps, but unfortunately, I encountered the same problem:

1. amdcleanuputility: Running the AMD Cleanup Utility.

2. amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.20.17.05-win10-win11-oct24-rdna: The installation of this driver also led to Adrenalin crashes.

Currently, the only drivers that are functioning properly on my system are:

• whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.9.1-win10-win11-sep6
  • amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.30.01.02-win10-win11-insider-preview-afmf-oct17-rdna

+1

0 Likes

Are you a Windows Insider? If so on which channel are you?

0 Likes

Tried these steps, the issue still persist. It's been a month with this issue, 23.8.1 was working fine.

RSrock, Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 6750 XT.

This is the best AMD can come up in 7 weeks of a reported issue? Insanely poor support for a basic software function: preventing the app to quit by itself (It's not even a crash.... Come on...)

0 Likes
Kokosek
Adept I

It seems like any drivers newer than 23.9.1 brings a lot of issues and troubles for many people, wonder when amd will fix it. I had to install 23.9.1 also cuz any newer version causes fps drops and latency spikes+ audio crackling.

SlayerCR77
Adept I

SlayerCR77_0-1699027504989.png

Had the following error on the latest version.

acedia1
Journeyman III

Im having the same issue. Can not open the adrenaline app. It just shows for a brief second and then vanishes in the right bottom corner of my screen. 23.8.2 is working for me. Tryed everything above nothing changed.

Rx-6600