cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dbeat
Adept I

Re: After seven years use, AMD GPU freezes Windows!

Having the same issue since 3 months aprox. I have a dell 15r Inspiron, with amd HD 8850M, since latest series of OBLIGATORY windows 10 updates my laptop is a mess. Constantly detecting R9 M200X instead of the original. I wouldn't have a problem if only that would work but it doesn't, every once in a while my computer freezes due to this change. I've tried all, clean instalations, clean uninstalations, original drivers from dell page, updating BIOS, updating processor (first of all). New adrenalin 2020 "compatible" with my card software (which is total crap). I firmly believe windows had this updates to ruin old good solid laptops.

0 Likes
aethelbert
Adept I

Hi dbeat‌. As rp20‌ told me in the previous message, I believe it is a hardware issue. Coincidently, it started following a Windows 10 update, and should have been corrected after a clean Windows 8 installation, which was the original OS from my laptop. It was not the case, and the GPU does not work on W8 as well. So, after 2 years burning my GPU playing Star Wars Battlefront, which demands a lot from the laptop (when playing, GPU and CPU temperatures where always running around 95-100 ºC - regular use should be around 50-60 ºC), and since the AMD GPU can be recognized, but cannot be enabled because of the screen freezing, I'm almost sure that I had a BGA solder problem, and maybe some of the contacts had cracked. The only ways to solve, sadly, would be to change motherboard, buy a new laptop, or try a reballing service (reballing will try to correct the BGA contacts with heat). This latter, sometimes, give good, but temporary results. pastedImage_1.png

If the problem is on the solder balls below the BGA substrate, maybe the problem can be solved, at least temporarily. But if the problem is on the internal solder bumps, just forget it. No way to correct. The guys who do the reballing service also can change the GPU using the same procedures for reballing. However, I have no idea from where to find the GPU alone on the market.

djdat
Adept I

I am an engineer and this is basically gospel. Manufacturers do this on purpose to make you upgrade. These GPU's are under constant high heat scenarios and as such should be pinned to the board, Not soldered on with BGA. If these chips were pinned, This would never happen. And they know it.

aethelbert
Adept I

That's why I miss a lot those old CPU sockets. I've changed CPU so many times those days.

0 Likes
marcox43
Journeyman III

I' don't have a solution yet, but wanted to point this out, I have the very same model Samsung Series 7 chronos with I7 and HD 8870m, same setup as yours and got the same issue since august. Was playing World of tanks when my GPU crashed... I will try setting an external GPU and see how it goes. Long live the king of Slim laptops! Serie 7 chronos.

I had done Thermal paste change in the past, so mine usually ran with CPU at 86°C and GPU at 67-70°C.

stay strong mate.

0 Likes
maxbminor
Journeyman III

About one month ago, I started having my cad software (Rhino 6) freeze at random intervals.  But it freezes the entire machine necessitating a reboot.

This happened after a Windows 10 update.

The machine is a 2015 iMac, with an AMD Radeon R9 M380 graphics card.

I tried updating the drivers using the AMD installation tool, and when it runs it tells me Windows does not detect an AMD card in the machine. Helpful!

It may not be the exact issue discussed elsewhere in this thread, but has anyone else run into this?

Thanks for any thoughts!

0 Likes
zululboy
Journeyman III

i dont know if there is any sollution i am planning on getting a new one but i just want to know is getting a new gpu will solve this i dont want to waste money 

0 Likes
JonPQ
Journeyman III

Hi!

I came here just to say that the same exact thing happened to me in DEC 2020.

I have a Toshiba Satellite P-70 and noticed that, after a Windows 10 update, my PC would freeze randomly and the only fix was to reboot it.

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and the problem remained unchanged, but started occurring more often, until it happened everytime I tried to boot Windows. Spent a whole week trying to fix it (didn't know how to disable windows automatic drivers update).

Luckily, my laptop has a lower grade Intel GPU, so I can still use my laptop. I will never buy any Toshiba or any other laptop that has a AMD GPU.

0 Likes
JonPQ
Journeyman III

Hi!

I came here just to say that the same exact thing happened to me in DEC 2020.

I have a Toshiba Satellite P-70 and noticed that, after a Windows 10 update, my PC would freeze randomly and the only fix was to reboot it.

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and the problem remained unchanged, but started occurring more often, until it happened everytime I tried to boot Windows. Spent a whole week trying to fix it (didn't know how to disable windows automatic drivers update).

Luckily, my laptop has a lower grade Intel GPU, so I can still use my laptop. I will never buy any Toshiba or any other laptop that has a AMD GPU.

0 Likes
alexOoO
Journeyman III

Hey Guys, 

i also have an Samsung Series 7 Chronos (called Ativ Book 8 here in Germany) with the HD 8870m. 

i´'ve had the exact same problem in December 2020 and i tried a lot of stuff and finally i fixed it, but cannot remember how (i think it was something with Microsoft visual c++ but i really don't remember). 

Yesderday i did some heavy graphics stuff and then the Screen freezed. Now i have the same issue again and cannot find any solution. The Laptop works perfect when i deactivate the AMD Graphics. 

I dont't think that this problem is really a hardware issue, cause so many people have the same problems with this kind of hybrid-graphics. 

0 Likes