Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Adrenaline - Ultrawide Resolution Issue on Wakeup

Mine is still doing it with the USB unplugged and anything newer than 20.9.1 it has the issue no matter how clean I make the uninstall and new install.

I am now staying on the 20.12.1 drivers but I have moved to HDMI at 85hz, will miss the 144HZ but with freesync on it should be smooth anyway on 85hz.

I will report back tomorrow and let you know how I get on with the HDMI. I am guessing if its driver I should see the same issue unless the DP implementation is buggy or something.

Tags (1)
soldier989
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm using DP 1.4

With my VR disconnected (only a single DP port plugged in), I set Windows power settings to put the monitor to sleep after 1 minute for testing. I found that waking the monitor up after around 1 minute of sleep was quick and there was no resolution issue (tested around 5 times). I got up, did some things, let the monitor "deep sleep" for over 5 mins, and the issue occured upon wake up (tested 3 times, each failed).

I'm still thinking the monitor is waking up slower than the video card, and a handshake of sorts is not taking place. Adrenaline still recognizes the display as my monitor, and nothing generic. Since we're all doing a sort of...powercycle...to get the display properly after the GPU is awake, it seems a signal is being missed when the GPU and monitor are both being woken up. 

I'm thinking of it like this.

1. GPU sends a wakeup signal and request asking the monitor of its capabilities. The monitor gets the wakeup signal, but is too slow and doesn't hear the capability request from the GPU, therefore never sending one. The GPU is then forced to do its job in some fashion, and forcing low resolution modes that any monitor should be capable of handling.

2. Monitor wakes up slow and sends it's capabilities signal after the GPUs timeout to listen for it. GPU being unsure then forces a low resolution that any monitor should be capable of handling.

3. Adrenaline is forgetting what the monitor is capable of doing, when it really should retain that info and push the last known settings used ---- (TBH, I'm unsure if a signal from the monitor advising of its capabilities is a real thing. I assume it is since somehow Windows knows what resolution or Hz a monitor can be without a monitor driver).

Just some more thoughts. Let's keep this brainstorm going!

0 Kudos
vidko
Adept II
Adept II

I can confirm, that it works ok if you wake it up as you say very quick like a minute. I am not really sure, if the monitor does have different sleep states, so my guess would be it is the GPU drivers.

Also, as already mentioned it is not the USB cable, it does not make a difference if it is connected or not.

I will also try searching LG & other forums, where some users reported issues with black screen after waking up (probably not related, but at this point I will look into anything). Also, I am eager for a new AMD driver to see if it fixes it.

0 Kudos
GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

So to update:

I moved from the DP cable, I have tried 5, two on the official DP certified list, the one that came with the monitor itself and two others I had knocking around. 

All do the same thing on any driver after 20.9.1.

I moved to the HDMI cable last night, yes this only gives 85hz (I bought the monitor for the 144hz gaming) however playing last night, freesync is smoother on 85Hz and the card seems to handle better.

With the HDMI I cable, I locked the computer and then did a load of tests, 5 mins, 10, 30, 60, 2 hours, 4 hours etc and each time I came back no monitor issues at all with the resolution (I am using a HDMI 2.0b spec cable), it just works.

Went back to the DP cable, removed all drivers, went from 20.8.x to 20.12.1, DP worked up to 20.9.1, then after that the issue appears so has to be driver issue as if it was monitor, cable or card then it would do it regardless.

For now I am staying on the HDMI cable, will retest the DP each time a new driver comes out and see what happens.

0 Kudos
vidko
Adept II
Adept II

21.1.1 driver does not resolve the issue. It is still present. filed another bug report

0 Kudos
GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

So just to update, I am 4/5 days in on the HDMI and the issue has not happened at all.

I wold put it down to this monitor but I have tested now on this ultrawide and 2 x 1080p DP 1.4 monitors and a 4K DP monitor and it does it on all of them from 144hz and upwards. Go on HDMI all good.

I have updated drivers but moved to HDMI atm, not ideal but gets me a working display without having to power cycle the monitor or switch it off every time I move away from the desk.

EDIT:

have any of you installed the Driver for the monitor so its not a Generic PnP monitor?

I have found these:

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware?csSalesCode=34GK950F-B.AEK

I am trying them to see what happens on display port.

0 Kudos
GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

On my travels I have found the following:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kulUnoRpSnkJ:https://lgcommunity.us.com/discus...

This is a google cached version of the LG Community site which as you guessed it the page can't be reached normally!

Looking at this it seems this could be a monitor issue, loads of people having issues on nvidia and AMD,on HDMi and Display Port.

Looks like an issue that LG will not comment on nor fix!

Still seems strange that it only happens on certain driver versions!

0 Kudos
vidko
Adept II
Adept II

Hey!

I dug into your link, and went to do some more research and found a thread on Reddit.

I did the same as suggested, aka installing the LG driver: https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware-drivers?customerModelCode=34GK950F-B&csSalesCode=34G...

so in the device manager it will actually show the monitor name and not "generic monitor" and it seems it resolves the issue.

I did test it only once, and the correct resolution was displayed. Will do some more testing, but it looks promising.

Found the link again: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/bvz91v/lg_34gk950f_wake_from_sleep_issue/

0 Kudos
GreyMata
Adept I
Adept I

I have the driver and took off freesync and no fix for me, still does it, lock your machine and leave it for 20+ mins and it happens.

I think LG have an issue with the screen and they are doing nothing about it, they released a 38" version and that doesn't do it, in the LG Community link you can see that Linus tech mentioned this about the monitor and it did it for him too.

I am tempted to get rid of the monitor and go back to 2 x 27" 1440p screens and be done with the messing on trying to fix this.

To fix the issue when it happens I am using the Ctrl + Shift + Win Key + B which resets the display driver and it sorts it that way. Interestingly, if I don't lock the machine and just leave it to go to sleep normally I have not seen the issue as yet, just from the lock screen!

0 Kudos
soldier989
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I too have the monitor driver installed and get the issue.

If I install the driver only (at least last months driver) and not install Adrenaline, the issue didn't occur. I tested this for about 2 days.

Has anyone else tested that yet? If we find that with only installing the driver doesn't result in this issue, I think we can safely remove the driver and monitor as the issue, and point our finger at Adrenaline.

I personally never had this issue using this monitor on my 1080 (for 1+ years) or my 3080 (couple months)

0 Kudos