cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

soldier989
Journeyman III

Adrenaline - Ultrawide Resolution Issue on Wakeup

When waking up my Ultrawide LG 34gk950f from sleep, the resolution of my monitor goes to 1200x800 and has black bars on the left and right side. The issue is resolved by either powercycling the monitor, reseating the DP cable, toggling the display port in the monitor between 1.4 and 1.2 or rebooting the PC. Thinking that the monitor may be starting slower than the 6900xt, I played with Windows power settings, nothing helped. I've turned off HDCP, freesync and all other settings within Adrenaline, this did not solve the issue. Installing the monitors latest driver did not solve the issue. Swapping to another DP cable did not solve the issue. Tried a RTX 3080 and could not duplicate the issue. Uninstalling/reinstalling the latest driver/adrenaline did not solve the issue (DDU was used for a clean wipe).

I did a clean boot of Windows and ended the Adrenaline process. When my monitor went to sleep, it woke up with the correct resolution. Tested this multiple times and each wake up worked correctly. I then started Adrenaline, let the monitor go to sleep, and the resolution issue returned. 

I uninstalled the driver and adrenaline software again, then installed ONLY the 6900xt driver. Ever since doing this, waking my monitor up from sleep has been fine. It seems something between Adrenaline and having an ultrawide monitor is causing this issue. I already reported the issue to AMD, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem or found a fix. At the least, making the community aware of my problem may help someone down the road too.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Pro-WiFi (SAM/BAR enabled)
CPU: AMD 5600x
RAM: 32gb G.Skill 3600Mhz 16-16-16-28
GPU: Sapphire 6900xt reference
Monitor: LG 34gk950f

0 Likes
112 Replies
GreyMata
Adept I

I have the same monitor and the 5700XT Red Devil

Same issues as yourself on DP and not on HDMI, this is a driver issue I think as I can work fine on 20.9.1

I have tried rebuilds, clean driver installs, and nothing is working, if I use 20.9.1 and earlier it all works, if I use 20.11 or 20.12 then I get the resolution issue and I have to reboot or pull cables from the monitor and its annoying now.

I have tried all sorts and I can't get the issue to resolve on the latest driver.

If I lock the machine, the monitor will go to sleep after 5 mins, come back 20 mins later and I get the same resolution issue.

I will keep checking the thread in case you find a resolution for this, I have raised bug reports for months via the driver but every new one doesn't seem to resolve the issue :(

UPDATE:

Grabbed the 20.12.1 drivers, turned off Freesync via the monitors OSD and turned off freesync in the AMD drivers and now it will wake sometimes without he resolution issue but you do get the black screen issue! Still have to turn the monitor off to sort it. Will stick on the 20.9.1 for the forseeable I think and try again in a few months.

0 Likes
tonn333
Adept I

Same problem with same display and gpu (but MSI). 

Did you ever find a solution?

0 Likes

No solution as yet, I can either have new drivers and get a black screen when waking the monitor after locking Windows, or I can go on an older driver and not get the issues.

Drivers 20.9.1 work for me at present. I am temped just to turn off the monitor sleep and just power down the monitor when I walk away from it for now.

With 20.12.1 I have had to turn off FreeSync on the monitor and also in the AMD driver. I think I am just going to stay on 20.9.1 as they are stable.

0 Likes

Update on my side, incase AMD reads this. 

Installed a Asrock 6900xt Phantom D, issue persists, so it's not a fault with the card I had. (As well as others confirming they have the same issue)

I've not tried the driver you mentioned since it doesn't claim to support the 6900xt. It's an idea, I may give it a try at some point. 

Do either of you have VR setup by chance? I do, and I'm thinking that Adrenaline is waking up both devices at the same time, and my VR's headset is quicker. Which then Windows is "extending" or "cloning" the display to match it's resolution to my monitor, even though it's not set to do that. An odd thing I noticed when I first got the 6900xt is that my VR's display is always on when plugged into the hdmi port after installing Adrenaline. To get that to shut off, I have to go into Steam, open VR up and shut it down, and the headset no longer stays on. But, just maybe, there's still a wakeup signal coming from the headset. I have unplugged the VR's hdmi port from the card, but haven't had a chance to test.

0 Likes

Morning,

I don't have a VR headset but you got me thinking, I do have the usb cable from the monitor to the PC and I am wondering if the USB is causing an issue, I will disconnect it and try with newer drivers and see what happens.

I will update this after work this evening and let you know how I get one, will reduce the connection to the one DP1.4 cable. I may jump down to the HDMI 2.0b and just game at 85hz and see if I get the issue on HDMI.

UPDATE:

So I do not want to curse this but I used the cleaner utility again, installed 20.12.1 and unplugged the USB cable from the monitor to the PC and its not done it since so it might be that the USB was waking at the same time and causing issues. not sure how but not seen the error as yet.

Does your VR headset have USB attached to it too?

I will keep it as it is for now and will update later tonight after its been used for several hours and locked etc to test this. Seems a weird bug.

0 Likes

Hi guys! I already reported that issue here, but no replies yet.

At least this thread got some traction.

I can confirm the issue as well, and really annoyed by it. Turning the monitor off and back on resolves it, but is just a temporary solution.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, Radeon RX 6800XT liquid cooled, Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4-4000, Force MP600 Pro XT 2TB, Force MP600 2TB, UltraGear 38GN950-B
0 Likes

Same as yourself, I have reported this with every driver version since 20.9.1 and nothing has helped so far.

Mind my monitor is still working like a dream on the 20.12.1 drive atm with me disconnecting the usb cable used to update the monitor OSB/software for the LG ultra wide. I will keep monitoring it and see how I get on.

UPDATE:

Just happened again, will go back to 20.9.1 for now until its fixed.

Out of interest are you all on Display Port connections or HDMI?

0 Likes

DisplayPort

0 Likes

I'm on DisplayPort as well and the monitor is also a 34GK950F. I have this issue with latest 20.12.1 only.

I just disconnected the USB cable and will report in the morning.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, Radeon RX 6800XT liquid cooled, Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4-4000, Force MP600 Pro XT 2TB, Force MP600 2TB, UltraGear 38GN950-B
0 Likes

Mine is still doing it with the USB unplugged and anything newer than 20.9.1 it has the issue no matter how clean I make the uninstall and new install.

I am now staying on the 20.12.1 drivers but I have moved to HDMI at 85hz, will miss the 144HZ but with freesync on it should be smooth anyway on 85hz.

I will report back tomorrow and let you know how I get on with the HDMI. I am guessing if its driver I should see the same issue unless the DP implementation is buggy or something.

I'm using DP 1.4

With my VR disconnected (only a single DP port plugged in), I set Windows power settings to put the monitor to sleep after 1 minute for testing. I found that waking the monitor up after around 1 minute of sleep was quick and there was no resolution issue (tested around 5 times). I got up, did some things, let the monitor "deep sleep" for over 5 mins, and the issue occured upon wake up (tested 3 times, each failed).

I'm still thinking the monitor is waking up slower than the video card, and a handshake of sorts is not taking place. Adrenaline still recognizes the display as my monitor, and nothing generic. Since we're all doing a sort of...powercycle...to get the display properly after the GPU is awake, it seems a signal is being missed when the GPU and monitor are both being woken up. 

I'm thinking of it like this.

1. GPU sends a wakeup signal and request asking the monitor of its capabilities. The monitor gets the wakeup signal, but is too slow and doesn't hear the capability request from the GPU, therefore never sending one. The GPU is then forced to do its job in some fashion, and forcing low resolution modes that any monitor should be capable of handling.

2. Monitor wakes up slow and sends it's capabilities signal after the GPUs timeout to listen for it. GPU being unsure then forces a low resolution that any monitor should be capable of handling.

3. Adrenaline is forgetting what the monitor is capable of doing, when it really should retain that info and push the last known settings used ---- (TBH, I'm unsure if a signal from the monitor advising of its capabilities is a real thing. I assume it is since somehow Windows knows what resolution or Hz a monitor can be without a monitor driver).

Just some more thoughts. Let's keep this brainstorm going!

0 Likes

I can confirm, that it works ok if you wake it up as you say very quick like a minute. I am not really sure, if the monitor does have different sleep states, so my guess would be it is the GPU drivers.

Also, as already mentioned it is not the USB cable, it does not make a difference if it is connected or not.

I will also try searching LG & other forums, where some users reported issues with black screen after waking up (probably not related, but at this point I will look into anything). Also, I am eager for a new AMD driver to see if it fixes it.

0 Likes

So to update:

I moved from the DP cable, I have tried 5, two on the official DP certified list, the one that came with the monitor itself and two others I had knocking around. 

All do the same thing on any driver after 20.9.1.

I moved to the HDMI cable last night, yes this only gives 85hz (I bought the monitor for the 144hz gaming) however playing last night, freesync is smoother on 85Hz and the card seems to handle better.

With the HDMI I cable, I locked the computer and then did a load of tests, 5 mins, 10, 30, 60, 2 hours, 4 hours etc and each time I came back no monitor issues at all with the resolution (I am using a HDMI 2.0b spec cable), it just works.

Went back to the DP cable, removed all drivers, went from 20.8.x to 20.12.1, DP worked up to 20.9.1, then after that the issue appears so has to be driver issue as if it was monitor, cable or card then it would do it regardless.

For now I am staying on the HDMI cable, will retest the DP each time a new driver comes out and see what happens.

0 Likes

21.1.1 driver does not resolve the issue. It is still present. filed another bug report

0 Likes

So just to update, I am 4/5 days in on the HDMI and the issue has not happened at all.

I wold put it down to this monitor but I have tested now on this ultrawide and 2 x 1080p DP 1.4 monitors and a 4K DP monitor and it does it on all of them from 144hz and upwards. Go on HDMI all good.

I have updated drivers but moved to HDMI atm, not ideal but gets me a working display without having to power cycle the monitor or switch it off every time I move away from the desk.

EDIT:

have any of you installed the Driver for the monitor so its not a Generic PnP monitor?

I have found these:

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-firmware?csSalesCode=34GK950F-B.AEK

I am trying them to see what happens on display port.

0 Likes

On my travels I have found the following:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kulUnoRpSnkJ:https://lgcommunity.us.com/discus...

This is a google cached version of the LG Community site which as you guessed it the page can't be reached normally!

Looking at this it seems this could be a monitor issue, loads of people having issues on nvidia and AMD,on HDMi and Display Port.

Looks like an issue that LG will not comment on nor fix!

Still seems strange that it only happens on certain driver versions!

0 Likes

Hey!

I dug into your link, and went to do some more research and found a thread on Reddit.

I did the same as suggested, aka installing the LG driver: https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware-drivers?customerModelCode=34GK950F-B&csSalesCode=34G...

so in the device manager it will actually show the monitor name and not "generic monitor" and it seems it resolves the issue.

I did test it only once, and the correct resolution was displayed. Will do some more testing, but it looks promising.

Found the link again: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/bvz91v/lg_34gk950f_wake_from_sleep_issue/

0 Likes

I have the driver and took off freesync and no fix for me, still does it, lock your machine and leave it for 20+ mins and it happens.

I think LG have an issue with the screen and they are doing nothing about it, they released a 38" version and that doesn't do it, in the LG Community link you can see that Linus tech mentioned this about the monitor and it did it for him too.

I am tempted to get rid of the monitor and go back to 2 x 27" 1440p screens and be done with the messing on trying to fix this.

To fix the issue when it happens I am using the Ctrl + Shift + Win Key + B which resets the display driver and it sorts it that way. Interestingly, if I don't lock the machine and just leave it to go to sleep normally I have not seen the issue as yet, just from the lock screen!

0 Likes

I too have the monitor driver installed and get the issue.

If I install the driver only (at least last months driver) and not install Adrenaline, the issue didn't occur. I tested this for about 2 days.

Has anyone else tested that yet? If we find that with only installing the driver doesn't result in this issue, I think we can safely remove the driver and monitor as the issue, and point our finger at Adrenaline.

I personally never had this issue using this monitor on my 1080 (for 1+ years) or my 3080 (couple months)

0 Likes

I tried just the driver and didn't have the monitor driver, just the AMD one and it was fine for a few hours then I locked the machine, came back 2 hours later and had the issue.

I think this could be a monitor issue as its happening on Win 7/10 and with nvidia and AMD Seems pot luck if your monitor behaves itself.

0 Likes

I left it now for an hour, and it does indeed not resolve the issue. Sorry for giving us hope

0 Likes

So the only fix I can see so far with this monitor is either move to 85HZ HDMI

OR

Never let the monitor go to sleep and if I know I am gonna walk away for a while turn off the monitor. I can't work out any other option other than staying on months old drivers and praying it doesn't happen.

0 Likes

Could be related and is even worse on Samsung monitors: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/l1zlvk/radeon_software_adrenalin_2020_edition_2111/gk3gwd6/?co...

0 Likes

Ideally I think it would require a firmware update for the monitors but as these are EOL now I doubt that will happen

For now I just turn the monitor off and save the hassle.

0 Likes

Why would it work on certain driver versions then?

0 Likes

Thats the part I can't work out. Maybe something with the monitor and the driver not triggering the issue and newer ones do, or windows patches, I do also get this issue on the old Iiyama 24's 144hz monitors I used to have.

I am on an old Intel chipset though so could it be that? I am on a i7 6700K and the MSI Krait Z170A chipset. Is it a chipset issue, bios issue. I just don't know. All I know is if I use HDMI its great and works, Display Port it doesn't and I have tried turning off options for the card, certified cables, bios tweaks and nothing.

I am really tempted to dump this monitor in the near future and get some dual Dell S2721DGFA panels and then see what happens or go to 144hz HDMI with them

0 Likes

Adrenalin 21.2.1 does not resolve the issue

0 Likes

I am not sure if a driver will fix this at all.

Either something new in Windows +drivers is causing this with newer file version etc or as looking about seems most ultrawides are struggling with one issue or another.

I managed to get the 38" version of our LG panel from work yesterday, guess what, issue does not happen, same drivers, same cables, it always comes back even after hours of letting it put the monitor to sleep.

I think its just pot luck on ultrawide with display port.

Can you test HDMI on yours, I know its only 85hz but can you confirm that all is well like mine is on HDMI?

Cheers

0 Likes

Need to look around for one. Probably snatch one from my HTPC.

Looks like there might be a new firmware update released just yesterday: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/software-firmware

Ah, it was just the OnScreen software. Updated from 5.71 to 5.73

0 Likes

With the latest Adrenalin and chipset drivers, I sometimes get a black screen when waking the monitor as well, not just the low 1280x800 resolution. I switched to HDMI (85Hz) now and will report back.

0 Likes

I can confirm the monitor wakes as intended with an HDMI cable.

0 Likes

So interestingly, I am back on DP but stopped the monitor going to sleep and just used a screen saver and letting it lock the machine after 5 mins.

What I have noticed is that if you catch it soon enough, you can see the screensaver change res to 1200x800 and it runs for 1/2 second in the top left of the screen.

Now interestingly, when this happens, if I had any windows open at the time, they all resize to 1200x800 instead of half and half on the screen, however the res stays at 3440x1440 so its not causing the res issue. It does this on any driver with the screen saver. I am starting to think this is something to do with either the Picture in Picture that the panel can do or there is some weird display issue with the firmware/panel.

It'll do for now as I am gaming on this and want the 144hz but if I wasn't a gamer I reckon I'd just sit on HDMI and 85hz

0 Likes

I also installed the KB4598291-Optional patch for Windows 10 as it fixes the following among other fixes:

- Updates an issue that displays a blank lock screen after a device wakes up from Hibernate.

Unfortunately it didn't help. I will also try a clean Windows reinstall as I haven't in about two years.

0 Likes

I also ordered a high quality (VESA certified) DisplayPort 1.4 cable and will test as well. I will also test with an Nvidia GPU, as the original poster mentioned he couldn't reproduce the issue with an RTX 3080 card.

0 Likes

I have tried two cables on the certified list and it made no difference

0 Likes

Yeah, I ran this monitor on my GTX 1080 for a year, and my 3080 for a month without issue. 

0 Likes

I can also confirm that hdmi works without any black screen issues but all DP ports I can’t even get past windows start up n screen crashes. I’m using a msi ultrawide, on a new build pc of 5900x and msi rx6800xt trio! My old rig of 3600 and msi 1660super has no issues at all, so it’s all a Amd software problem. Only had this gpu for a week and countless problems from installation to black screens and as some of you guys have said it just doesn’t go well with ultrawide screen for some reason. Tested on tv with hdmi and can confirm no crashes or black screens and everything is fine too! 

0 Likes

I got a GTX 970 and will try to test it as soon as possible. Can't use my PC as I have it water cooled and use hard tubes. I have enough other components so I can build a test rig and give it a go.

Although it does indeed look more and more as a driver issue and AMD needs to fix it.

0 Likes

Issue is not present with an Nvidia GTX 970 card, so I am leaning  towards Adrenalin drivers being the culprit.

0 Likes