cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

crspears
Adept II

6900 XT , Drivers 23.9.3, HDR, and Samsung Odyssey G7 Monitors

23.9.3 has caused crashes, freezing, and system slowdowns of the like that I haven't seen since the late 90s. Apparently, turning off Freesync in andrenaline has helped. 

My XFX 6900XT has been subpar since I purchased it in mid 2021, and the same issues since then have never been fixed. This "was" supposed to be a flagship card, and support is non existent for it. The image looked "muddy" and I couldn't tell if it was my monitor or gpu or DPI cable. 

Today, after reinstalling 23.9.3 drivers, the image finally looks sharp and good. 23.9.3 has introduced huge system breaking issues, but, the image fidelity is finally not straining on my eyes. 

I don't know what AMD did to break or fix it. I don't know why everything looks so much better on 23.9.3

Prior to 23.9.3 I was going into custom color in Adrenaline and turning it to -12.

If anyone else has other observations or inputs that would be appreciated 

1 Solution
crspears
Adept II

disabling freesync has fixed the freezing for me, however, baldurs gate 3 doesn't launch in Vulkan, but works fine in Directx11

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
AgCN3
Adept III

I have this monitor:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TMJ9LGR/ 

I also have a Radeon 6950XT and a Ryzen 9 5950X.  23.9.2 caused my PC to freeze, and even crash during a simple scene in Starfield - walking through the Frontier's cabin, with Sara, Sam and Cora onboard.  Diablo 4 had about 1/4 of the FPS than normal during heavy fighting (44FPS on 23.9.2 vs 163 FPS on 23.8.2), and the PC would hang intermittently during simple Microsoft Card games. 

23.9.3 was unusable from the beginning for me.  Once it was installed - having not prompted for a restart like every other AMD Driver I can remember - I knew it wasn't going to be good, and it wasn't.

I restarted my machine anyways because that's what AMD Drivers require, and then opened Chrome and Gmail to look at some e-mail...  22 seconds of unresponsive PC... followed by 3-plus minutes of trying to figure out how to hit the Windows button on-screen, to finally re-start the PC again...  only to find that nothing had changed.   It took another 5 minutes to un-install 23.9.2, and then I restarted again, waited for a full boot, and stasis, and re-installed 23.8.2 from my AMD Downloads folder, and I've not had once single problem since.

23.9 is just garbage, sadly.  I'll report back after 23.10.1 happens.

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
0 Likes
crspears
Adept II

disabling freesync has fixed the freezing for me, however, baldurs gate 3 doesn't launch in Vulkan, but works fine in Directx11

0 Likes