cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

shaneomac
Adept I

23.8.1 - 23.9.1 - driver timeout and BSOD when alt tabbing from some games and quitting games

Hi everyone, I am using driver 23.9.1 (latest to this date) and I have huge issues with my PC, I've turned every OC off, I am not even running an EXPO, I did lot of troubleshooting and I think my PC is in a good shape no hardware faults etc.

However with driver 23.9.1 I am experiences crashes and BSOD when Freesync is enabled ( this issue is also in 23.8.2, and most probably in 23.8.1 - but i didnt tested that one by myself I saw it is reported by other users)

The problem is kinda specific, it seems to occur much more often when using borderless mode and it ALWAYS HAPPEN WHEN YOU HAVE FREESYNC ENABLED.
With disabled freesync there are no issues.

This issue mostly happens to me in playing emulator like PCSX2 and Xenia for XBOX 360, But I was able to reproduce in Kingdom Come deliverance as well

Steps to reproduce

Install Latest Driver 23.9.1
Make sure AMD Freesync Premium is enabled
Start the game (In my case it was Kingdom Come deliverance)
Get in the game
Go in settings and set the game to borderless mode
Start alt tabbing the game, press windows button to go in desktop, go to desktop and try to use browser and so on, extreme test scenario is to rapidly alt tab then move a mouse and so on, the mouse will start to get laggy and the computer will crash then, I know this testcase will not be really "standard" but for me this will always crash my PC and It's important to say with FREESYNC OFF this will never crash my PC and also with drivers 23.7.2 - that will also NEVER CRASH MY PC, so even the last testcase is kinda extreme, it should never crash your PC, when it was working before in 23.7.2

I believe there has to be some freesync changes because after all freesync seems more smooth than it was in 23.7.2
Please tell me what can I provide for you to analyze this issue, any help is much appreciated and it's really driving me crazy

I am definitely not alone, maybe it can be a Combo with some specific monitors and so on.
My specs are:
MOBO: ASUS B650M PLUS WIFI
GPU: Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700x
RAM: Kingston Fury Beast Black 32GB DDR5 6000 CL36
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X - 240Hz

I am definitely not alone - I have found out several users with same problem.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/16b5k41/amd_adrenaline_drivers_23812382_crashing/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/16atdeb/bsod_dpc_watchdog_violation_since_2381_and_now/?sh...
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/amd-drivers-23-8-1-and-newer-unstable-with-certain-displays.449307...

Thanks for any help
Best regards
Martin

0 Likes
10 Replies
Qoojo
Miniboss

Could be a windows thing too. Try turning off MPO via registry. You could also try bumping up the min range of freesync to about 30 with CRU to see if that helps. They did put a fix in around 23.7.1 or 23.7.2 to fix certain monitors like mine by allowing EDID overrides with CRU and allowing the increase of the min freesync range. Previously, I could not use freesync due to crashes.

Thanks mate I never really heard about such a stuff, will find some info about it and I will definitely give that a try and will post a result.

0 Likes

my monitor is already at 40hz-120hz freesync range should i lower it to 30hz?

0 Likes
shaneomac
Adept I

unfortunately it does not help, only thing which resolves it is to downgrade to 23.7.2 or not use freesync

jackwolfskin
Adept I

Iam having same issue but using a Dell Alienware AW2723DF 280hz. 

mattakacas
Journeyman III

Commenting here to corroborate the issue @shaneomac detailed in his post. I have a dozen or more folks who commented on my detailed reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/16b5k41/amd_adrenaline_drivers_23812382_crashing/ ) regarding this workaround (turning off VRR/FreeSync and/or using different display) who say this was there issue. It does seem like a pretty fringe issue only affecting certain displays and even then sometimes only certain connection methods for said displays which is why, in my opinion, its not getting more community attention at this point.

For me the display that had issues with driver 23.8.1, 23.8.2 and 23.9.1 was a LG 27GP95R-B using the HDMI 2.1 connection. I ended up switching to a DP 1.4 cable and I've been golden for days now - but I would prefer to use HDMI 2.1 in the long run.

Thanks for your info, unfortunately for me it's crashing with displayport, but I can try to use HDMI instead, but I am now not sure I think my monitor will not support 240hz over HDMI, but will try and let you know.

0 Likes
shaneomac
Adept I

There is a new driver from yesterday, when I got home I will try it.

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

Happens to me too.

Now, every period of time, it will crash.. not just game.. I watch movie and it will crash...

back to our golden driver 22.11.2

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
JMarcosHP
Journeyman III

I can confirm this issue.

Disabling Freesync on 23.9.2 driver worked for me, no more timeouts and blackscreens playing StarWars Battlefront II 2017. Def freesync is broken on newest drivers.

Hope AMD fix freesync, my display is LG 24MK (1080p @ 75hz).

More specs:

CPU: RYZEN 5 5600G

MOBO: MSI TOMAHAWK MAX II B450

GPU: MSI 7600 MECH X2 CLASSIC OC

0 Likes