cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

caffeine
Adept I

5700 xt black screen crash !!!

I just bought my 5700xt 5 days ago and since i installed it i started getting black screen when i start play any game !! 

First, the screens goes black , then keyboard and mouse goes off , but pc still running but freezed , i have to force reboot it by power button ! I cannot play any game ! 

Here is the steps I tried but didn't solve the issue :

- used latest software update 

- downgraded the software 

- used DDU in safe mode to fully uninstall the software and all drivers then did a fresh install for the software

- prevented windows from updating drivers.

- increased RAM Mhz to max 

- played in low graphics 

- played in windowed mode 

- unpluged and re-pluged the gpu 

- increased fan speed to max so the temp of the gpu didn't go over 52° max.

- windows up to date

- checked power supply and cables

I know some of those steps that i did is not neccesary but i would do anything cuz i am desperate and hopeless. 

So can you guys help ?

Specs : 

CPU : Ryzen 9 3900x 

GPU : 5700 XT

RAM : 32GB 3200 mhz

Windows installed on seperate SSD

23 Replies
laurentw
Adept I

Hi,
I have the same problem with a brand new RX 5600 Xt gigabyte model: GV-R56XTWF2OC-6GD (buy in France)

I've never had any trouble with my computer,
MD: GA-990FXA-UD3
Proc: FX8350
24 gig's Ram

by installing this RX 5600Xt card, I started from an Iso version of Win10, fully updated.
Then installation of the AMD drivers and the ... crash !!!
green screen randomly.
impossible to use.

By uninstalling the drivers, no more worries ...
I installed old Drivers, same Green Screen problem.

I'm not going to spend my time trying to find a solution for AMD (and gigabyte) programmers are paid enough at home to provide a quality product and seeing the posts on the forums, there are thousands of people who have the same Green Screen problem.

I've never had any problem with Nvidia (whose cards I've been changing for 15 years)
Well, now I'm going back.
RMA of my card and I'm going to change it for a RTX2060, whose drivers are fully completed.

It's really disgusting to design such mediocre drivers... !!!

milyoz
Adept I

Hello guys, did you try to use the last pilote without adrenalin software installation,

like this: How to install AMD Drivers (without the installing Adrenaline Software) - YouTube  ?

I tried this with different drivers and never worked.  

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please could you provide this information as i see some of it is missing from your post. https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

A picture of the inside of your PC case and more information about your PSU would be helpful. 

0 Likes

• AMD Graphics Card
    • 5700xt
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • PC
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    •  Radeon Software20.4.2
  • Display Devices
    • ACER VG220Q
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
  • B450-A PRO
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • 600W BE QUIET
  • RAM
    • 32GB 3200MHZ 
0 Likes

Please can you provide a picture showing the internal of your pc case?

0 Likes
lje3apb
Journeyman III

I have the same problems. A piece of broken iron. You buy a product and wait a year or two for it to start working...we'll have to take an alternative. It's good to have it

chemkex
Adept I

Caffeine, I am having the same issues with my 5700xt 

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Rx5700xt Liquid Devil
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Home 64bit Build 19041 version 2004 
  • Driver version installed
    • 20.2.2 - Without adrenaline, or BSOD occurs 
  • Display Devices
    • BenQ XL2720Z, 1920x1080 @144 Display Port
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    •  Asus Prime X470-PRO - American Megatrends Inc. 5406, 11/13/2019
  • CPU/APU
    • Ryzen 7 2700x
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • E.g. Corsair TX-750M Gold certified 
  • RAM
    • Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (2x16GB DDR4 3200 C16 AMD Optimized) 

Describe your issue:

• unable to install recent drivers on windows 10 without a BSOD. 
  • GPU only stable when drivers are installed with windows 
  • GPU stutters (uncontrolled clock speed?) are noticeable at desktop, and become obvious when GPU is under load.
  • I now own a $600 paper weight. AMD please help!
0 Likes
laurentw
Adept I

Hi, some news :

My graphics card RX 5600 XT went back to the seller in RMA.
Exchange made for an GTX1660 

Everything works perfectly now, no more worries, no more black or green screen, the drivers works fine.

AMD deserves to go bankrupt!

Thanks Nvidia.

Never had a problem with Green Team cards ever in regards to drivers and working with I would say 99.9% of games.  I am glad you found a solution that worked for you.  I may have to do what you did with Sapphire.  I already messaged them about my RX 5700 XT.  What is sad is I really wanted to go all AMD to stick it to the big guys and this experience is making me not to want to even get Ryzen related hardware.

0 Likes

Ok finally solved my Black Screen and reboot issues while gaming on my 5700XT and have a 100% solution to the problem.

I purchased a MSI 5700XT Gaming X graphic card in November 2019 after having many AMD/ATI cards in the past since 2009 and having not issues at all with previous AMD cards. The 5700XT card has been great however in August 2020 I noticed a Black Screen and reboot after playing the Rust game for about 16 hours. In four months since the issue has gotten much worse from every two weeks, weekly, every three days, every day, 3 x times a day and now a Black Screen reboot  6 x times a day while playing Rust.

My Computer specs include;

• Asus Prime X470-PRO Prime MB (5601 Bios)
  • Ryzen 9 3900X CPU (Noctua NH-D15 air cooler)
  • 2 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3000MHz memory
  • MSI 5700XT Gaming X graphic card
  • Seasonic Platinum 1000w power supply
  • Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL case with 2 x 140mm fans at the bottom and 120mm back fan
  • Radeon software drivers 20.2.2

I have tried a number of ways to fix the Black Screen and reboot issue while gaming including;

• Complete reinstall of Windows 10 Pro
  • New power supply (had a Corsair 860W)
  • Tried all of the Radeon software drivers from July 2019 to November 2020 using DDU to uninstall the old driver first before install
  • Selected the Standard profile for the Radeon software with “Enhanced Sync” disabled along with most other graphics settings disabled
  • Pulled the graphics card out and reinstalled
  • Tried the MSI 570XT Gaming X graphic card in a different computer with the same Black Screen reboot issues

I feel the problem is that every 5700XT reference and partner cards are all clocked much too high from the factory (all overclocked). The only way to fix this and be 100% reliable is to setup the 5700XT to the same power and clock settings as the 5700 (non XT) card.

Using the Radeon software set the “Performance Tuning" to manual and;

• Adjust the power limit to 150Watts GPU chip power (using GPU-Z power reading), this is -20 on the 5700XT reference card and -30 on the MSI 5700XT Gaming X card
  • Adjust the Boost Frequency to 1900Mhz, this is limited to 1750Mhz max by the reduced power limit

You can set the power and frequency higher however the card will not be 100% reliable. It will however be much better than with the reference or partner card settings and will not Black Screen and reboot as much. The performance hit for the 5700XT is about -7% to -8% which is about the 2060 super or 2070 (non -super) levels however you have a completely stable graphics card.    

0 Likes

I've kept having the occasional blackout.

MB: ASUS® ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
PSU: CORSAIR 850W RMx
RAM: 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (8 x 8GB)
GFX: 8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT

The only error show in the Event Logs is the event 56 ACPI 15 I'm not particularly versed with ACPI but from what I've read is a system originally used by the OS to attempt to control power management specifically for energy efficiency, in other words it powers off/hibernates peripherals when they aren't in use so they can be woken or at the very least lowers the power usage.

From what I could understand, One of the power state changes can be based on CPU usage (Idletime) and when it powers down through idling, it can flush the caches (I'd assume L3) I'd guess if the caches were flushed from the wrong core being monitored by ACPI that it would literally cease all functions (namely a blackscreen).

For this reason I've currently Disabled the ACPI through the Motherboards BIOS, I don't know if it will fix the problem (too early to say) I thought I would mentioned it thought and when enough time has passed I'll mention if it's stablised my experience.

0 Likes

Okay an update. 

I ended up with anothr BIOS update, flashed the Motherboard and well it reset the settings and I still got the problems.  So disabling PSS didn't really seem to work.

However...  I installed the ASUS AI suite 3 and let it balance the fan setup and that seems to have fixed the problem.  I guess it was due to me having had older cards where you need to hear the fans running to know it's staying cool and I'd ramped the fans up without actually needing to.  

0 Likes

A further update: 

I ended up with another blackscreen, so I had to re-examine what I had initially considered.  I know it will appear I've been clutching at straws for answers, however it's the only way to try and find a satisfactory conclusion to the elusive bug.  As part of the problem is actually working out what is causing it for there ever to be a chance of a solution in regards to it.

My first initial consideration was originally down to encryption over the HDMI and my thought originally was on sound (prior to the other things I tried).  I've not gone full circle but I have realised (and apparantly others have mentioned it to) it is likely down to HDCP.

I use an old (2014) Toshiba TV for my PC screen.   I think that it's HDCP compliant, however it's likely an older version.  That in itself isn't the issue however since the blackscreen can't be remedied by just turning the display on and off.  (requires a reboot).  This made me consider if perhaps its to do with the encryption, or more importantly the method applied as DRM.

When the computer first boots up, it becomes a HDCP transmitter and the monitor/display a reciever.  Now I'm wondering that when I access a game, if the "fullscreen" environment triggers a change to the HDCP encryption keys which aren't initially noticed, then alt-tabbing in and out of the different environments eventually causes a key confliction which in turn shuts off the encryption and aborts the HDMI feed.

I'd also hazard that perhaps anything that varies bitrate or framerate could also cause the keys to fail.  Now this is a problem that is likely due to various new ways AMD is trying to deal with energy usage and temperature yield.  (variable FPS etc through Freesync and Radeon Chill etc.)

Furthermore is the capacity to use a Higher resolution than native (VSR), if a game or program can use a higher resolution than is native the question would be if HDCP see that as a peripheral change.

As you can guess I'm not 100% sure, someone out there probably has a far more intricate understanding of the HDCP compliance in regards to variable bitrates etc. 

In any event I'm now testing having turned off HDCP through Adrenalins Settings>Display> Overrides  (This should be fine for my old 1080p TV, however it might not be so simple with anything 4k or higher)

0 Likes

A further update:

I managed to work out where the real problem was.  This has been a troublesome bug/crash since it wasn't something that could easily be pinned down (thus why I ran with a number of false conclusions first).

The blackscreen crash is actually caused by my ASUS motherboard I assume protecting itself from power surges caused by the AURA software either being set to game LED effects or cycling lighting. 

The LED backlighting effects uses CPU cycles to operate however I'm pretty sure its just down to what the lights are doing at the time coupled with user interaction on the mouse or keyboard which accounts for why it was so difficult to pin why the blackscreen would occur.   It also only seemed to occur while the system had a game loaded, so it really points to the Game dynamic setting being on in the AURA software.

Setting a static LED colour to the keyboard/mouse and setting the dynamic gaming toggle to OFF in the Aura settings seems to have done the trick.  No crashes during game session.  99% sure it's the fix in my case at least since I've ran with no crashes for over a week.

0 Likes

Update:

As you can tell by all the prior posts, I tried a whole bunch of things to solve the problem.  Each appear to be the fix until well it wasn't.  I purposely kept all the posts intact though, so people could see what I tried and mentioned where it failed.

I worked out the solution eventually, it was actually the OSs handling of the SSD.

By default windows has Write behind the Cache enabled on internal drives and unfortunately that would causing system instability. 

I've been crash free since disabling it on my SSD drives.  (I've also seen a number of performance improvements by doing so too, such as FPS increase, CPU microstutter reduction, energy efficiency increase and temperature reduction)

So Disabling "Write behind the Cache" on the internal SSD is the ultimate solution to the problem in this particular case.

0 Likes

Okay as you can guess I tried a whole bunch of things, it stabilised for a while and then the problem would reoccur.

The problem was in some games after a while I'd get an occasional intermittent flicker which is when I knew there was going to be a crash.  Then it would go blackscreen, it would hang completely  (The OS wasn't running in the background anymore)

Since then I tried using the Ryzen Master "Game Mode" setting to reduce the cores to 16 (and run in legacy) and it seemingly has solved the flicker/crash.  That would suggest the problem was down to either a memory leak where the cores were bottlenecking with the GFX card or the OS deciding that unused cores could be used for background tasks since they were idle.  In any sense, dropping the core numbers for the games effected seems to have solved it entirely. (Solved!) 

All prior mentioned attempts at dealing with it can be ignored, however it was good to step through finding out what the issues was overall.

0 Likes
plzfix
Journeyman III

Same issue - details below. 

System

• ASUS ROG STRIX 5700 XT 
  • Windows 10 Pro - 190042
  • Drivers = 20.5.1
  • Samsung SyncMaster over HDMI 
  • ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (non-wifi) - BIOS: 7803
  • Ryzen 7 1800x 
  • Corsair rmx850 (gold)
  • Corsair DDR4 3200 - 32GB (CMK32GX)

Issue: 

• Black Screen of Dead while gaming - doesn't matter if it's LoL or Warzone - I have adjusted the fan curve to keep the fan always on and temps between 60 - 75
0 Likes

What speed is your RAM at, and at which timings?   

0 Likes
abrahammtz84
Journeyman III

Hi,

I´ve been experiencing issues with my 5700 xt nitro+ since last year, I have installed many drivers and experiencing errors until a few days.

Randomly Issues:

Screen flickering with chrome, youtube, etc.

Blue screens with games, programs, even if I´m in the desktop. 

Black screen, crashes with almost every game.

When playing games at some point the game freezes and my computer rebooted.

The solution that is working for now:

-Uninstall drivers with DDU.

-I have installed the 20.7.1 drivers again

-Installed my chipset driver.

In the Radeon Software I left the Graphics profile to Standard because every option are disabled by default.

Graphics Menu all Disabled.

Display Menu all Disabled except for AMD Fressync.

In Performance / Tuning menu I choose: Tuning Control / Automatic and Auto Tuning / Default.

I´m not sure if you change the parameters manually problems will appear

I think there is a weird issue in the Radeon Software with the Graphics Card if you enable any option like Virtual Super Resolution, Image Sharpening, etc Issues are going to appear 

If you enable and disabled any option the issues are going to appear SO dont enable anything.

I hope this workaround works for you. Do some tests.

English is not my native language.

0 Likes
teoretic
Adept I

I had the same problems with a gigabyt rx 5700xt board, black screen and freezer. I tested everything you tested above with DDU and etc, but nothing.

The solution for me was as follows:

• Update to the latest adrenaline version, which is Adrenaline 2020 Edition 20.9.1 now for me. Still black screen after 5 min of a game play or benchmark.
  • I changed the old 700w PSU with a newer 600w and it worked better, less often a black screen, but still a black screen from time to time in Games. 
  • I decreased the maximum frequency from 2034 to 1999.
  • I lowered its voltage quite a bit and increased the fan speed a bit.  And everything became Stable.

It did not decrease the performance but on the contrary it increased more in the benchmark, and FPS was more stable. Since then no problem, everything goes perfectly and much colder.

I think all rx 5000 video cards have too high voltage and that is why they are so unstable.

follow steps from this youtuber to lower the voltage and everything it does and see if it will solve your problem with the black screen (I lowered the voltage even more than he did):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN3n63laxEA&t=707s&ab_channel=AncientGameplays

0 Likes

Ok after struggling with this Black Screen and Reboot issue (while gaming) for last four months now I think I have the ultimate and final 100% fix!

I purchased my MSI 570XT Gaming X in November 2019 and have been very happy with its performance up to August 2020 where I had my first black screen reboot while playing Rust. This initially only happen every two weeks after playing the game for up to 16 hours. Then black screens reboots; every week, every three days, daily, 3 times a day and now up to 6 times a day playing Rust for months later.

Here is my system Specs;

• Asus X470-PRO Prime MB (5601 Bios)
  • 2 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR4-3000 memory
  • Ryzen 9 3900X CPU
  • Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W power supply
  • Windows 10 Pro (always up to date)
  • AMD Graphics Driver 20.2.2 (this appears to be the most stable?)
  • Dell 30” and two Dell 24” monitors all 16:10

Tried everything to fix the black screen reboot including;

• A fresh Windows 10 Install
  • New power supply (had a Corsair 860W)
  • Tried all drivers from July 2019 until November 2020 using DDU to uninstall first
  • Single monitor only (I have three monitors)
  • Set graphics profile to standard with “Enhanced Sync” disabled and almost all others options disabled
  • Removed the card and reinstalled
  • Tried the graphics card in a different computer and has the same black screen  issues with games

Here is the fix and the reason why. All 5700XT reference and board partner cards are all clocked to high by a large margin (overclocked from the factory) which results in an intermittent black screen during games and usually a reboot. The cards are only 100% reliable when clock the same as a 5700 (non XT).

To achieve 5700 settings using manual “Tuning” mode;

• Set maximum power to 150W GPU power (using GPU-Z) therefore -20 for a reference card and -30 for the MSI 570XT Gaming X
  • Set maximum Frequency to 1900MHz (will normally only reach 1750MHz because of the maximum power setting)

If you set the GPU power higher the card will not be 100% stable however it will be more stable than the defaults for the 5700XT reference and board partner cards.

0 Likes